Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 5/21/14
“No matter how many mistakes you make, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.”  (Tony Robbins – sent by Teri G)  Somebody has created this motivational poster…“If Plan A doesn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.”  Some may laugh and call Charlie Brown a “blockhead” because he keeps trying to kick the football.  Don’t feel “stupid” because of your misses.  Real success is in the fact that you’re trying!    ;-)  Jack

FROM TARMART REV:  I'm reminded by your "Winning Words" post today of my attempt to write my own daily devotional that started back when I enjoyed my sabbatical in Michigan a couple of years ago. It was at that time I learned how to participate on Facebook. I'm somewhat amazed today that I'm still keeping up with it these many weeks since . . . but all that to say, it is not unusual to post a few paragraphs early in the morning, only to re-read them later and find grammatical errors I somehow overlooked that morning. They just glare out at me and I wonder how I missed seeing them. I'll even go back a edit the mistake, though the majority of those who follow the posting have already seen them (or at least I feel they have). When I entered Bible College as a freshman, one of my first classes was a "bonehead English refresher course" they called it. Hopefully, I'm getting better at it-- but it does keep one humble.====JACK:  "Bonehead English"....I like it.  How about "Bonehead Preaching" in seminary, or "Bonehead Surgery" in medical school...or  can you think of any others?====REV:  Dumb, I must admit . . . but not so dumb that I don't know who to call in time of need!! 0;-/

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN:  OMG Jack today this has a double meaning for me!!!  I guess today I am feeling sensitive and ill equipped.====JACK:  As my mother-in-law used to say to her piano students..."One step, and then another, and the longest journey is ended."  Take it (life, work, any problem) one step at a time.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! I LOVE THE POSTER THOUGHT! IF PLAN A DOESN'T WORK, THERE ARE 26 MORE LETTERS!! A VERY GOOD IDEA TO KEEP IN MIND...WE SHOULD HANG THAT POSTER WHERE WE CAN SEE IT WHEN WE GET DISCOURAGED OR NEED TO THINK FURTHER ON SOMETHING....!====JACK:  If Charles Schulz had lived longer, he might have created a strip where Charlie Brown actually does kick the football.  It would have made a great poster with the slogan.....

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: I like the motivational poster.====JACK:  When I printed Winning Words (then called Sentence Sermons) in the church's Sunday bulletins, they were meant to be motivational.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Mistakes are why we have erasers... then move on.====JACK:  Nowadays we have spellcheck and the "delete" key.  I can't remember when I last used an eraser.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  That makes be feel better!

FROM JB IN CHIGAGO:  I’m reading the book Risk Savvy which argues that we NEED to make mistakes in order to learn and that cultures that discourage mistakes are not going to be innovative and creative.  Thanks for your words, Jack!====JACK:  Risk Savvy sounds like an interesting book.  Think of what life would be like if we never took risks.  BTW, have you ever done a parachute jump?

No comments: