Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 9/16/14
“Nothing is as bad as it seems, and nothing is as good as it seems.”  (Lou Holz)  Holz is a true motivator of people.  I enjoyed watching him on the sidelines, “motivating” his players…and “correcting” the officials.  He’s often asked to speak at business meetings, because he makes sense in a down-to-earth way.  Lou says:  “I follow 3 rules.  Do the right thing, do the best you can and always show people you care.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I met him 20 years ago at a golf outing in Indiana and what you see is what you get. He is the genuine article.====JACK:  I was walking with my pastor one day, and he farted.  I knew then that he was the genuine article.

FROM TARMART REV:  I can sure take that with me today . . . thanks.====JACK:  Your response reminds me of the song I learned in Sunday School..."Take the name of Jesus with you---Take it then where e're you go."

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  I agree.  Charismatic in a very folksy, yet effective way.  I watch few sports commentators, however I will keep on if Lou is there with the former Redskins lineman, Mark May, both of  whom have very different styles and approaches, but seem to play off each other constructively, sometimes with a bit of an edge.====JACK:  Of course, he wasn't a football coach, but when John Wooden spoke, it was usually something worth listening to.====ME:  Another of the all time favorites because he was not only a great coach, but a great human being.

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I like/liked Lou Holtz for many years. Probably, especially when he was coach for Notre Dame. He exudes comfort with himself, respect and regard for others, as well as commitment to his teams. The "preachment" in our family has always been to "take the high road"....much like his three rules.====JACK:  I wonder what Lou is like when he's at home?

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i like lou. & notre dame.====JACK:  You can probably sing the Notre Dame fight song, too.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  Good morning.   Thanks for sharing your days and Winning Words.  Today was a two-fur.   I can picture Lou Holtz, good coach, good man.====JACK:  I liked to see his energetic strut.  He knew where he was going and what he was going to do.

1 comment:

SBP said...

I like/liked Lou Holtz for many years. Probably, especially when he was coach for Notre Dame. He exudes comfort with himself, respect and regard for others, as well as commitment to his teams. The "preachment" in our family has always been to "take the high road"....much like his three rules.