Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 11/27/13
“I pledge allegiance to the Earth and all the life which it supports, one planet, in our care, irreplaceable, with sustenance and respect for all.”  (Jessica Lamb)  Tomorrow is that day when we usually recount what it is that we’re thankful for.  Try making a list, using the word, T-H-A-N-K-S-G-I-V-I-N-G, as an acrostic. T could stand for “turkey.”  God is great!  God is good!  We have so many things for which to give thanks.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TS IN MICHIGAN:  Exceptional====JACK:  I wondered how it might be "taken" when I sent it out.  Thanks for being the "first responder."

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Poetically, Thanksgiving says it all as a word, both noun and verb. A personal acrostic: Three (the family God gave me), Humbleness, Action (if we are the body), Nondenominational, Kindness (even where fondness does not exist), Grace, Insight, Virtue (or victory), Incomplete (without giving thanks), Noon (when church is done) Grace (worth repeating).  Thanksgiving has always been a special day for me. I can remember our family (after Dad died) receiving the food baskets from the firemen or the local church folks. How striking it was to be delivering similar help to others in my 20's with my wife and still 40 plus years later. Around here it is Thanksgiving that prepares our hearts for Christmas. We will have around 25 to 30 again this year and if you are near Etna, Ohio you are welcome, we will have family, waitresses, Barista's, friends, soldiers, and who ever we meet today. I prefer Christmas with family but Thanksgiving means fellowship (Baptist code word for eating).  Have a great day Pastor Jack. ====JACK:  What a great family story that you have shared on this Thanksgiving Eve.  Thank you!  Thanks, too, for taking the time to do the acrostic.  Maybe I should sit down and work one out.  A lot of times we give advice, but forget to look in the mirror.

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  we learn this pledge at school during the month of april in honor of earth day.  first we say the pledge of allegiance to our flag, then the earth pledge to the globe.  some of the little ones look at us like we are nuts, changing things up like that!...oh, and, i'm thankful for you and your winning words!====JACK:  I think I'll try that pledge with a group of adults to see what their reaction might be.  Stay tooned!

 FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  And the H stands for Hats Off – hats off to Jack Freed and his daily WW’s.    Much to be thankful for!    EVERYDAY!====JACK:  K is for Kindness that is shown.  Thanks.

 FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  Here's my list:
Time off to spend with my family!
Home, husband and health.
Animals, especially Baxter our dog.
Nancy and Ben, my parents.
Kindness that is shown to myself and others.
Sisters and brothers and my whole family.
God and my faith.
Interest in so many things, the news, my vocation/profession, gardening, films, crafts, art, etc......
Victory for the bond and for the WLC Marching Band.
Involvement in decisions at work and invitations from friends to fun events.
Nieces and nephews and my whole family!!!
Giving -- the ability to be in a position to be able to give to others.
This was a great exercise .... it made think about the many things I am thankful for.
====JE:  Jack, I made an important revision .... can't forget my husband ....Thankfulness abounds,
====JACK:  That's a great list, especially with the revision.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I had nev er seen this pledge, but it is appropriate for this season of the year! Reinforces my recycling intent!---Looks like we will be 43 at the OAKS Celebration, and we will all express thanks for something special to us tomorrow. I'm sure it will run the gamut of T-H-A-N -K-S-G-I-V-I-N-G. We are so blessed! Even tho we have to remember such dear ones in the family no longer clasping hands in the "Thankful Circle"...plus "the others."====JACK:  43?  That's a really, really BIG circle....plus "the others."   I'm reminded of the old country hymn..."Will the circle be unbroken  By and by, Lord, by and by  There's a better home a-waiting   In the sky, Lord, in the sky  In the sky, Lord, in the sky "  You can sing the part of Mother Maybelle Carter.  Strum the autoharp, if you have one

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Hi, JE stimulated me to also think of a list:
T rust that God always seems to give me
H ope
A ngels--both here on earth among us and in heaven
N ormal days--not terribly exciting but I'm EXTREMELY thankful they're still coming at my age
K indness and mercy
S haring which I always hope to learn to do better and for which I am grateful for others who do
G od who gives faith to JE and me too
I nclusiveness - DIVERSITY is wonderful!!!!
V oice to sing and tell the story of how good God is to us, taking care of us all the time
I nner peace
N ice warm house, coat, gloves, scarf and hugs
G race
and bonn appetite--enjoy your Thanksgiving celebration meal!!!!!
====JACK:  Yours is also an excellent list, including some that I wouldn't have thought of.

 FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  As always thanks for your words of wisdom.  David remains in the care center and is failing, but is resilient and who knows what the future holds.  As we went around the table naming what we are thankful for including family, friends, faith and so on my little grand daughter said, "I'm Thankful for brown sugar!"  It was refreshing and surprising.====JACK:  Brown sugar?  That's why kids are so much fun.  When we went around the table filling in the acrostic, THANKSGIVING, for the letter I, my son used the word, intestines.  Without them, we couldn't enjoy our meal. : 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, JE stimulated me to also think of a list:
T rust that God always seems to give me
H ope
A ngels--both here on earth among us and in heaven
N ormal days--not terribly exciting but I'm EXTREMELY thankful they're still coming at my age
K indness and mercy
S haring which I always hope to learn to do better and for which I am grateful for others who do
G od who gives faith to JE and me too
I nclusiveness - DIVERSITY is wonderful!!!!
V oice to sing and tell the story of how good God is to us, taking care of us all the time
I nner peace
N ice warm house, coat, gloves, scarf and hugs
G race
and bonn appetite--enjoy your Thanksgiving celebration meal!!!!!
S.H. in MI