Monday, June 09, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 6/9/13
“You really don’t understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around, and why his parents will always wave back.”  (William Tammeus)  This is a quote that really needs no explanation.  Is there anyone who hasn’t ridden on a merry-go-round and waved?  I don’t know about you, but I like the music, too.    ;-)  Jack

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  the one in Como Park near the Fair Grounds is really fun but the music is also very loud!   you can hear it blocks away.  but it sure is nostalgic too.  have a good day, Jack.====JACK:  I wonder if there'll be merry-go-rounds in heaven...with softer music?

FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  It was good to know that as I ventured out, away from my parents "on my horse", I could make a return trip back to see that they were still there...and I could go on another round of adventure with merry thoughts and some confidence that my parents were my stability, and just around the next turn....so, I would smile and wave!====JACK:  I found two answers as to why people wave.  1) People are attracted to movement, so waving is a way of getting attention.  In ancient times it was a way of showing...I have no weapons.  I like the first reason better.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I love to ride the Carousel at Greenfield Village.====JACK:  Are you too old to smile and wave as you go round and round?

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i love a good carousal.  i still ride when given the chance. riding as a child was exciting for me, but also a bit scary.  the security of seeing and waving at my parents each time around proved the safety and fun of the whole situation!====JACK:  I had forgotten how scary the M-G-R must seem to children...almost as scary as the new roller coasters must seem to older adults.

FROM TARMART REV:  A midway with a "Merry-go-round" brings the "kid-out-of-me" every time!! "Hurry! Hurry! Step right up! Win a _______"====JACK:  Why not make it a goal to ride on a merry-go-round this summer?  It might keep you from becoming an old fogey.

FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  So true. And when they get to middle school, they don't want you to talk to them in front of their friends. ;o) Actually, our son didn't do that but I know many others that did.====JACK:  When our kids stop in for a visit, we still wave to them as they pull out of the driveway...and they wave back, just like we did on the merry-go-round.  When my mother was in her 90s she still referred to us as "the kids."

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  dad carved a full-sized carousel horse. will have to get a pic for you. it won first place at international woodcarvers' competition.====JACK:  Maybe he can store it in your house and, you can sit on it while you watch TV.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Ah, what memories; and I am not a good "rider" as I get motion sickness, but for the sake of my children and grandchildren, and now "greats"  I still ride and wave when called upon. Those horses look gigantic to a little kid! Nice to have mom, dad, or grandparent standing or riding next to therm!! Thanks for  the human nature thought today....====JACK:  Did you ever ride The Bobs at Riverview Park in Chicago?  First riders didn't have a chance to wave, because they were hanging on for dear life.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I hope the initials aren't H.C.====JACK:  As Ronald Reagan once said, "There you go again!"  But, NO, it isn't Hillary.  She is #6 .

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

It was good to know that as I ventured out, away from my parents "on my horse", I could make a return trip back to see that they were still there...and I could go on another round of adventure with merry thoughts and some confidence that my parents were my stability, and just around the next turn....so, I would smile and wave!