Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 12/18/13
“You’ve got to be a thermostat rather than a thermometer.”  (Cornel West)  I don’t know about your house, but at ours the thermostat gets quite a workout…up and down. That gadget is used to make the house comfortable.  Cornel’s words say that we can be a kind of thermostat in the world around us, cooling down situations, or adding warmth when there’s a chilliness among people.  A smile and kind words might do it.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM MK IN MICHIGAN:  Thank you for touching my life every morning with your winning words. ====JACK:  Your response is a good day-starter.

 FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  Right on - I was just talking about this subject !  Sweet your quote was right on And I practice this ====JACK:  There's a button on the thermostat marked, HOLD.  Hold that smile and those kind words.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  At our house we are a thermocouple...two dissimilar components that are joined together for sensing heat between them.====JACK"  The first time I heard about a thermocouple was when our furnace had a problem.  The repairman explained it to me, and it made sense.  Some "explanations" could help with family problems, too.

 AFROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  a day in a life...====JACK:  A life is made up of single days.  It's usually the people who appear in those days that make them significant.

FROM TARMART REV:  You've got my vote and attention, Jack . . . ready for a lunch at Wal-Mart and popcorn later in the afternoon at Target thermosetting!====JACK:  Fresh popcorn is a great snack, but it's even better when shared with  someone else.

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  Love Dr. West.  Used to listen to him often on the Tavis Smiley show in the afternoon on the radio; now they’ve gone on television I think so I miss the provocative conversations. ====JACK:  Provocative conversation doesn't seem to sell products, so we're left with Honey Boo Boo.

 FROM INDY GENIE:  Wow...good one. (My home thermostat gets a work out too:)====JACK:  Before thermostats, my parents would say to me, "Go down and put some more coal in the furnace, it feels cold in here."

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As Geo. Sanders expressed at his Syracuse U. Commencement Address :"What I  regret most in my life are failures of kindness."  In a Spouse, Friend, profession associate, etc. kindness is such an asset!! Or as Bennet Cerf  once opined: "A pat on the back, though only a few vertebrae removed from a kick in the pants, is miles  ahead in its results". Enuff said! :-)====JACK:  A pat on the back side these days can sometimes get you into a lot of trouble.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We have to be like a Michigander...our weather flexs up and down...from warm to cold to cool to heat.  If we could adjust our weather would our thermostat be at 70, 80 perhaps 65?  A thermometer does come in handy for making sure our temperature doesn't get too high.====JACK:  Goldilocks had the right idea.  She found the porridge that was just right.

 FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA:  I like this one.====JACK:  Ahhhhh!  Just right!



1 comment:

SBP said...

Life IS about helping people! It requires taking care of yourself so that you can continue to be of help ....in many ways to others.
Baseball! My Dad and I used to go to "night" games at Browning Field...local teams. And we'd listen to the games on the radio....better than TV. Just a couple names come up at this point and I,m not certain...White Sox or Cubs....Gabby Hartnett, Bob Feller, Enos Slaughter???
I like "If"....hadn't thought about it for a long time. I'm wondering why I could find only one reference to Kipling,s "If" in Bartlett,s....and it was negative!