Friday, March 14, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 3/14/14
“The environment is everything that isn’t me.”  (Albert Einstein)  Einstein had a way with words, as well as a way with math.  Think of the things that daily affect the way we live—everything!  The people we meet, our food and water, the air we breathe and things happening in other parts of the world.  I’m glad for a couple of WWs readers who are involved with epidemiology, checking out the things that affect our health.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM SF IN MICHIGAN:  I start every morning checking my email and WWs before I get up for the day! I usually read the quote and think about it a moment before I continue to read your message. Today I read the quote and started thinking about some health studies we learned about this week in class! ;)  And today is Pi day! For the math constant, 3.14! I hear there may be pie at our group meeting today to celebrate haha! Pie probably isn't a health food, but I think it's certainly good to put some smiles on faces after an exam this morning!====JACK:  I suppose 3.14 is π-day, because it's Albert's birthday.  I had fun picking out an Einstein quote, because there are so many good ones.  I remember when pizza was called pizza-pie.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  When I read or hear reference to "environment" it causes me to think of global conditions, and that puts me in mind of the universe, making me realize that each of us is but a microbe in the universal scheme of things.  We humans are driven by so much banality.  Why can't we all just slow down and smell the roses, because we are heading rapidly into pushing up daisies.====JACK:    From the musical, Oklahoma, there's this song...
Poor Jud is dead…
The daisies in the dell
Will give out a different smell
Because poor Jud is underneath the ground.
Other interesting euphemisms for dying are...give up the ghost, buy the farm, kick the bucket, bite the dust.  The one that I hear more frequently....he/she passed.  I like that one.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I like this WW, Jack.  It reminds me of the marketing strategies, “If there is no cost for a product or service, YOU, are the product or service.”====JACK:  So, there really is no free lunch?  I can't remember....Did I buy, or did you, when we met at Starbucks?

 FROM  TARMART REV:  The question I face time so very often when putting out the weekly trash for collection . . . how can this earth of ours handle and house all of man's collective trash day after day and week after week . . . so much and so often . . . unbelievable!!====JACK:  Don't they use recycling bins up north in the boonies?  When I was growing up, raw garbage (food waste) was collected (no paper, glass, cans, etc) and taken to the pig farms and fed to the hogs.  We called the truck, "the salad truck."
====REV:  Rycycling is in order here everyy other week as well . . . but just the throw-away paper products each day from our homes, fast food places, stores, etc baffle my mind. 0;-/====JACK:  No feeding the hogs?

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I think Al was wrong on that one. His environment was effected by him which in turn effected him.====JACK:  FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  I think Al was wrong on that one. His environment was effected by him which in turn effected him.

No comments: