Friday, June 06, 2014

 Jack’s Winning Words 6/6/14
“We had a great time.”  (Don Zimmer)  I was at the game in St. Paul and heard the sound when DZ was hit in the head by a baseball.  He was unconscious for 2 weeks.  The event led to baseball’s requirement for batting helmets.  Zim was married on a baseball diamond to a girl he met in 10th grade.  He loved baseball, but he loved his wife and his home even more.  You can have a great time when you understand priorities.   ;-)  Jack

  FROM THE EDUCATOR:  Wow...what an experience!====JACK:  Yes, among the many ball games I've attended, it was the most memorable.    Some experiences have a way of separating themselves from all others.

FROM TARMART REV:   . . . had a few interesting times as well when I didn't fully understand the most proper priority at the time, as well . . .====JACK:   Or, as the saying goes, "We get so soon old and so late smart."

fROM WENZEL DAN:  Wow, you were there! Thanks for not beaning me! Jeff would’ve been OK…LOL.====JACK:  Beaning you?  A Wiffle-Ball wouldn't hurt that much.

FROM JB OF EJ:  I am borrowing this one for my Friday weekly commentary!   Hope that is ok with you Jack.====JACK:  The purpose of Winning Words is to take what resonates with you and share it with others.

FROM CUBS' FAN BB:  Liked Zimmer and did not even know these stories.  Gives a whole new meaning to the ”church of baseball”.====JACK:  Zimmer is known by most people as a Yankee coach and a Cubs manager, but he was a good ballplayer, too...with an appreciation of the value of a home, too.  As with most of us, there is more to our life that most people know about.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  God bless America, her allies, & the Greatest Generation on the 70th anniversary of D-Day.====JACK:  I was wondering if & when someone would notice that there wasn't a D-Day quote today.  I intended to do so, but multiple computer problems this week distracted me.  So, "They fight not for the, lust of conquest.  They fight to end the conquest.  They fight to liberate."  (FDR 6/6/1944)  I remember the day and how we listened to the radio which gave continuing updates on the progress of the invasion.  I would have used a General Patton quote, but I thought that it might be too "salty" for you.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Gary and I just got home from Toronto and "We had a great time!"  I can't imagine how that hit would have sounded.  I don't remember Don Zimmer but I will look him up.  This quote is a great one to be the last words of someone....."I had a great time...now I will have a better eternity!"====JACK:  I don't have to imagine, because I can still remember the sound.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  DZ would probably be surprised that the CUBS have won 3 in a row!! WOO_HOO! I think he was an excellent manager who connected with his players...and it was no secret that he always loved his home and family, and regretted separations from them. He did have a great time!====JACK: It must be difficult for those who professional baseball players to have a functional family life.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  again...sister...god-daughter...arloa and otto.. .hmmmmmmmmmmmm====JACK:  Since you're still happy, and you know it, say: AMEN!

No comments: