Monday, September 15, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 9/15/14
“What’s money?  A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to.”  (Bob Dylan)  This quote comes from a Dylan interview when he was at the peak of his popularity.  All he wanted out of life was to do what he wanted to do.  That was success!  Control what you can control; then, adjust.  BTW, what’s your favorite Dylan song?  I like “Highway 51.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I really like " Blowin in the Wind ."====JACK:  I think the word, melancholy, describes that song.  The words certainly describe the time when it was popular.  In fact, it is probably relevant today, as well.  I like the tune.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  What is success?    To me it is being at peace with one's self.   That, for me, begins with being at peace with God.    It goes from there to mean that we have wisely used our talents.   Somewhere in there it includes a good bowl of ice cream!====JACK:  Did you and Dr. Celms ever share a bowl of Whitey's together?

FROM TARMART REV:  I'll trust your choice, Jack . . . never followed him . . . he was Michigan artist, wasn't he . . . my brother-in-law followed his music and performances quite regularly. ====JACK:  I think that he was Duluth, Minnesota.  When you were younger, you were probably into learning Biblical choruses instead singing the popular songs of the time.

FROM MY LAWYER:  It has been said that the greatest song lyrics of the 20th century were Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone".   I don't necessarily agree, but that is my favorite of his.  He sure was a poet of his time.====JACK:  Think about it....  Do you like a song because of the words, or because of the tune?====LAWYER:  Both.  Some contemporary songs have lyrics that are not understandable, but the melody and beat are OK.

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I know a man who gets up very early in the morning so he can send inspiring and/or thought-provoking messages to a large constituency.  Proof of his success comes from the responses he receives and also from a very nice article in the September 14 Oakland Press. ====JACK:  I like what I do...and now have added a "brisk" 15 minute walk to the regimen.  I just got back and feel refreshed.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Can't think of many of his songs, but at one time liked Blue Moon, Can't Help Falling in Love, Blowin' in the Wind, and Christmas island and Do You Hear What I Hear?" I seem to remember he used "aint" a lot in his song titles...?  Would love to see the article about you in the Oakland Press. What a nice tribute!!  Not many of us can do "just what we want to"  all day, but more power to Bob D.!====JACK:  I'm surprised by the number of songs with ain't in the title.... Ain't Misbehavin'..He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother..Ain't Got No Sunshine..Ain't That A shame..I Ain't Got Nobody..Ain't Talking About Love....and many others.

PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Route 66====JACK:  I didn't know that Route 66 was his song.
Well if you ever plan to motor west
 Just take my way that's the highway that's the best
 Get your kicks on Route 66
 Well it winds from Chicago to L.A.
 More than 2000 miles all the way
 Get your kicks on Route 66
 Well goes from St. Louie down to Missouri
 Oklahoma city looks oh so pretty
 You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
 Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona
 Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino
 Would you get hip to this kindly tip
 And go take that California trip
 Get your kicks on Route 66
 Well goes from St. Louie down to Missouri
 Oklahoma city looks oh so pretty
 You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
 Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona
 Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino
 Would you get hip to this kindly tip
 And go take that California trip
 Get your kicks on Route 66

FROM CK IN MICHIGAN:  He did do that didn't he??====JACK:  But he still had questions, too, as his song, BLOWIN' IN THE WIND, indicates.

FROM CS UP NORTH:  I have a wonderful Dylan album that is the soundtrack for No Direction Home, a Martin Scorsese film about Dylan.  It's called "the bootleg series number 7" I'm just learning to appreciate a lot of the lyrics and the poetry. I like "highway 61 revisited - an alternative take."  I also like "like a rolling stone"--especially now that I understand  what it was about. That is, imploring his band to "roll right over the naysayers."  Evidently, this was one of his most exciting performances when he was  dressing down a famous naysayer.  The directive on the album is to "play it loud"!
Always enjoy your "words".  Keep up the good work.====JACK:  Many songs (particularly in the 60's) are message songs....like Blowin' In the Wind.

No comments: