Friday, February 21, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 2/21/14
“Everybody is a genius; but, if you judge a fish by his ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.”  (Einstein)  Randy Best, a college grad, can’t read or use a computer, yet now heads a company which helps colleges develop on-line virtual classrooms.  It’s especially helpful for those who can’t afford the on-campus experience.  “Normally,” he shouldn’t be a success.  What is success…really?    ;-)  Jack

 EEC IN MICHIGAN: Interesting!====JACK:  It's also interesting that Einstein was a slow learner as a child..."Einstein was slow in learning how to speak. He also had a cheeky rebelliousness toward authority, which led one headmaster to expel him and another to say that he would never amount to much. But these traits helped make him a genius. His cocky contempt for authority led him to question conventional wisdom. His slow verbal development made him curious about ordinary things — such as space and time — that most adults take for granted. His father gave him a compass at age five, and he puzzled over the nature of a magnetic field for the rest of his life. And he tended to think in pictures rather than words."

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Each of us has a part to play.  I've known some persons who I didn't give much credit until I saw them confront a task that had me stymied, and they succeeded with it.  There are people who criticize others for not achieving success, when those criticized actually like their lives...as the common expression says, "comfortable in their own skin."====JACK:  It would be fun to look over God's shoulder as He writes comments about certain people who have been written off by the world's "experts."  I don't want to look while he's writing about me, though.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Perhaps the hardest part (maybe even for geniuses) is finding where to apply your unique talents to make a difference in the world. I watched several of the videos at randybest.com, very inspiring. You are correct Jack, Randy Best is moving forward the way education is delivered.  While online learning is not for everyone with new technology it is possible to create a bonding of teacher and learner and still have the learner to learner dynamic that is so critical in cohort learning.  With SFL I will be promoting four themes, Financial Literacy, Attitude Management, Communication, and PDP (a written 10 year Personal Development Plan).   I have found, If a person is cognizant of these four areas it helps them see how today's actions can radically change their future results.  Of course it is easy for us old folks looking in the review mirror, the hard part is helping younger folks see the vision looking forward. Success to me is being able to answer satisfactorily, Did I Live?, Did I Love?, Did I Matter?  Success is when you know you have mattered in your life and others.  It was Eric Hoffer, in True Believer, who said," In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists."   What are you a genius at Jack?====JACK:  I wouldn't say that I'm a genius, but in seminary I was taught to take the Bible and try to connect it up with life.  I think I paid attention when that lesson was taught.  In this life, it's important to see the big picture in situations and in people.  I try to compose my Winning Words with that in mind.====JON:  I think you do an admirable job with Winning Words, it's pretty evident that you have done a lot of good, for a great many folks, over a long period of time, the type of ministry you have with WW's just does not appear from an empty quiver.  We very much appreciate your efforts, in my case I appreciate that you make me think.====JACK:  I occasionally get a message, "Please remove me from your mailing list."====JON:  So does the Pope…  Not everyone appreciated Gandhi either

 FROM DAIRYLAND DONNA:  LOVE this quote! What success is not, is the ability to score high on standardized tests like politicians seem to think. So so hard these days for kids who do not do well on tests. Didn't used to be this way. The ability to help kids feel successful has been taken away from teachers. Sad. ;o(====JACK:  Today's quote is based on  a cartoon which relates to your comment about standardized tests.  The cartoon shows a monkey, a penguin, an elephant, a fish, a seal and a dog.  The teacher is saying to them, "To be fair, everybody has the same exam.  Please climb that tree."----DONNA:  All I can say is "Wow!" ;o)

 FROM TARMART REV:   . . . being the best steward of that which God has awarded us with and use to build upon for betterment?====JACK:  So...God has appointed you to meet Jesus, who just happens to be disguised as a Target shopper (who likes popcorn)?====REV:  I sure would share my bag with him (or her)!!

 FROM TRIHARDER:  Perfect!====JACK:  If this is "truly" an Einstein quote, it proves that he is more than a mathematician.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  10% inspiration, 90% perspiration. (Einstein)====JACK:  He also said: "Before God, we are all equally wise and equally foolish."

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I HAVE THE CARTOON DEPICTING THIS SAYING, (WHICH I LOVE!!) WITH A NUMBER OF ANIMALS ONLY ONE OF WHICH COULD POSSIBLE CLIMB A TREE (MONKEY) WHICH REALLY BRINGS THE POINT HOME.  AS EINSTEIN  REPEATEDLY EMPHASIZED - EDUCATION SHOULD BE TO "TEACH PEOPLE TO THINK"!  NOT EMPHASIS ON ROTE LEARNING, ETC. HIS RECENT BIOGRAPHY WAS FASCINATING, AND GAVE EXCELLENT INSIGHTS INTO HIS COMPLEX LIFE! AND THE WAY HE THOUGHT AND DEALT WITH SITUATIONS.HIS PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS OFTEN SUFFERED!
APPRECIATE "GOOD DEBT JOHN'S" COMMENTS  TODAY!====JACK:  A good teacher knows how to evaluate students, using more than a standardized test.

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC: Emerson has a poem on Success that finishes with "To know one other human being lives better because you have lived that is SUCCESS!"  That's why I'm proud to be a member of the Optimist Club.



















1 comment:

SBP said...

In its recent issue, Mental Floss has listed 16 people who tried and tried again....including Bill Gates, Rudyard Kipling, and Oprah Winfrey......A lot of surprises and I am sure there are more.
And I Googled Chuck Palahnuick Quotes (at several websites) and, in them, for me, there's depth and poignancy and some that leave me feeling unsettled. I'll check back on these periodically....but I don't think I will read any of his books.
"We are who we were." Anonymous?
Thank you, once again, for thought provoking WWs and for sharing the responses. Good conversation even though its not face to face.