Friday, January 24, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/24/14
“Joy, temperance and repose slam the door on the doctor’s nose.”  (Longfellow)  Where did you first hear this quote, “All things in moderation!”?  Aristotle?  Franklin?  Twain?  Your Mom?  I remember it as advice from my doctor.  Many of society’s ills are related to over-indulgence, be it food, drink, spending.  Here’s some cutting back advice:  List what you really want in life; eat healthy meals; and--take a bubble bath.    ;-)  Jack 

FROM TARMART REV:  ...but don't put bubble bath in a Jacuzzi bathtub . . . the bubbles just keep coming . . . .been there and down that!!====JACK:  Some of society's ills might be attributed to spending too much time taking bubble baths.

 FROM JAN IN MICHIGAN: My college roommate used to say, “Everything in moderation, including moderation” (meaning, go a little crazy sometimes).  She was the daughter of an Episcopal minister, but I don’t know that she got that saying from him.  ;-)  I think that was just college-kid advice.  Of course, now that I have a senior in high school, I’m not quite as fond of that type of college-kid advice.====JACK:  When my mother was in her 90s she said, "Now that I'm old I can enjoy eating whatever I please.  Please pass the bacon!"  One of the things parents can share with their children is a sense of humor.  I think that the "moderation of moderation" is a good story to share with your college kid. ====JF:  My husband and I are really hoping that Ben chooses Hope College.  They start the school year with a “Root-Beer Kegger”. ====JACK:  They probably have mandatory chapel, too.  I remember having it at Augustana, and we heard some pretty good messages, too.  But, there's something about "mandatory" that strikes a sour note in our world today.

 FROM PW IN MICHIGAN:  I can only think of one exception to this maxim, Jack - "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as serving the Lord and not men, for it is from the Lord that you receive your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." (Colossians 3:23-24) No moderation in seeking to serve the Lord in all things!====JACK:  Thanks for reminding me that there always seems to be an exception to the rule.  Now, go and take your bubble bath!

 FROM NO IN MICHIGAN:  This one is a keeper!  I love so many, but this one really touches my life.  Thank you.====JACK:  In seminary, we were taught, "In sermons, connect the Bible text with the daily life of the people."  I guess it works for Winning Words, too.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  It all seems to come down to PRIDE. Unfortunately I'm guilty of that. ====JACK:  Losses have a way of deflating pride.  That's why I was pleased to see Alabama and Ohio State lose a couple of football games.  God has a way keeping us humble, too.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Ah, moderation the Nirvana of the boring. Moderately successful, moderately at peace, moderately overweight, moderately knowledgeable, politically moderate, can make you moderately interesting to talk to.  All these calls for moderation seem extreme to me. What great thing was ever accomplished by moderate men or women? For food, though you may be spot on…  However I did not lose 57 pounds "moderating" it requires an energy/calorie deficit for a seemingly extreme period of time (660 days for me).   Have a great day Pastor. Love Longfellow, have some of his very old books. ====JACK:  Perhaps I was wrong is using "moderation" in place of Longfellow's "temperance."  Perhaps it was Prohibition that caused temperance to lose its "style."

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Use it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do,  Or do without.====JACK:  That sounds like a saying from the days of The Great Depression.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I laughed when I saw your advice.  If I could get into and out of a bathtub I would.  This is a saying I heard a lot from all of the doctors I have been to and probably my parents also.  Did I heed it?  Sometimes!====JACK:  You might skip the advice of others, but pay attention to this warning...."Never play leap-frog with a unicorn."

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  my mom stressed everything in moderation. good advice that still allows for fun. ====JACK:  Good moms usually give good advice.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Loved these WW; however Outhouse  Judy has a point...for us elderly, it is much easier to step into a hot shower! :-) I think moderation is an excellent word in most cases; in the case of having a rip-roaring good time (sans drugs or alcohol) let the good times roll!! Laugh til you cry, shout and sing! :-) Robert Frost once said, "The middle of the road is where the white line is---and that's the worst place to drive!" Anyway, Longfellow's  is a good quote to remember. Thanks! The arctic wind is whining around my eaves, tho temp. is 22...not "moderate" weather here in Illinois!====JACK:  I'm looking for moderation in the temperature, but the thermometer continues to stay around the zero mark.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can only think of one exception to this maxim, Jack - "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as serving the Lord and not men, for it is from the Lord that you receive your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." (Colossians 3:23-24) No moderation in seeking to serve the Lord in all things!