Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/7/14
“A pound of pluck is worth a ton of luck.”  (James A. Garfield)  There was a Garfield School in the city where I grew up.  I only knew that Garfield was a U S President.  But, now, this quote interests me.  “Pluck” means, continuing to do something, in spite of difficulty.  Our 20th Pres also said: “I’ve had many troubles, but the worst of them never came.”  Somebody had a good idea when they named that school, Garfield.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I remember driving home from the Heart of America Debate Tourney in Kansas...horrible snowstorm....had to get out and put chains on my tires...not easy to do in a snowstorm ...wearing a suit...put pjs on over my unit ....made it back to Augie.    Prof Holcomb was confident all the way...I was not as confident....more like terrified====JACK:  A good example of Pluck!

 FROM TARMART REV:  We have one in Willmar, MN too . . . it was closed when the town consolidated two of the old grade schools into a new facility . . . the Garfield building now is at the present "a pound of pluck" as it is used strictly for specialized educational activities.====JACK:  A church building is a building.  What's important is what is going on inside.  The same can be said of the Garfield building..

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I remember coming back from Texas, my daughter was driving, just after Katrina hit--we hadn't realized there would be a big swath of rain all up and down the country. It was pouring down, for miles and miles so that all we could follow were the taillights in front of us. Brenda driving, me sitting white-knuckled beside her, both of us praying. Glad to get through that time!!!!! ====JACK:  I had a similar experience in a snowstorm.  We had to follow the taillights of a semi.  When he pulled off at at exit, prayer took over.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Regarding Garfield's troubles, the "worst of them" did come, when he was assassinated after just a few months into his presidency.  I remember when I was in elementary school, and beginning to study American history, I was dumbfounded to find that anyone would kill a President.  But we live and learn.  It's clear that radicals have pluck too.====JACK:  After reading more about Garfield, it's clear that his legacy was more than his 200-day presidency.  How would you or I like to be remembered only for 200 days out of our lifetime?====RI:  Garfield did have a record of accomplishments in the House of Representatives prior to his election to the Presidency.  He showed plenty of personal pluck, from his humble life on the farm to statesman.  He has been the only sitting Representative that ever got elected President.

 FROM DAZ IN COLORADO:  Garfield was a Civil War General and on Gen Rosecrans staff at the battle of Chickamauga in Sept 1863. Rosecrans was fired after the battle which the Union lost..====JACK:  Another chapter in "the rest of the (Garfield) story."  We each have our "untold" stories that people haven't heard.

 FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  Happy 2014. I really like today's quote as it reminds me to spend time being proactive, not worrying. I like Garfield's second quote also.====JACK:  In fact, there's a whole slew (when have you used that word?) of good Garfield quotes.  I think that we could do a better job of naming schools these days...using the name as a teaching tool.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I used to remember the word "pluck or plucky" by thinking of the "p" as representing "problems" that you work through to get to the remainder "luck."  p-lucky, if you work through your problems you'll create luck. Others say luck is when "preparation meets opportunity."  So the p in plucky could be for preparation, or even perseverance. I suppose you could be plucky in love too.  It's a bit of an archaic word, but , I like it.====JACK:  Lake Superior State Univ annually makes a list of words that should be dropped from usage (like, selfie).  Someone should make a list of words that are worth rediscovering from the past...like the word, pluck.====JON:  Great idea; I tried BringItBack.com and there is a site for that. I'll see if I now anyone that has experience with Wiki's the idea would be best policed and produced by users and those that love language and learning.  Time to maintain a site would be the problem. I love the idea but it is time intensive.====JON:  I had an Oak on my land once, that the tree guy said was 350 years old. I have 40 to 43 years left probably (I presume I will live to be 100).  I need to figure out the best way I can leave a positive legacy using fast growing bambo and pine....   In my youth often I was too busy cutting trees without planting their replacements....

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  I live near Garfield!====JACK:  I take it that you mean, the school.  President Garfield is now in a cemetery in Cleveland, Ohio.

 FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA:  It looks like Garfield School is still in operation…..but maybe not for long.  The Moline School Board has voted to close it.  Garfield, situated in a residential area bordering a small business district, opened its doors in 1901 and presently serves 330 students. Garfield Elementary School has long established itself as a viable force in striving for excellence in education.====JACK:  Five of the schools I attended in Moline are no longer in existence, but they still exist in my memory bank.

 FROM PH IN MESA:  was he any relation to Garfield, the cat?====JACK:  The cat has nine lives.  James Garfield had only one...cut short by an assassin's bullet.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  These quotes hit the mark.  I especially like the last one.  Garfield must have had a lot of troubles just being President.  I wonder if the cartoon Garfield was created to emulate the president.  Garfield the cat definitely had plunk.  It was Andy's favorite cartoon character.====JACK:  The cartoon cat was named after the cartoonist's grandfather.

 FROM MOLINER JT:  Garfield is closing in 2 years. Rebuilding Hamilton into a modern day grade school. Never went to Garfield but I'll miss it.====JACK:  Garfield was modern in its heyday.  BTW, what's a heyday?

 FROM YOOPER BOB:  In 1932 the Finnish Bethlehem Church burnt.   Rather than rebuild they purchased the GARFIELD school and playground.  They remodeled it which following the mergers became Faith Lutheran.   The playground area is why Faith is the only congregation in Calumet with a parking lot! ====JACK:  I suppose that most of the year it's used as a hockey rink.

 FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  And I grew up playing in Garfield Park on the west side of Chicago. Sure wish kids today were given a better sense of history.====JACK:  Every generation's sense of history is different than the previous one's.  I confess that I didn't know much about Garfield until I researched his quote.  The kids of today have history at their "fingertips," instead reading it in books, like I did...for better or worse.. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember coming back from Texas, my daughter was driving, just after Katrina hit--we hadn't realized there would be a big swath of rain all up and down the country. It was pouring down, for miles and miles so that all we could follow were the taillights in front of us. Brenda driving, me sitting white-knuckled beside her, both of us praying. Glad to get through that time!!!!!