Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 6/25/14
“Anyone who has gumption knows what it is, and anyone who hasn’t can never know what it is.”  (L.M. Montgomery)  How long since you’ve heard someone use the word, gumption?  In fact, have you ever heard of it?  Synonyms: courage, spunk, guts, imagination.  The Finns call it, Sisu!  Entrepreneureship is a BIG word around Detroit these days, with many millennials (with gumption) starting new businesses.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  Wasn't their a movie with that name, "Forrest Gumption"?!?!====JACK:  I wonder if Gump was intentionally used as a short form of Gumption?  There used to be a comics character named, Andy Gump.  You've probably never heard of him.  ====REV:  Haven't heard of Andy . . . I wondered the same about the movie . . . wouldn't be surprised if the word and definition of "gumption" may have played apart in the title and theme.====JACK:  Through the magic of Google, you can go back and become acquainted with Andy Gump.  You can also see a statue erected in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, to honor him.

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Yay gumption in Detroit!====JACK:  You were a Detroit cheerleader before it was the "hip" thing to do.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Another synonym might be Drive.====JACK:  It's one thing to be able to drive; it something else to "know" how to drive.

FROM HUSKER DON:  "Sisu" -- great word I learned in Finland in 1953, the year that reclassified my to be with the class of 1954.  GREAT WORD!  (Did you have a Finish background -- and learn to count to ten in Finish [takes twice as long as in English]?  Does this explain Finnish temperament or peacefulness?).  Thanks again for your words.====JACK:  No Finn in me, altho my wife traces he ancestry to the Oland Islands..  I did take a sauna once, and once was enough. 

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I think of a lot of Americans with a lot of gumption are still with us. Besides our grandchildren, I was early to the local library this morning (obviously I haven't gone there too much lately with my Nook as my excuse).  It doesn't open until 10, so there were two 10th graders there and we had a great chat about their dreams and ambitions. They go to an IB program far from the neighborhood. One wants to be a doctor, and the other an engineer.  They planned to study for ao====JACK:  I purposely have avoided Nook.  I like holding a real book in my hands.  My current favorite is "Wrigley Field, Year by Year."  BTW, What are IB and ao? 

FROM BB IN ILLINOIS:  I’m old enough to remember it and very occasionally use it but don’t recall where I heard it first.  My dad?  Something on TV like Andy Griffith?====JACK:  If you want to see gumption on TV these days, look at Mountain Men.  I can't imagine living as they live.

FROM CPA BOB:  How about “willing to take a risk”, along with the other synonyms.====BOB:  We've each had our risk-taking experiences.  For you, one was in starting your own business. 

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE I HEARD GUMPTION,  BUT I DO REMEMBER ANDY GUMP!  WE NEED GUMPTION TO DEAL WITH EVERY DAY, AT MY AGE! I'M TRYING TO WORK UP GUMPTION TO RELOCATE TO A SMALLER  SITUATION  AND NEARER TO MY ELDEST SON AND FAMILY, BUT IT'S MORE FUN TO  PLAY BRIDGE, READ, AND GOLF THAN IT IS TO CONDO-HUNT! OR MOVE...! :-(====JACK:  Eventually we will all be forced to relocate.  In anticipation of that, we have our cemetery "spot" reserved.  But even that is temporary, anticipating what God has prepared for us.

OM FACEBOOK LIZ:  happy to hear that detroit is recuperating. i read that the UN may help supply water there. gumption is a much-needed commodity in our beleagured country. too bad it went out of vogue the last few years...====JACK:  I can't imagine that Detroit has a water problem, with the Detroit River and many lakes in the area.  However, there is an argument over whether or not the water system should be a regional one.  There's also a problem with a number of people in the city not paying their water bills and, consequently, have their water shut off.  But opportunities are given to those customers to work out a payment plan.  But, back to your point...There is a need for more gumption in the lives of people in general.====LIZ:  the "gestalt of knitting." my friend's mom, a psychiatrist, could knit the most intricate fair isle patterned sweaters. one row at a time, she told us... if she tried to absorb the directions in toto, she'd never have had the gumption to attempt it.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Once again you brought back some memories.  My Uncle Cochran, 100% pure Scottish, used this term a lot.  However, the way he pronounced it wasn't "Gumption"  because he accent was so heavy it was hard to understand him.  When he walked into the room with his booming voice, he shook the house!  He married my Grandmother's sister...Aunt Amelia.  He was certainly a character by gumption!====JACK:  We all seem to have "characters" among our relatives.  My sister and I often amuse each other by coming up with Aunt Nell and Uncle John sayings.

No comments: