Thursday, January 16, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/16/14
“You confuse not speaking with not listening.”  (From the musical, Wicked)  I saw a cartoon: “My wife and I had words this morning, but I didn’t get to use mine.”  Often problems at home, at work or in school happen because someone isn’t listening.  I came across some good ideas on how to be a better listener.  Don’t interrupt; look for non-verbal cues; repeat what you’ve heard; seek to understand, not to win.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  "Don’t interrupt; look for non-verbal cues; repeat what you’ve heard; seek to understand, not to win." . . . I'm copying and pasting this in my memory this morning in hopes of being able to recall it throughout my day!====JACK:  Those of us who, by profession, are public speakers, need to learn how to listen when others are speaking.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  This is actually an amazing WW. People sometimes "tune out" with each other, especially when they expect the other person or have had a lot of experiences with the other person being "long winded". Remember Archie Bunker with Edith? I hope today I can remember to "seek to understand, not to win." and tomorrow do that again.====JACK:  Edith knew how to listen.  Archie knew how to talk, but his listening skills could have used an upgrade.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I think it is, "Don't confuse "not speaking" with "listening".   Still good advice either way.====JACK:  I agree that "your" way seems to make more sense, but I went back and checked several sites.  All showed the quote to be as I sent it out.====JON:  Thanks.  It is a great quote used either way.  Life is good...

 FROM HCC CHUCK:  Great advice!!!!!!!!!====JACK:  Yes, "winning" words.

 FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  Great advice!!!====JACK:  You're the 2nd person to respond by writing, "Great advice."  The other person used 9 exclamation marks, and you only used 3.  What do you suppose that means?  Probably that the other person needs the advice more than you do.  BTW, Mary refers to them as a "bat and ball."  Have you heard that expression before? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is actually an amazing WW. People sometimes "tune out" with each other, especially when they expect the other person or have had a lot of experiences with the other person being "long winded". Remember Archie Bunker with Edith? I hope today I can remember to "seek to understand, not to win." and tomorrow do that again.
S.H. in MI

SBP said...

Active listening....


No need to post. Just had to say it.