Monday, April 28, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 4/28/14
“Nothing is work, unless you’d rather be doing something else.”  (George Halas)  I’ve had many jobs, starting in Kindergarten with selling The Saturday Evening Post.  I still love working.  I don’t know that I would have enjoyed playing football for Coach Halas. “Dirty Jobs” is a TV show, featuring Mike Rowe doing jobs that most people would avoid.  Mike usually finds that workers enjoy what they do.  How about you?    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  At church.  I shoveled the walks,  did custodial work, helped put on roofs, etc.  whatever it took.  Got criticized by other pastors for doing it.  Thought they were missing something.====JACK:  I did the same things, except for the roofing.  As for criticism by others...I couldn't care less.  I loved my work.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  Jack, the Night Owl,  burning the 4 a.m. oil!====JACK:  I happen to love being an early riser.  It's been part of my routine ever since I was a baby.

FROM TARMART REV:  I remember more so when starting out as a youth pastor following up on directions from the senior pastor...felt often I was given assignments he really did not want to do...probably was, but later realized it gave me more experiences being in places and situations with other folk who became friends and personal acquaintances for a lifetime...even today other pastors gladly give those types of choices up forfeiting the benefits of knowing to whom they have been called to serve.====JACK:  When I first decided I wanted to enter the ministry, my home pastor gave me a list of people who had stopped attending church, and he asked me to call on them to try and discover why.  It wasn't because he didn't want to make the calls.  He wanted me to have the experience to see if I really did want to become a pastor.  Even though some of the calls were negative, for me they were positive, because I enjoyed doing that job.====REV:  I'm sure many were blessed by your visit and concern.====JACK:  The Lord only knows.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i am a worker bee.  i am my happiest when i am working.  whether cleaning my house, working in the garden, helping others with their work, or being with the children at school.  i am getting better at relaxing as i age, but still feel best when i am doing something productive.  now...off to work!====JACK:  Your song for the day...
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho
It's off to work I go
I keep on singing all day long
Heigh-ho
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho
Got to make your troubles go
Well, you keep on singing all day long
Heigh-ho
Heigh-ho, heigh-ho

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I have loved all the jobs that I have had so far in my life from working in Woolworths on Saturdays when I was 13 to nursing, midwifery,  teaching, receptionist. Not to mention the unpaid jobs.  Wife, mother and the voluntary work that I still enjoy.  I do think that when you are doing a job you should give it 100% of yourself.  I get so angry when I am shopping and the cashier is discussing with a colleague how much longer she has to work and how how she hates the job.  Not good!====JACK:  A sister-in-law of mine had a particularly rude store clerk.  She politely asked her, "Are you having a bad day, or are you always this way?"  I don't know how the clerk responded.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I absolutely love my job now (I'm retired).  As Gary gets closer to retirement (in about a year) he loves his job.  Truly though, he will be very glad to be able to pick his job now rather than having to do his high stress job now.  There's so much to do in retirement that we are looking forward to I guess you could say we are looking forward to our next "work" while enjoying the life we are living now.====JACK:  I found that I liked my after-retirement work as much as the work before.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! Bill played football under Halas, and  he did not tolerate "slackers"!  And players were paid a pittance, compared to later standards! It was the honor of making the team, and love of the game for them!  I loved teaching (In Jr.High...not most teachers' favorite!)  and directing church choirs, etc.and we enjoyed serving in the ministry, absolutely.  i suspect even when you love your work, there are many days when work is still very much WORK!! Most feel fortunate to HAVE work, in these times!====JACK:  What a thrill to be able to say, "I played for the Bears when George Halas was the coach.  Even more of a thrill to say, "I played on the Lord's team and loved the coach."

FROM CPA BOB:  I almost always have liked what I do.  I especially like it now – doing mostly tax work & working shorter hours.  I feel lucky (about a lot of things) about my work because I have felt for the longest time that public accounting has been the best occupation for me.====JACK:  When I was in high school, I enjoyed my accounting classes and was encouraged to pursue that occupation.  But, somehow, I chose another path.

TODD BLACKLEDGE:  "The six W's:  Work Will Win When Wishing Won't."

FROM FLYER C:  I enjoy my job. I don't enjoy being away from my family! A true Catch-22. ====JACK:  I know the term, Catch-22, but I had to look up the background.  I see that it's a military rule meaning--Contradictory circular logic.  I knew what it meant, but not the reason.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  To a Golfer. ANYTHING else is work.====JACK:  I like the PGA where the golfers get paid on the way they perform.  I think that it should be that way in other sports, as well.  BTW, if you were to be a pro-player, which sport would you choose?

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  I loved my work, as I know you did.  Isn't helpful when you are sure you were led by Someone to where you were meant to be?====JACK:  What would your reaction have been if, when in high school, someone were to tell you what your life's work would be?  When I said that I might become a minister, my sister laughed.  "You?"

FROM HCC CHUCK:  I enjoyed working still enjoy being asked to do a task or job.  I like to keep busy.====JACK:  From what I've seen, you take a job and do it well.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I enjoyed my teaching career in Moline and in Long Beach and my reservations job with Eastern Airlines. My first job as a caseworker for an orphanage and for a home for delinquent girls was not so enjoyable.  BYW I have just finished reading Orphan Train and was amazed to learn that 200,000 orphans were sent out to Minnesota by the Childrens Aid Society.in the late 1900s and early 20th century. We can all count our blessings for our lives.====JACK:  How did it feel to teach where you were once a student?====SHIRL:    When you asked how it was to teach in a school where I had been a student, it was good, too.  Mr Wood was still the principal, and Miss Mallette was the head of the social studies department.  There was a mandatory rule that teachers had to retire at 65, so she went out to Colona and taught until she was at least 80. Teaching was hard but also very rewarding.
 

  

1 comment:

SBP said...

No need to post. You? I echo Nancy's response. You cut quite a swath of mischieviousness. as I recall. But God had a pPLAN! And it appears to have worked very well. Thank you.