Friday, September 19, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 9/19/14
 “We need each other, and the sooner we learn that, the better for us all.”  (Erik Erikson)  The people of Scotland have chosen to remain a part of Great Britain.  I wonder if the 16-yr-old vote made the difference?  Now comes the healing and the reaffirmation of interdependence.  “No man is an island” is a truth that needs to be re-stated in many situations..nations..religions..homes.  We are voting our wish each day.    ;-)  Jack 

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  One of my favorite heroes!  Love his philosophy!====JACK:  I like his idea that both "trust" and "mis-trust" must be understood in order for there to be "hope".  I think that's a lesson that needs to be learned by both sides in a seemingly divided country...and where there are personal differences of opinion.

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  I'm not much of a betting man, but I'm betting that after they evaluate the votes, they'll find it is the 16 year olds that wanted to break away because they don't appreciate how much wisdom there is in your message.  P.S. If I win you'll owe me a bagel.====JACK:  I tend to agree with you.  The younger generation(s) seem to be more accepting of the idea that the newer is the better.  The older generation(s) seem to be more prone to nostalgically recall the good old days!

FROM DR IN MICHIGAN:  This one especially spoke to me today. Thank you! It is exactly what I needed to hear!====JACK:  "I shot an arrow into the air,  It fell to earth, I knew not where."  I feel that way often when I send out Winning Words.  I'm glad today's arrow landed near you.  God is always speaking to us...sometimes in surprising ways.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  The people of the Southern United States decided in 1865 to remain a part of the Union....their options were limited.====JACK:  There is still talk of secession, and not just in Texas.  Even some in the U.P. want to be independent from the L.P. 

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  amen!====JACK:  Your song for the day..."People who need people!"

FROM EMT SINGS IN TRAVERSE CITY:  One of my own "Thoughts For The Day" is:  "Treat others as if your life depends on them---it truly does you know!"====JACK:  Along the same line...I was driving in a subdivision and saw a sign, reading:  Drive as though one of your kids lived on this street.

FROM DR JUDY:  Really nice!!!! So true. Great spin on this situation!====JACK:  "This" situation...and others, too.  We need each other!

FROM TARMART REV:  Hadn't kept up on that until this morning...would have been interesting to see how that would shake out if it went the other way...ironically, there may be a state or two here in America who would desire independence themselves. ====JACK:  The Civil War was fought over this issue...among others.

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  How true!! Love Barbra Streisand's song "People who need people are the luckiest people!" My job is do dependent and interdependent on people it couldn't be done without the support of others!  TGIF!! Have a terrific day & weekend!====JACK:  When I came to Michigan to start a new congregation, we had a slogan...People are our only business."

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  A friend posted on my Facebook "Friends of ours who are English, however, want Scotland to stay united because the Scots keep the parliament more progressive." Made me wonder how the English would have voted should they have had an opportunity to vote yes or no on Scotland staying united. It is kind of nice that some people want to stay together and continue to "work out their differences and common problems." I found it a refreshing vote of hope for a peaceful part of their neck of the woods.====JACK:  Living together in any kind of relationship is a matter of making compromises.  We can't always have it, "MY WAY!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend posted on my Facebook "Friends of ours who are English, however, want Scotland to stay united because the Scots keep the parliament more progressive." Made me wonder how the English would have voted should they have had an opportunity to vote yes or no on Scotland staying united. It is kind of nice that some people want to stay together and continue to "work out their differences and common problems." I found it a refreshing vote of hope for a peaceful part of their neck of the woods.
S.H. in MI