Friday, April 04, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 4/4/14
“’What day is it?’ asked Pooh.  ‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.  ‘My favorite day,’ said Pooh.”  (A.A. Milne)  Do you have a favorite day?  Is it Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve or TGIF.  I like the optimistic spirit of the song from Oklahoma, “O what a beautiful mornin’…”  Each day is what we make it.  Transcendentalist Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote, “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM EEC IN MICHIGAN:  I like this one!====JACK:  I like you're quick response, too.  I just sent WWs out 5 minutes ago.

 FROM TARMART REV: "Welcome to a new day, Jack, never been lived in before!!"====JACK:  Robert Schuller used to begin his Hour of Power broadcasts by quoting Psalm 118:24..."This is the day the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it."

FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  I thought you might appreciate my closing remark that I make at the end of my radio & TV show "BRIGHT SIDE OF AGING" saying:"Yesterday is history,tomorrow is a mystery,today is a gift & that's why we call it the "present"!====JACK:  This Shaker song, Simple Gifts, seems to relate...
Its a gift to be simple, Its a gift to be free,
Its the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
Will be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend, we will not be ashamed,
To turn, turn, will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right
Till by turning, turning we come round right

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  But tomorrow provides Hope. Right Annie?====JACK:  Hope is what Yogi meant when he said, "It's never over til it's over."

 FROM TRIHARDER:  "The corn is as high as an elephants eye and it looks like it's climbing clear up to the sky."   Sang it in 8th  grade choir (Detroit)====JACK:  The chorus of that song indicates that it's a beautiful mornin', not just because of the weather, but because "everything's goin' my way."  That's my favorite day!.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Pooh quotes are always a bit more positive than Eeyore... "It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.  "So it is."  "And freezing."  "Is it?"  "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."====JACK:  The Optimist Club members have a "creed" which begins..."Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind, to talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet. etc."  Eeyore might have a problem with that. ====JON:  Eeyore is Kiwanian....;)

FROM DL IN OREGON:  Thanks Jack for the continuing inspiration of "Winning Words"!!  May favorite day? Trying to make everyday exactly that is my ambition!====JACK:  One of the Bible translations that I like is the Good News Bible.  In it, Proverbs 27:1 appears like this..."Never boast about tomorrow. You don't know what will happen between now and then."  We have our hands full, just dealing with today...and appreciating it. 

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I absolutely LOVE Winni-the-Pooh and his companions; I read all of his stories to my kids growing up, and we still laugh over "the Heffalumps". etc.Eeore always brot giggles...Of course I was very dramatic in my reading of the "voices of Pooh and friends!" Yes, each day has its "best" aspect; I have birthday cards with RWE's saying that you quoted today.. It's a good one to live by!
have a BEST day!====JACK:  The Cubs used to open their broadcast with..."It's a beautiful day for a ballgame."  It was a rainy day in Detroit today, but the Tigers played b-ball anyway.  Cabrerra hit a homerun, got hit #2000, the team scored 17 runs and now have a record of 3 and 0.  It was a beautiful day for the ballgame.


 FROM KP IN OHIO:  Every day is a good day for the game of life!

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Some days are better than the others but I especially like the ones where I wake up!








1 comment:

kp in Ohio said...

Every day is a good day for the game of life!