Friday, January 10, 2014

Jack’s Winning Words 1/10/14
“The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.”  (Okakura Kakuzo)  Did you know that the voice of GPS’s Siri is Australian, Karen Jacobsen?  She’s the one who keeps saying, “Recalculating.”  Some of us could probably use a personal “Siri” to help us simplify our lives by “recalculating” and setting a new direction.  Today’s quote is by a Japanese “Siri” who lived a century ago.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I don't know...Siri gets pretty upset if you don't obey her..."Make an immediate U Turn..."====JACK:  I was doing a crossword puzzle this morning, and one of the clues was: "In Austrailia her name is Karen."  WWs gave me the answer.

 FROM TARMART REV:  I had to turn that voice off on my GPS . . . kept reminding me of how miss-directed I am . . . and on top of that, it had to be by a "woman"!!====JACK: Adam and Eve were told that, too...according to those who believe that God is not male.

FROM DOCTOR ERIC:  I wish it could change the voice of SIRI to Homer Simpson on my iPhone.  My wife is my personal SIRI. She's constantly redirecting me ;)====JACK:  Quote from Homer: "Operator! 

Give me the number for 911!"  ...and you want him to be giving you directions?

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  The  power of "RE":  RE-calculating, RE-form,RE-gress,RE-solutions .====JACK:  Thanks for your RE-sponse.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Recalculating?  "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that!"    Hal====JACK: So, you're a fan of "2001, A Space Odyssey," too?  A really great movie.  I can remember where and when I saw it.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  The comment of recalculation references a fundamental principle in the Bhuddist philosophy regarding the temporality of everything (in this world anyway - a philosophy and not a theology), and their "practice" is to live with the loss of "things", even their own moments. We can learn from this attention to loss, and the appreciation for what we do have while we do have it. For all things there is a season, and a season for all things. We recalculate as the seasons change.====JACK:  I've never thought of the idea of RE-incarnation as a kind of RE-calculation.  Or, it's like kids playing a game, making a mistake, and calling out, "Do-overs!"

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  Yes I have, and my Irish relatives cross themselves all of the time.  It’s actually kind of a nice gesture when you think of it and take it outside the doors of the sanctuary.  They also punctuate sentences with “please God”====JACK:  Your response caused me to think....What is it that I do that expresses my belief in God?  I remember a humble church member who came to church wearing a suit with a small gold cross in his lapel.  I was always impressed by that.====BBC:  I wore a cross for years and years, then it seemed pop culture co-opted the symbol, first Madonna, then the rappers.  The small lapel pin is a good reminder.  Felt the same about WWJD.  In the beginning it was a thoughtful reminder then there were so many permutations and misuses that it lost it’s power.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  And isn't that what makes life interesting, exciting, and challenging? Sometimes it is hard, but that is why  God gave us a brain and  free will to make decisions all of our life.  Each day is an adventure and a challenge.====JACK:  Confession and asking for forgiveness is a sort of recalculation, isn't it?  In the Catholic Church the priest serves as a kind of Siri. 

1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

The comment of recalculation references a fundamental principle in the Bhuddist philosophy regarding the temporality of everything (in this world anyway - a philosophy and not a theology), and their "practice" is to live with the loss of "things", even their own moments. We can learn from this attention to loss, and the appreciation for what we do have while we do have it. For all things there is a season, and a season for all things. We recalculate as the seasons change.