Friday, August 15, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 8/15/14
“It’s sad when someone you know becomes some you knew.”  (Henry Rollins)  Buddy Holly would be 56 today, except for “the day the music died,” 2/3/59.  Yes, it is a sad day when loved ones become people we “knew.”  We all have them in our memories.  But such is life.  We live.  We die.  The in-between is what gives meaning.  Today, offer a prayer of thanks for those who, by their living, have made a difference to you.    ;-)  Jack

 FRFOM CZB IN COLORADO:  Thanks, Jack...Buddy Holly was born in 1936. He would be 76 today.  Thanks for trying to make me a little younger or older...not sure which!  LOL====JACK:  I expected responses to the quote (I think it's a good one) instead of on my commentary.  Oops! ====CZB:  At least you know I carefully read your wise words every weekday morning :)====JACK:  ...and I appreciate it, too.  I still can't figure out the "how" of my error.  Such is life.

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Amen.====JACK:  At least you didn't comment on my imperfections like the Tigers' fans did with Joe Nathan's latest outing.  Boooo!

FROM PLH IN MINNESOTA:  Jack,  that can't be right.  its been 65 years since his death.  he would be in his 90s, would he not? or is it a typo??====JACK:  No typo.  I just can't depend on myself to be a faultless proofreader.  But. it's a good quote, don't you think?====PLH:  its a great quote.  i liked the one about good habits/bad habits even better...====JACK:  If you were to have used the quote in reference to someone who became a somone you "knew," who might that be?

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Thanks, Jack...Buddy Holly was born in 1936. He would be 76 today.  Thanks for trying to make me a little younger or older...not sure which!====JACK:  Let's see...You are #3 today in pointing out that I'm not perfect.  Did you happen to read the quote?====PAUL:  Opps...sorry..yes..I did read the quote and appreciated it!====JACK: I remember the "day the music died."  It took the passage of time to appreciate Buddy Holly for what he was.  I think the same holds true for Robin Williams.  "We never miss the water 'til the well runs dry."

FROM PASTOR JAN:  Thank you, Jack!  I have a funeral to preach tomorrow for a man who was beloved by his friends, and made sure his daughter was raised in the church, but had no time for "religion".  Not only do I not have a lot to say about him, it is even difficult to "preach the resurrection" as my own pastor told me years ago.  Your WW for the day gives me a starting point.  Where I'll go from there, I do not yet know.====JACK:  A good starting point for a funeral message.  We can each relate to the thought of someone we "know" becoming someone we "knew."

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  For some reason, for many, many years now have been living in the circumstances of learning that "the in-between gives life meaning." Now it is the number of years my mother-in-law is living in an elderly way first in an independent living apartment and now in an assisted living residence. Now am also a member of our church team worshipping on Saturday afternoons at an assisted living here too. Also volunteering at the nearby nursing home, helping the residents play bingo and win change. What meaning are all these people living "their in-between livings" receiving? It's odd but, in a society which maybe overstresses doing and producing and consuming and planning and organizing itself and always seeking after "more" to fill all the voids we can't seem to escape from still having, all of us people all together, young, older and very old, need a set of these later years in which God "brings us up short and says 'whoa there, take some time to think upon what is the meaning of your "in=between living" while you still have some time left on this earth. I'm learning some good habits from these old people I know and a bigger perspective on things. God has a way of helping us by "taking problems and things out of our hands and into His." ====JACK:  In our society, much is made about the birth of a baby and the death of a well-known individual.  Thanks for calling attention to the importance of what happens in-between birth and death.   

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  We can't thank our Creator enough for giving us "memory".   We take advantage of it every day to enliven our conversation, when we reflect on activities or events we shared with family and friends who are no longer alive.  They will survive in our memories until that day when we become one of those persons others "knew".====JACK:  I've been saving this quote for just the right occasion.  Then, it occurred to me that if I waited too long, it might be used by someone else describing me as a person they "knew."

FROM JUDGE DENISE:  Thank You Pastor John Freed for lifting our spirits with your wonderful winning words! You make each day a meaningful one by allowing our minds to race and our spirits to breathe positive thoughts... Have a Blessed Day and Thank You again for all that you have done, do and will do to make a difference in all of our lives!====JACK:  I'm proud to count you as someone I "know."  You make a difference in this world in many ways.

FROM CK IN MICHIGAN:  I think Buddy Holly would be around 78 though? Great message either way. Enjoy!;-) ====JACK:  I suppose you read the details of the plane crash.  There are times when it's better to take the bus.  If Buddy were singing today, I wonder if he'd be looking like Mick Jagger.

FROM MY LAWYER:  Buddy Holly was born on September 7, 1936.  He would be 77 years old!!!  He probably died 56 years ago.  In fact, he died on February 3, 1959 at age 22.  My how time flies. ====JACK:  You attorneys are paid the BIG bucks to be able discover discrepancies.  YouTube allows me to see and hear how good Buddy could sing.

FROM S.B. IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you for your “Winning Words” today, so appropriate as we cherish memories of my mother.====JACK:  I'm sure that many of us will think about moms, dads, or other loved ones as we read this quote.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like.====JACK:  I like it, too!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  WHAT A SUCCINCT, TRUE, SAYING!!  ROBIN ROBERS (ANCHOR TO "GOOD MORNING AMERICA") SAID SHE REMENBERED SOMETHING HER MOM SAID AFTER HER DAD DIED. "YOU HAVE A CHOICE. YOU CAN HAVE SAD SORROW, OR HAPPY SORROW.."   ROBIN DECIDED TO FOLLOW HER ADVICE, AND CHOOSE THE LATTER.  THAT'S A GOOD THOUGHT , TOO, IF YOU CAN BE UPBEAT IN SORROW!  LOVE THE WW WORD TODAY...THINK OF SO MANY, NOW THAT I'M "ELDERLY"... ====JACK:  "Knew" will become "know-again" in the Sweet By and By.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, for many, many years now have been living in the circumstances of learning that "the in-between gives life meaning." Now it is the number of years my mother-in-law is living in an elderly way first in an independent living apartment and now in an assisted living residence. Now am also a member of our church team worshipping on Saturday afternoons at an assisted living here too. Also volunteering at the nearby nursing home, helping the residents play bingo and win change. What meaning are all these people living "their in-between livings" receiving? It's odd but, in a society which maybe overstresses doing and producing and consuming and planning and organizing itself and always seeking after "more" to fill all the voids we can't seem to escape from still having, all of us people all together, young, older and very old, need a set of these later years in which God "brings us up short and says 'whoa there, take some time to think upon what is the meaning of your "in=between living" while you still have some time left on this earth. I'm learning some good habits from these old people I know and a bigger perspective on things. God has a way of helping us by "taking problems and things out of our hands and into His."
S.H. in MI