Monday, March 31, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 3/31/14
“You think something wonderful is going to happen.”  (Joe DiMaggio)  A pastor had a daily radio program which began with the words, “Up and away!  This is God’s day!”    His messages tried to get people to see that they are in partnership with God and, because of this, good things will happen.  “Joltin’ Joe” wasn’t a preacher, but his quote is an  Opening Day inspiration to baseball fans looking for a season of good things .    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TS IN INDIANA: As I recall, this is a memorable day for you - opening day for the Tigers.   Sounds as if will be a good one weather wise.   Do you practice with the tailgating at home?====JACK:  I already have a bag of peanuts.  I may go to the local coney and get a hotdog (or 2) just before the game starts at 1.

FROM TARMART REV:  Oral Roberts used to always begin his weekly telecast with the song, “Something good is going to happen to you, happen to you this very day, something good is going to happen to you, Jesus of Nazareth is passing your way!” – My favorite: “It’s a brand new day, never lived in before and we have the privilege of making the best of it!!”====JACK:  You have to be careful when singing "Something good is going to happen," because life has a way of changing the lyric from good to bad.  Poor Oral found that out.  But, eventually, God has a way of turning the bad into good for those who are faithful.

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  happy opening day!====JACK:  Since you always like a song for the day, how about, "Take me out to the ballgame..." or, "O say, can you see...?"====MARY:  oh, it's take me out to the ball game.  the little boy thom irvin's version.
take me out to the ball game.
take me out to the crowd.
buy me some peanuts and crack-the-jack.
i don't care if i ever get back.
for it's root, root, root for the cubbies...if they don't win it's a shave!
for it's one, two, three tractors out at the old ball game...whatagame!
ahhhhh...the memory of his little voice:)====JACK:  I love it!

 FROM PH IN THE TWIN CITIES:  the MN Twins need lots of hope!!====JACK:  Didn't Joe Nathan of the Tigers and Big Papi of the Red Sox used to play for the Twins?

 FROM FLYIN' CHUCK:  Here's to a great season all around! My Cubbies open against the Pirates today! Go Cubs.====JACK:  I just heard that the Cubs lost 1 to 0 in the bottom of the 10th.  Heartbreak start.

 FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  Love it. ;o) Happy sunny day! Go Tigers!====JACK:  When I was a kid and a Cubs' fan, the radio broadcast would begin with this song....(You can Google it)
Let’s go!  Batter up!
We’re tak-ing the af-ter-noon off!
It’s a beau-ti-ful day for a ball game, for a ball game to-day
The fans are out to get a ticket or two
From Wal-la, Wash-ing-ton to Kal-a-ma-zoo
It’s a beau-ti-ful day for a home run,
But e-ven a tri-ple’s o-kay!
We’re gon-na cheer and boo and raise a hul-la-ba-loo
At the ball game to-day

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Good Luck to your Tigers! My Cubs are playing the Pirates; no score after 3 innings. Hope springs eternal in the human breast, so looking forward to a winning season, HAA!  ====JACK:  The Tigers did have luck, but not so with the Cubs, losing in 10.  The season is young.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Enjoy each day. The Rays have a sold out game for their opening today.  They play the Bluejays who have their spring training in Dunedin.====JACK:  The Tigers also had a sellout... over 45,000.  They faced the former Rays' pitcher, Jimmy Shields.  He is really good, but the relievers let him down.

 FROM LP IN PLYMOUTH:  What is the context for the quote? I feel like either he was explaining the enthusiasm for the day, or there is a "but" about to negate it ====JACK:  I think that Joe D spoke these words with regard to the start of the baseball season.  I wonder if they are appropriate upon the death of a faithful person entering "heaven"?  I remember the Hallelujah Chorus being sung at the close of a funeral service.

 FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  We forgot to use our lucky giant turkey wishbone!  : (  But yay Tigers!! ====JACK:  Isn't it something how we can transition from one sport to another.  "A spoonful of sugar (a Tigers win) helps the medicine (Sunday's NCAA loss) go down."

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  In case the Tigers don't make it happen, here's Something Wonderful for you:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_Gdqkt13A====JACK:  Well, the Tigers won...but I still listened to Doris Day sing "Something Wonderful."  I didn't know that you were a fan of hers.====RI:  I really don't have any singers that are heavy favorites.  I used the rendition by Doris for her clear-as-a-bell voice and ennunciation of the lyrics.  You don't find that anymore in today's music.  I'm glad the Tigers gave you a win.  I heard on the tail end of a sports report that the Sox lost their opener...ho hum!

 FROM ED IN CALIFORNIA:  After the past very stressful months... yesterday, the day you sent out this 'joltin' joe' email Roman got a faculty job offer!  Coincidence? I think not. Good 'ole uncle Joe.====JACK:  As I've often said, "It'll work out."  A friend just told me today how that phrase has come true in his life situation.  I say it, based on years of experience. 

No comments: