Monday, September 29, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 9/29/14
“We are all manufacturers.  Some make good; others make trouble; and still others make excuses.”  (A.A. Stagg)  Stagg was one of great football coaches of all time.  The Univ of Chicago fired him as their coach thinking that he was too old at age 70.  He kept coaching at other places and retired when he was 96.  The precursor of the atomic bomb was manufactured under the grandstand of the Univ of Chicago’s abandoned Stagg Field.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  I'm up and at it now to "manufacturer" a brand new day and week never lived in before . . .join with me, Jack??====JACK:  "This is the day the LORD has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."  (Psalm 118:24)  I'm going to try to be happy enjoying God's creation.

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Listen to the excuses for the Ryder Cup. It's just a game of golf, and look how it has become so "important" that excuses are even thought to be necessary!====JACK:  It's hard for me to look at golf as a team sport.  However, I do think that an occasional match-play tournament breaks up the sameness of week after week medal play.  I like the Steve Martin refrain, "Well, excu-u-use me!" 

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  What a wonderful story of this coach!!!!! And the people who asked him to coach--even at 96!!!!====JACK:  Maybe the Michigan Wolverines should reactivate Lloyd Carr. 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I VAGUELY REMEMBER AN "ALONZO STAGG" COACHING... SUPPOSE THAT IS HIM!  WONDERFUL TO HAVE THE HEALTH AND STRENGTH TO CONTINUE, UNTIL THAT ADVANCED AGE!  I'[M PLAYING THE RAIL GOLF COURSE WITH MY SON JOHN AND FRIENDS THIS AFTERNOON, AND HOPE I CAN GET THROUGH ALL 18 LONG HOLES, AT 84!!  IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY FOR IT ANYWAY!!  INTERESTING SIDELIGHT ABOUT THE MANUFACTURE OF THE PRE-ATOMIC BOMB! YOU ARE A WEALTH OF TRIVIA!!  HOPEFULLY, WILL GO OUT AND MAKE GOOD IN THE WORLD!====JACK:  I wonder if you'll still be putt....ing along when you're 96?  I like the rhythmic sound of the name, Amos Alonzo Stagg.

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Listen to the excuses for the Ryder Cup. It's just a game of golf, and look how it has become so "important" that excuses are even thought to be necessary!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story of this coach!!!!! And the people who asked him to coach--even at 96!!!!
S.H. in MI