Thursday, March 06, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 3/6/14
“Everyone has his burden; what counts is how you carry it.”  (Hugh McLeod)  Heavy backpacks carried by children can lead to future back pain, according to a chiropractor that I know.  Heavy purses and billfolds carried in the back pocket can also cause spinal problems.  But the quote is really about carrying mental burdens.  My friend says that mental stress can lead to physical discomfort.  A song advises, “Take your burden to the Lord, and leave it there.”  What has worked for you?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  That was the problem for you Moliners....your wallets were too heavy! ====JACK:  Yes, the original 1 %-er's....compared to our neighbors to the east. ====JOHN:  So many of my friends were poor and many have died early.  I think there is a correlation there.====JACK:  As with the current Affordable Care Act.....Caring usually has to do with..."As long as I've got mine, that's what I "care" about.  Just don't mess with mine."  That's the attitude of many, but (thankfully) not all.  I like how Warren Buffett is encouraging 1 %-ers to give of their wealth to eleemosynary causes.

 FROM TARMART REV:  “Take your burden to the Lord, and leave it there”  sounds like good advice for me today!! Here's a chorus I grew up singing often, but must admit it has been a couple of years now since singing it last . .

(v) Days are filled with sorrow and care, Hearts are lonely and drear; BURDENS ARE LIFTED AT CALVARY, Jesus is very near.
(v) Cast your care on Jesus today, Leave your worry and fear; Burdens are lifted at Calvary, Jesus is very near.
(v) Troubled soul, the Savior can see, Ev’ry heartache and tear; Burdens are lifted at Calvary, Jesus is very near.
(Chorus) Burdens are lifted at Calvary, Calvary, Calvary; Burdens are lifted at Calvary, Jesus is very near.
May your day be burdened free, Jack!!====JACK:  I'm reminded of the saying..."A certain amount of fleas is good for any dog."

 FROM MK IN MICHIGAN:  My friend Rachel says that all those burdens are just the Lord preparing us for the battle that we should embrace them!  I find that no matter my burdens I can look to the left or the right and find someone with burdens 1000 times mine in that I find peace in my own and empathy for them!   I feel sorry for people who can’t see their blessings…….   Take care! Mk  PS Are you cold enough yet? ====JACK:  There's a story of someone who stands before a pile of burdens and is allowed to choose one.  The person eventually chooses his/her own.  PS--I'd like to save up some of this "cool" for use this summer when it is too "hot."====MK:  I like that!   It’ s said he only gives us what we can handle right? ====JACK:  "Saint" Mother Teresa said, “I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.” 

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  The best 1 word that's been helpful for me in dealing with life's challenges is "RECALCULATING"====JACK:  Or...On to Plan B.  Your answer is the new-fashioned one.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  My wife & I are enrolled in Stephen Ministries at our church to become volunteer counselors. It's a 50 hour training before we are assigned to a care receiver.====JACK:  That program is a good one for all parties involved.  Training is essential, but having a caring heart is important, too.  As you probably know, the Stephen program has its genesis in the 6th chapter of Acts.

 FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I just thought, why is it we always feel better after going to church on Sunday. ====JACK:  One of the things that made me feel good after church on Sunday was positive feedback from people like you.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, scripture works for me--when it seems like someone has such a better situation than I, I remember that scripture says not to be jealous or covet, it is a blessing in that it tells me what I need to fight against in my own sinful nature, when I have an enemy, it reminds me that The Lord is my shepherd, He prepares a banquet for me in front of my enemies, and actually time and time again, the truthfulness of that teaching has played out in my life, miracles happen!!!!!! I lean on scripture and the people who come along to help me understand it.====JACK:  The 23rd Psalm has been a comfort to countless people in many burdensome situations.  God is good!

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  Jack, a very old dear friend died last Saturday – I have known him for almost 60 years – he was a member of Holy Cross, and I baptized his two daughters.  His first wife died when his girls were 7 and 5.  I walked with Miles through many circumstances – after I left Menomonee Falls he invited me back to marry him and his second wife.   Anyway we walked through many experiences.   His autobiography was entitled by him, “A Life Well Lived.    I have been asked to speak at his funeral on Saturday – and I’ll mention his book – and also your WW today, “Everyone has his burden – what counts is how you carry it.”====JACK:  One of the spirituals says, "I'm gonna lay my burdens down, down by the riverside."  That's what happens when we cross over into the Promised Land.  No more trials, Lord.

 FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I once had a stiff neck from carrying a heavy purse.  I have made it much lighter---and I don't carry it that way as much anymore.====JACK:  Once, while waiting for Mary to do shopping in the Mall, I sat and counted the number of women who carried purses over the shoulders compared to those who carried them under their arm or by a strap.  Over the shoulder won.  I noted, too, that it was a generation thing.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Henry Ford once said, "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."  So maybe bearing a few burdens eventually helps us to soar?  Bill used to say (tongue-in-cheek) when things got rough, his favorite scripture was, "AND IT CAME TO PASS..." Good to remember, on what would have been his 87th birthday today! What a guy!!====JACK:  And it came to pass....I like that one.  Joan Baez sang..."All my trials, Lord, soon will be over."
Hush little baby, don't you cry  You know your mama was born to die All my trials, Lord, soon be over
The river of Jordan is muddy and cold  Well it chills the body but not the soul  All my trials, Lord, soon be over
I've got a little book with pages three  And every page spells liberty  All my trials, Lord, soon be over
Too late, my brothers  Too late, but never mind  All my trials, Lord, soon be over
If living were a thing that money could buy  Then the rich would live and the poor would die  All my trials, Lord, soon be over
There grows a tree in Paradise  And the pilgrims call it the Tree of Life  All my trials, Lord, soon be over
Too late, my brothers  Too late, but never mind  All my trials, Lord, soon be over  All my trials, Lord, soon be over
====OAKS:  It was kind of sad...living was so hard that dying was a  blessing to look forward to, but it was true in many a slave's life, and the poverty-stricken miserable ones, tho I doubt that they  really did look forward to death..====JACK:  I've heard suffering people say. "I wish I could die," or "I want God to take me.".

FROM MW IN ILLINOIS:  For me,with the possibility of looking at a second knee replacement , (Dr. says I'm not quite ready yet), the verse in the hymn, "What a friend we have in Jesus", comes to my mind many times. "Take it to the Lord in Prayer" ====JACK:  It hasn't been that long ago when "replacement parts" weren't possible and people with bad knees or bad hips wound up in wheel chairs or on crutches.  God still works miracles.  Google the background of "What a Friend."  It's a great story.

 FROM MOLINER JT:  Another song "Take it to the Lord in Prayer" One of my favorites.====JACK:  That song also has the line..."Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care.  We should never be discouraged.  Take it to the Lord in prayer."

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  Well, this is my simplified version of what works for me.  "Take it to the Lord in Prayer".I play a Tennessee Ernie Ford disc on my Bose (along with the classics)and he and his sing the old time hymns, which I love.(I guess I remember my mother singing them,) The simplicity of the "oldies" seem to cut to the basics. They keep ringing and ringing in my mind. "Take it to the Lord in Prayer"... an interesting and heart rending story behind its composition.....as with "It is Well with My Soul"====JACK:  .The word, friend, has a variety of meanings...acquaintance, helper, Facebook reader, companion, comrade, chum and crony.  The one I like best..."One who knows you and still like you."  What a friend we have in Jesus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, scripture works for me--when it seems like someone has such a better situation than I, I remember that scripture says not to be jealous or covet, it is a blessing in that it tells me what I need to fight against in my own sinful nature, when I have an enemy, it reminds me that The Lord is my shepherd, He prepares a banquet for me in front of my enemies, and actually time and time again, the truthfulness of that teaching has played out in my life, miracles happen!!!!!! I lean on scripture and the people who come along to help me understand it.

SBP said...

Well, this is my simplified version of what works for me. I "Take it to the Lord in Prayer".I play a Tennesee Ernie Ford disc on my Bose (along with the classics)and he and his sing the old time hymns, which I love.(I guess I remember my mother singing them,) The simplicity of the "oldies" seem to cut to the basics. They keep ringing and ringing in my mind. "Take it to the Lord in Prayer"... an interesting and heart rending story behind its composition.....as with "It is Well with My Soul".

SBP said...

An "s" escaped in "Tennessee."