Monday, September 08, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 9/8/14
“There are still over one billion Chinese who don’t care if we win or lose.”  (John McKay)  How did “your” team do this past weekend?  Coach McKay puts winning and losing in perspective.  There are things in this world more important than a game.  Yes, I care about game outcomes, but I need a reminder to be more concerned about the people in this world who have needs far greater than who wins or loses a game.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TRIHARDER:  All the news coverage about death of a comedian skews our world, too.  Out of sight/sound, out of mind.  as loved as these comedians were and as many people as their lives touched, there are many, many important news events that don't get covered or get overshadowed because of the media's adoration.  ISIS was still killing, there is still conflict in Syria and girls are still getting enslaved in Africa.  ...====JACK:  Sometimes, entertainment is called a "diversion."  Even the way some funerals are held can be called a "diversion."  A homeless person dies on the street.  Who cares?  Give me the score of yesterday's game, or tell me the latest gossip!====TH:  I guess that's the point.  Talk about the countless of homeless dying on the street -- no coverage.  One celebrity and everyone gets out their towels. ...====JACK:  Did you notice the difference in the coverage of the deaths of Robin Williams and Joan Rivers? 

FROM TARMART REV:  Throughout life, we've heard it said, "It's not whether you win or lose. it's how you play the game!" A team effort. When Paul had an audience with the Apostles in Jerusalem "presenting the gospel he preached and the revelation he had received", he said "All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along" . . . sounds like good wisdom for us today, don't you think, Jack!!====JACK:  Jesus had a team, too.  On "Draft Day,"he picked them, one by one...Peter, Andrew, James and John.  Next came Philip, Thomas, too, Peter and Bartholomew.  James the one they called the Less, Simon, also Thaddaeus.  Twelfth disciple, Judas made.  Jesus was by him betrayed.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I forgot to add my name: Ray.====JACK:  Does that mean you've gotten to the point where you couldn't care less about the "games" in which you're not involved?

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I am very clear that the ones who win or lose a game are the ones who actually played the game. The rest of us are merely watching. Although I enjoy excellence of all types, I am aware that I can make no claim of victory or loss by virtue of another's effort. I can't use the pronoun "we" when referring to the Wolverines, Spartans, Red Wings, Tigers, or Lions, etc. As you pointed out, it is best to keep perspective; and I would add that we find where we might excel, and remember to serve others our best efforts.===JACK:  But, but you are really a concerned player when it comes to Emmanuel's team.  You see the goal and do what you can to get there.  Go church, go!

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  AMEN ! ! !====JACK:  So, the Sports section is not first for you?  BTW, which of the "funnies" do you like best?

 FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Such a good point.  But...Go Lions! HA!====JACK:  The Lions are the NFL's version of the Chicago Cubs.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! LOVE IT!!  ESPECIALLY SINCE BOTH THE CUBS AND BEARS LOST YESTERDAY....BEING A FAN OF THESE TWO LOSER TEAMS, KEEPS ME PRETTY PHILOSOPHICAL ABOUT WINS AND LOSSES; THERE REALLY ARE MORE IMMEDIATE AND IMPORTANT CONCERNS, LIKE "WHAT WILL WE FEED THE HOMELESS ON TUESDAY NIGHT?"  OR "DO WE HAVE ENOUGH  VOLUNTEERS FOR MEALS ON WHEELS"?  ETC, ETC.  BUT I STILL ROOT FOR MY FAVORITES, AND ENJOY THE GAMES; MORE SO IF WE HAPPEN TO WIN,  CHINESE TO THE CONTRARY!! ====JACK:  Like my mother, when "my" team is losing, I walk out of the room.  Sometimes I just go to the computer to see if there are any new messages.  Out of sight, out of mind!  My onfession for the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very clear that the ones who win or lose a game are the ones who actually played the game. The rest of us are merely watching. Although I enjoy excellence of all types, I am aware that I can make no claim of victory or loss by virtue of another's effort. I can't use the pronoun "we" when referring to the Wolverines, Spartans, Red Wings, Tigers, or Lions, etc. As you pointed out, it is best to keep perspective; and I would add that we find where we might excel, and remember to serve others our best efforts.

Ray Gage said...

I forgot to add my name: Ray Gage