Monday, October 06, 2014

 
Jack’s Winning Words 10/6/14
“Put one person in a jungle and they’re dinner…Twenty people and you have a village.”  (Charles Goodnight)  It may seem strange, but I don’t mind paying my taxes.  I understand that our community would not be what it is without the residents joining together as taxpayers to make it so.  Think of the “villages” you belong to and how important it is for members to work together.  It’s a jungle out there.  We need each other at home, at work… and in the USA.    ;-)  Jack 

FROM TARMART REV:  I would suppose the same would go for the one who chooses to tithe to the local church of their choice . . . how the church uses their tithe would fall on the leadership making those decisions and leaving their accountability to God alone. Their blessing is derived from their obedience to what they felt was from God in giving in such a manner??====JACK:  Trust is a word that seems to be used in negative situations these days.  "Don't trust....(You name it!)"  That's too bad.   One thing is for certain...IN GOD WE TRUST!

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I agree about the necessity of community and the need for cooperative efforts United for a cause of righteous action. I don't mind paying taxes either...it's the manner for how they are wasted and/or misused that bothers me. If a child misuses a toy does the parent continue to provide more toys for misuse, while claiming that it is good for a child to have toys?====JACK:  The rules for our "village" give us the opportunity to elect those we trust to use our taxes for what is best for us.  "Waste and misuse" are a betrayal of the trust that we have placed in people we have voted for.  The success of the system depends on trust.  So, I continue to pay taxes.  The alternative is something I do not want.

FROM PASTOR JAN:  I thought I was the only one who gave thanks that I earned enough money to be a taxpayer, and for all the good things we enjoy because of those taxes.  I am not always happy with the way the money is spent, but I certainly am grateful for highways and laws & personnel to protect us.  Thanks for your comment!====JACK:  Even the tax-rate is something that our society gives us an opportunity to vote for.  You get what you ask for.  There is no free lunch (water).  Our society provides help for the needy, but only in ways that society wants (votes for).

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I'm with you...I also don't mind paying my taxes.  Some will say, "I wouldn't mind paying taxes if they would use good judgment spending the money."  Well, it takes everyone's participation to determine what "good judgment" is.  Community residents have to get involved...go to town meetings, talk with your representatives, write letters to the newspapers, volunteer to serve on committees, and vote.  Collectively taxpayers can accomplish a lot more for the community and more people benefit from it.  Last but not least, it all culminates in civic pride. ====JACK: Often, what is missing is a willingness of the "village" members to work together after the election results are in.  I guess that's reality, but some would like utopia. 

FROM PAUL IN ST. PAUL:  i don't mind paying my taxes as long as i believe that the  $$$ is well spent.  that, of course, is always the rub.  but yes,  we need to support our community and we do that best thru our taxes.  they support so many varying programs.====JACK:  Even in Jesus' day, the public did not like the tax collectors...and how the taxes were used.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We don't mind paying or dues but it would be nice to pay a lot less.  Sometimes two can create a jungle!  You should see the basement when they grandkids are here!  (They do pick it all up when they leave!).====JACK:  To pay a lot less might mean doing with a lot less.  It's human nature, I guess, to want more and to pay less.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  there is a difference between paying your share, & contributing to a crooked, overgrown & inefficient government.====JACK:  I take it that you voted in the elections that chose the people to be your representatives in making governmental decisions. ====LIZ:  my candidates were not necessarily elected.  there are rats in both parties. & ineffective, inefficient & downright crooked people get elected. in the private sector they would be fired. but they have become absolutely emboldened of late. TERM LIMITS!====JACK:  In elections, there are winners, and there are losers.  In a democracy it means that those who lost an election have to endure frustration until the next election.  We have term limits in Michigan, and I haven't noticed any change in...politics, as usual.  You'll have an opportunity to vote again next month.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As one wit said long ago, the only sure things in life are death and taxes...Bob Hope once commented, "I love to go to Washington, if only to be near my money!" :-)  But most of us fortunate to live in the USA  are happy to pay taxes... Govt. now top-heavy in Bureau's, and welfare has spread far and wide, but still we are fortunate to live here, compared to most places in the world!  Good WW to remember today!====JACK:  Being alone in the jungle means that we don't have to worry about taxes and mismanaged government.  It just means that we have to worry about other things that are much worse.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: 
i consider taxes as a gift that i can give do to help others and what others can do for the collective whole.  it does take a village.====JACK:  When I was in the "church business" I knew that I could not please everyone with my leadership, so...1) I had in mind where the church at large was headed; 2) I tried to gauge the feelings of the congregation; 3) Then, I tried to lead in the direction that I felt was the best way to go.


1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I agree about the necessity of community and the need for cooperative efforts United for a cause of righteous action. I dont mind paying taxes either...it's the manner for how they are wasted and/or misused that bothers me. If a child misuses a toy does the parent continue to provide more toys for misuse, while claiming that it is good for a child to have toys?