Friday, March 28, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 3/28/14
“Good times, ‘Just ‘round the corner!’ so they say.”  (W.C. Handy)  Handy, The Father of the Blues, died on this date, in 1958.  Over 25,000 attended his funeral, with another 150,000 in the streets of Harlem.  I’d guess that his most famous song, St. Louis Blues was played at the service.  W.C.’s quote is an optimistic one, not consistent with  feeling “the blues.”  But that’s life.  Bad times?  Good times are  a-comin’.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  Wonderful quote!!!! I've been surprised so many times, so far, with the good times that came after the bad times. The blues help me to be in the bad times and not feel so lonely and then that makes even the bad times, hoping, praying and waiting for the good times to come again, more bearable than they would be without the blues. The blues musicians sure know how to hold a person's hand, ears and comfort the heart. ====JACK:  I wonder if W.C. Handy would like "I Wanna Holy Your Hand" by thr Beatles?

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  Sounds like he was a person who was open to the whole spectrum...both good and bad.====JACK:  Maybe it's best that optimism be tempered with a bit of pessimism, or should I say, reality?  But, on the whole, I think that positive thinking is better than negativity.====JOHN:   I agree with you there but I always think it is important to say "Oh shit" when Genghis Khan appears in front of the city gates.====JACK:  Eventually time passed and GK made his appearance before "The Judge."  Time has a way of evening things out.  I read that Genghis supposedly died from falling off of a horse

 FROM TARMART REV:  "Just around the corner!" . . . "The best is yet to come!" I like those and use them a lot . . . An old one I have not used of late, "Any better, I'd be in heaven - Any worse, well!!" ====JACK:  When my wife and I were married we got a bread board  with "The best is yet to be" painted on it.====REV:  I'm sure it proved true...nothing like fresh hot bread.====JACK:  Mary's grandmother used to make bread daily for her large family.  Our breadboard has only been used for kitchen decoration.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  To all things there is a season....and this too shall pass....applies to "all things", both what we dislike and what we prefer.====JACK:  Only eternal life is eternal.  I wonder is those people who get bored with the "same old, same old" would be uncomfortable in heaven?  Or maybe there is "change" in heaven, and we just don't know it.====RAY:  It is a mystery for sure...we'll find out when we get there. But, if "eternal" is the absence of Time, how could there be change? Because change is a temporal consideration...and of our temporal brain. Maybe it is our mind alone, free from the bain's influence, that finds such clarity? It will quite an enlightening experience for sure!====JACK:  Since we've only know time, timelessness is a mystery.  There used to be a radio program called, "I Love A Mystery."  I liked that program.

 FROM EEC IN MICHIGAN:  1.I'll have to see if I can find his voice on youtube. 2. I was talking to John yesterday, and he was telling me how he'd stayed up all night studying.  He said he knew he been up a long time when your WW came through to him.====JACK:  That's funny about John.  There are other "stay up laters" who have the same experience.====EEC:  I looked up W.C. Handy on YouTube and listened to a couple of songs. (Not my type of music.)  I like Sousa better!====JACK:  Didn't you like St. Louis Blues?  The St. Louis NHL hockey team was named after that song.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It sure helps to have a positive attitude, especially as we "enjoy" the golden years!  We've lived long enough to know neither good or bad times last forever; Handy's quote is a good one to remember, as is the decorated dish hanging in my kitchen, "Old age is not for sissies!" Ha! The golf course is looking good....!Happy Spring!====JACK:  Life is sometimes like playing golf.  Sometimes a shot where you say, "Ahhhh."  Sometimes in the rough or in a trap.  Most of the time...par.  Often a bogie (or more) and an occasional birdie.  Have you had an eagle or a hole in one?

 FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Not a very surprising selection from a Bix Beiderbecke fan.  I just read his full history on Wikipedia, learned some things about him I didn’t know.  Thanks for the quote.====JACK: Those who don't know about Bix should YouTube him.  Great music.  If you're into whistling, YouTube Elmo Tanner and "Heartaches."

 FROM MH IN ILLINOIS:  I do enjoy your winning words.  Sometimes that's the only reason I turn on the computer in the AM.  Thanks for sharing.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quote!!!! I've been surprised so many times, so far, with the good times that came after the bad times. The blues help me to be in the bad times and not feel so lonely and then that makes even the bad times, hoping, praying and waiting for the good times to come again, more bearable than they would be without the blues. The blues musicians sure know how to hold a person's hand, ears and comfort the heart.

Ray Gage said...

To all things there is a season....and this too shall pass....applies to "all things", both what we dislike and what we prefer.

Ray Gage said...

It is a mystery for sure...we'll find out when we get there. But, if "eternal" is the absence of Time, how could there be change? Because change is a temporal consideration...and of our temporal brain. Maybe it is our mind alone, free from the bain's influence, that finds such clarity? It will quite an enlightening experience for sure!