Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 6/4/14
“I’ll connect the dots my own way.”  (Bill Watterson)  I had to look it up.  Someone said that she was a SAHM.  I thought it was some kind of religion.  In this work, work world, some moms feel the need to explain why they are a SAHM.  Look again at today’s quote.  I miss Calvin and Hobbes, but the cartoonist wanted to do things his way.  He now paints landscapes and has drawn one cartoon picture…Petey Otterloop.    ;-)  Jack

FROM MY ATTORNEY:  Stay-at-Home-Mom?====JACK:  You knew that?

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I've lived my life that way.     Been quite content to have others do it their way, too.   However, some don't like it if you don't connect the dots their way....lot of those folks in the church hierarchy.====JACK:  One of the realities of  becoming an old poop is that the younger generation is more tolerant of how you connect the dots...or don't much care.  Continue being the kind of person you are known to be.====JOHN:  "Don't much care" is right on...and I like that....I struggle with those people who think there is only one appropriate way to worship, etc.====JACK:  At this time of life, I see myself standing on the balcony, observing what is going on below.  At an earlier time, I was involved in the "action", relatively oblivious to who was on the balcony. ====REV:  I always cared about was on the balcony.    We stand on the shoulders of giants.    Can always learn from them.====JACK:  "The Man on the Balcony" is described well in the book, "A Preface to Christian Theology" by John Mackay (Chapter 2).

FROM TARMART REV:  Sounds alright . . . as long as one stays within the margins, I guess!! ====JACK:  I think that you "strayed" outside of the margins when you took an A of G congregation and began worshipping in a Jewish synagogue.  I applaud you for that!====REV: "Toda raba!"====JACK:  Thank you! 

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  CONNECTING THE DOTS IS LIKE PAINTING BY NUMBERS. IT'S SOMEBODY ELSE'S CREATION.====JACK:  The man who created "paint by numbers" is from our community.  I once heard him give a speech.  I don't know where the one who invented "connect the dots" is from.  I happen to like both of those forms of art.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I had never heard SAHM, but was one until all four of my children were in school full time. (By then the oldest was in high school!) It was probably easier to do that in my generation, but I did love teaching, once I entered the work force, and of course teachers had "summer break" right along with kids!  I like the phrase, ":People hear what they see"...hopefully we can connect our dots in our own way, but still have something to "say" to those around us. You are right, at this stage in life, we are in the balcony, looking down on the action, though still participating!====JACK:  Sometimes, when we're on the balcony, we see things that need to be done.  Then we go down the steps and try to do our part in that which needs doing.  Then, we climb the stairs to the balcony and look down again.  Oops...There's something else that needs doing.  Etc.  Going down and up those stairs can be tiring as we age.

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I can be enthusiastic about the idea that the only true requirement for Happiness is choosing it. I am happy for the gift of Life; and yet while in-the-world it is full of both pain and pleasure. I have to really keep my focus to be happy while experiencing the painful parts.