Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 7/8/14
“The one thing that can solve our problems is dancing.”  (James Brown)  We once had someone do a ballet in church to the music of the Lord’s Prayer.  Beautiful!  A recent NY Times article told about a new dance called, Jookin, which combines ballet and rap.  It can be danced to various kinds of music…classical, rock n roll and probably church music, too.  Watch Lil Buck do it on YouTube.  What dances do you like?    ;-)  Jack 

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I danced for two miles Friday in the Naples 4th of July Parade. I carry the flag to lead the Republican Trolley ( float ). I danced to the music of the High School marching band in front and leading the Wounded Warriors behind us. My daughter, grandson and great grandson were with me. 4 Generations marching for Pride in America. The Naples community has great parades on St. Patricks Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, and we usually get upwards of 10,000 people. It is really wonderful.====JACK:  That's amazing...that an old fogey can dance for 2 miles.

FROM TARMART REV:  "What dances do you like?" . . . The one I'm anxious to watch you do first, Jack . . . I'll see if I can get the beat and hang of it before trying it out in public, myself!! ====JACK:  I tried dancing twice, and both times were disasters.  Now, I just watch and comment.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i'm with james.  i love to dance.  mark and i went to see the musical "brigadoon" last week.  the dancing was amazing!  it was at the goodman theatre which has quite a small stage.  i am in awe of how so much energy and movement can happen in such a small area.  thrilling!====JACK:  I like the scene in The Blues Brothers movie where James Brown dances in church.  Such enthusiasm.  BTW, enthusiasm means...Filled with the Spirit.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I like African dancing. One of our church members took some adult education lesson on African dancing and then, at the end of the VBS, all the kids were playing some home-made drums, the boombox was going with some drum music and we were all trying to dance African dancing. That was a lot of fun!!!!! ====JACK:  The fun might have continued if the kids and teachers could have danced during the Sunday worship service.

FROM LOUIE IN MICHIGAN:  A new movie about James Brown is to be released August 1.  Watch the trailer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2473602/  ====JACK:  James Brown does have some magical feet.

FROM  DAIRYLAND DONNA:  The twist was always my favorite. Now you know how old I am. ====JACK:  FROM  DAIRYLAND DONNA:  The twist was always my favorite. Now you know how old I am.====JACK:  If you can do (used to) the Twist, you can also probably do the Watusi, the Mashed Potato and the Funky Chicken.  Some "church people" said that the Twist was too provocative.====DONNA:  Yes, yes and yes. Wonder what those "church people" would think watching kid's version of dancing today.====JACK:  Times have changed, both inside and outside of the church....mostly for the better, in my opinion.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  What a neat quote! Ah yes, to  move to music is therapeutic for sure! At one time "Being a Smooth Dancer" was at the top of my list for a husband!! HA!  But I matured, eventually...We had teen-age dancers in our church, a couple of whom were members of Springfield Ballet Company, and I loved to watch them move to hymns and Christian Songs....Dressed very demurely in black leotards, with pink sashes, and yet the first few times I had them perform,  a couple of "old" people said, "My father would turn over in his grave to see this happening in the Sanctuary!!"  They got used to it, and even enjoyed it after awhile. (One apologized to me, for being negative about it !)   I think our Loving Lord enjoyed laughter, joyous singing and dancing and enthusiastic playing of instruments!   It frees the spirit!!====JACK:  In my first congregation there was a man who knew a lot about Indian lore and gathered a group of children to share with them some of his knowledge.  One of the things he taught was Indian dancing complete with tom toms.  A member of the church complained to me, because she believed those dances to be to a false God.  I don't believe her complaint rose to the level of bringing it to the Church Council.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like African dancing. One of our church members took some adult education lesson on African dancing and then, at the end of the VBS, all the kids were playing some home-made drums, the boombox was going with some drum music and we were all trying to dance African dancing. That was a lot of fun!!!!!