Monday, February 03, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 2/3/14
“My biggest thing in life is like being a link in a chain.”  (Pete Seeger)  Folk singer Seeger died a few days ago.  Wow…the songs that I remember!  “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” is one.  Have you ever made a flower chain?  The invention of chains dates to 225 BC.  The largest chain has links weighing 500 pounds, each…but, it’s only as strong as its weakest link.  We’re each a link in some way.  Be strong today!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  So true. Seeger's life and music certainly had an impact on my life. ====JACK:  It's amazing, to look back and see how "message" songs of his  became popular.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  A fellow student years ago at the university was Howard Link.  He was an Army vet who chose to go to college after returning from military service.  I was impressed by how thoughtful he was of others, had a positive attitude, and offered to help if he could.  Somehow we never remained in touch after we graduated, but my guess is wherever life took him, he was among the strongest links in the human chain.====JACK:  One of our Winning Words participants is a scientist who has participated in "digs" in Ethiopia, searching for humanity's missing link.  Maybe she could help find Howard..

 FROM TARMART REV:  For the man hanging over a very large crevice by a chain, I'd say ever chain link would be mighty important to him . . .  I certainly appreciate and hopefully have admired the many over the years that have held onto and invested into my life as I stand (or maybe hang) today.====JACK:  "Blest be the tie (chain) that binds our hearts in Christian love."

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like.====JACK:  The quote, Pete's songs, or the commentary?  I like Pete's songs best.====LIZ:  the "you're a link" part.  "where have all the flowers gone?" is a beautiful song. ====JACK:  Do you ever sign up to be part of Linkedin?  I suppose it's the modern networking.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  "No links, no chain; no pull, no progress. I find pulling people with the power of your ideas more fulfilling than pushing them to do something, even if it is in their best interest."  Of course a statement like that sets you up as arbitrator of what is "good" for folks, hence the entire academic, political, and practical fields of Social Justice, Leadership, and assorted "Do-goodery."====JACK:  Chains can be put to good use, or bad.  Chains were once used to tether the slaves.  Have you ever heard the song, "Please release me, let me go"?  BTW, I like the word, "Do-goodery."

 FROM PH IN MESA:  could you or I be the missing link?====JACK:  You're the one who's "out-of-town."  No snow-bird living for me.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  He wrote some great songs that united people, too.  I can remember singing some of the as we were bicycling through France in Burgundy and the Loire Valley.====JACK:  Did you sing them in French?

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Oh Yes...We Shall Overcome, Rainbow Race, If I Had A Hammer: He was an icon of Message songs. I'd say he made a great contribution in his genre.  I don't know why, maybe it's all this snow (more coming in tomorrow!) but  the quote of poet Stanislaw Lec comes to mind: "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."  Maybe if we're the weak link, we don't feel  responsible, depending on all the strong links to do the job??  Oh well, enough philosophizing. Good WW!====JACK:  And there are still some who consider him to be a Communist.  He was, but with a small "c".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true. Seeger's life and music certainly had an impact on my life.
S.H. in MI