Thursday, October 23, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1023/14
“Monkey see--Monkey do!”  (African Folklore)  Boston is known for its Harvard Univ, but did you know that it’s also the home of Monkey College?  A group called, Helping Hands, trains capuchin monkeys to help disabled people, similar to how seeing-eye dogs assist the blind.  They can turn on light switches, the TV, the computer, turn magazine pages and even scratch an itch.  It’s amazing how animals and people can work together.  Now, if only….    ;-)  Jack

   FROM TW IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you!! Today a team meeting on how we can work together. ====JACK:  In various ways, we are all members of a team...starting with the home...at work...in the community...etc.  How many teams are you a part of?  The number is surprising when you begin to count them.

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  FYI--I've started a non-profit project titled, "PETS FOR VETS & SENIORS", with the Lee Way Foundation for that very reason.====JACK:  What kinds of pets are you working with?  Any monkeys?  What are the details?

FROM TARMART FRED:  Enough said . . .====JACK:  Better done than said!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I USED TO QUOTE THAT TO MY GRANDKIDS; "MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO, MONKEY GET IN TROUBLE, TOO!"  THEY UNDERSTOOD....! I HADN'T HEARD OF THS MONKEY COLLEGE, BUT AM NOT SURPRISED.  I'M NOT SURPRISED THEY CAN DO THIS, HARD AS IT IS TO IMAGINE....I RECENTLY READ  THAT WE SHARE 97% DNA WITH CHIMPANZEES, AND A HIGH PERCENTAGE WITH MICE!!  "WHAT IS MAN THAT THOU ART MINDFUL OF HIM???!!====JACK:  There is so much that we do not understand, and, yet, we pontificate as though we "know it all."

FROM JAYHAWKER DON:  Am I the first to move Harvard to Cambridge, MA?
By the way, I think the Boston area is the "University City" of America with two or maybe three dozen universities.====JACK:  I call myself a Detroiter, even though I live in a suburb.  I think it's the same way with Harvard and Boston...besides, for the purpose of linking Harvard and the Monkey College (which is located in Boston), I chose to relocate Harvard, knowing that some pedant might call me on it.

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  When I was at Harvard Business School in the 60s, I heard a story about a grad student in Cambridge who lived halfway between MIT and Harvard Yard. He bought groceries and went through the “up to six items” checkout line with more than six items. The cashier said, “Wazzamattah? You from Hahvad and can’t count, or MIT and can’t read?” ====JACK:  That's the funniest one I've heard in a long time...and, BTW, I do know that Harvard is in Cambridge.  I was taking poetical license.  I suppose I should have written, M.I.T.

No comments: