Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 10/22/14
“The main danger in this life are the people who want to change everything…or nothing.”  (Nancy Astor)  There are 3 synonyms for “change” that I especially like: Revision: to look at situations with new eyes.  “We don’t always have to do it the same way!”    Diversity: Vanilla’s OK, but try some Neapolitan, for a change.  Metamorphosis: Pleasant surprises can happen with change, like the toad becoming a prince.  What changes have happened in your life?    ;-)  Jack

FROM JIMBO IN HONG KONG:  Disagree.  The main danger in this life are those people who want to change God's Plans...in favor of their own "dreams".====JACK:  I guess you'll have to take your disagreement up with Lady Astor in the afterlife, if you happen to be in the same place.  She died in 1964.====JIMBO:  Disagree again.  She already knows the foolishness of her statement.  I would prefer to take my disagreement up with anybody who is still alive but agrees with her.  Really, is there any doubt we are all going to the same place?

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  Change needs to be for the better.   Neapolitan stinks.   How about Praline Pecan?====JACK:  Maybe I should have suggested a visit to Baskin Robbins where they have 31 flavors, one for every day of the month.  In their history they've tested more than 1000 flavors, including Pecan Praline.

FROM TARMART REV:  It's my mirror that keeps changing, not me!! 0;-/===JACK:  Maybe someone has secretly replaced it with one of those funhouse mirrors.

FROM CPA BOB:  I see two broad categories:  Very Personal (of course, everything is personal one way or another) and Education/Career.  As I think about it, I’m surprised about the many changes that come to mind immediately.  So, on the very personal front:  Finding my wife, having children, seeing them get married, having grandchildren.  Obviously, these are ordinary for many people, but unique for each of us.  One's perspective on life can change dramatically, of course, with each major step.
Education/Career:  My grandfather (mostly) & my parents enabled me to go to Michigan.  Before discovering accounting in my senior year, I was pre-med, pre-law, majored in psychology and thought I might be a clinical psychologist!  Among many other changes, I left secure employment to start my own accounting practice.  It would be interesting to know what other people responded to your question.====JACK:  There are some changes that come about because of our own decisions.  And there are others that come about "accidentally."  I happen to think that others occur because God opens a door or closes a window.  I've experienced enough mysterious events to believe in a spiritual presence.  The famous psychiatrist Carl Jung wrote, "Bidden or not bidden, God is present."  I've seen those words on a plaque, written in Latin:  "VOCATUS ATQUE NON VOCATUS DEUS ADERIT."

FROM JK IN CALIFORNIA:  Well, needless to say, I've had some very big changes in my life.  Things are going great, challenging at times for sure, but overall, I'm happier***====JACK:  Burl Ives used to sing these words..."As you go through life make this your goal   Watch the donut, not the hole."  With all the changes that come in this life, remember to keep focused on what's important!

FROM CHESTER THE GOOD:  I changed the sheets this morning. Looking forward to a good night's sleep.====JACK:  Do you ever change your mind after it's been made up?

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I like the concept of metamorphosis....not that I've seen many toads become princes. But moving from childhood to adulthood comes to mind as does growing into life's work, profession...parenthood...retirement age....and the ever growing awareness of God's gifts and everpresent support. And I continue to be in a state of metamorphosis, I hope. Another mind and soul stretcher...WW.====JACK:  I like the sound of metamorphosis.  I also like the study of etymology (not entomology).  In the study of Greek, we learned to break apart "common" words. like metamorphosis (meta=change and morphe=form).  More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.
 

2 comments:

SBP said...

I like the concept of metamorphosis....not that I've seen many toads become princes. But moving from childhood to adulthood comes to mind as does growing into life's work, profession...parenthood...retirement age....and the ever growing awareness of God's gifts and everpresent support. And I continue to be in a state of metamorphosis, I hope. Another mind and soul stretcher...WW.

SBP said...

Not at all! I love learning....thanks.