Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 4/9/14
“’Tain’t worthwhile to wear a day all out before it comes.” (Sarah Orne Jewett) In Guatemala there’s the legend of the “Worry Doll.” You tell your worries to a little doll, place it under your pillow, and the doll will worry for you. Or, how about this Bible verse… “Cast all of your cares on the Lord, for he cares about you.” “’Taint” easy to give up worrying. There’s a saying…”Let go and let God!” Good advice. ;-) Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I've found that careful planning erases a lot of worries.====JACK:  Estate planning falls into that category.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  during some tough years i never went anywhere without a worry doll in my pocket.  i had a wreath filled with them on our door.  i believe that they helped me find and focus on the positive.  our first born beth had a similar doll.  it was her mary-cathy.  when she was really mad she slammed it against the wall and called her mary.  when she was gentle and calm the doll was named cathy...a sweet and good friend of ours.  egos need to be strong in this life!
====JACK:  My wife got a Dammit Doll from our son-in-law.  Everytime something goes wrong, you slam the doll on the table, instead of saying….

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  Thanks, I needed that today !====JACK: So, you worry once in a while, too?

FROM FLYIN' CHUCK:  You do have a way Jack! Those are just the exact words I needed to hear today! Thank you.====JACK:  Winning Words and a sermon seem to work in the same way.  The words seem to come in a mysterious way.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  If often put my worries "under my pillow" in some form or another. And lay my head on them because my greatest worry is that I am not "seeing the whole picture" and am not worrying smartly. I think the Jewish ways of wearing that little box on their heads which contain the Word of God or else wearing the prayer shawl with the fringes really God gave them some useful ways that are totally appropriate to our human needs. I always wonder if Jesus wore those things as he was called a Rabbi. Anyway, God helps us to devise crutches and I personally don't feel less faithful or able when I take advantage of benefitting from using them in a healthy constructive way especially if it ultimately benefits other people around me too.====JACK:  I don't think that Jesus was an "official" rabbi.  I think that some people just saw him as a teacher, and the word, rabbi, can mean teacher.

FROM INDY GENIE:  I use worry dolls...they work! I pray too. I had forgotten until now that as a child I was fascinated by the  Roman Catholic rosary ...as a teenager I called them "worry beads".====JACK:  I have a priest friend who was also a personal friend of Pope John Paul.  He gave me a rosary (worry beads) that had been blessed by the Pope.   

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  it was quite a weekend worrying needlessly. Kind of like your WW today.====JACK:  "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile..." as the WW 1 song goes.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i designed & made these many years ago.  these kind ladies worry for me... i worry plenty!!!  i will have to make these as gifts again. i had all different countries, as i recall. swedish for you?====JACK:  1/2 Swedish and 1/2 German.====LIZ:  aaah, a fellow german... explains your feistiness!

FROM TARMART REV:  "Don't be a worry wart!" -- Doesn't that bring make a memory or two!!====JACK:  I haven't heard that phrase used in a long time.  I'll have to investigate its origin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If often put my worries "under my pillow" in some form or another. And lay my head on them because my greatest worry is that I am not "seeing the whole picture" and am not worrying smartly. I think the Jewish ways of wearing that little box on their heads which contain the Word of God or else wearing the prayer shawl with the fringes really God gave them some useful ways that are totally appropriate to our human needs. I always wonder if Jesus wore those things as he was called a Rabbi. Anyway, God helps us to devise crutches and I personally don't feel less faithful or able when I take advantage of benefitting from using them in a healthy constructive way especially if it ultimately benefits other people around me too.
S.H. in MI