Thursday, November 14, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 11/14/13
“Let me be a little kinder, Let me be a little blinder, To the faults of those around me.”  (Edgar A. Guest)  EAG was a columnist for the Detroit Free Press and his job was to come up with a poem for every issue.  Most of them were homespun thoughts, not considered great poetry in the academic sense.  Maybe that’s why so many people liked them.  We need to be reminded that kindness would make this a better world.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  guest is recommending stupidity.   I think kindness is being aware of your neighbor's faults but not reminding him of them every second====JACK:  I see that you've decided not to take Edgar's advice.

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i have a car magnet that says, "kindness matters".  whenever anyone comments on it i give it to them to display on their car.  i bought several for back-ups.  i'm hoping it will turn into a movement!  (me and arlo!)====JACK:  You gave me one of those magnets.  No one has commented on it...yet, but seeing it on the trunk lid has motivated me to do some "little" acts of kindness.  Thanks!

 FROM TARMART REV:  Brought back a memory of Will Rogers from Oklahoma for some reason . . . probably for him being noted for his colloquialism!  I'm going out today, taking your advice . . . spreading a little kindness!!====JACK:  Just for fun...Keep track of the times today that people show kindness to you.  Will one outperform the other?====REV:  Will do my best to do so and report back tomorrow. 0;-)  PS...Interesting day yesterday as I spoke to a ladies' class of 20 or so at the local Evangelical Free Church about my experiences in reaching out to the community, especially with Wal-Mart and Target in mind. They were just finishing up a series of lessons on witnessing and wanted to look at ways they could put their desire to do so to work for them. Someone had mentioned my name as one to speak to them about it. -- Last evening it was sharing on AA's topic, "Spirituality" with an addiction group at our Woodland Centers that deal with addictions. Usually once or twice a year I'm asked to share. Quite a diversity of expression given yesterday.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I like this. Reminds me of Samuel Johnson's, "While fondness may not always be within our abilities, kindness always is always possible. " (I paraphrase from memory)====JACK:  Acts of kindness will become a "memory" reaction, if we do them often enough.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I think maybe when Jesus said that the poor will always be with you, He might have also said that the unkind, the mean-spirited, the self-righteous, the destructive, the manipulator's, etc., will always be with us as well. We can't "change" others, and lines are seemingly drawn that make even influencing others less frequent. So, we can certainly endure to be kind amidst those who choose otherwise. ====JACK:  Jesus probably didn't say that the mean-spirited and self-righteous will always be with us, because he was a positive thinker who could foresee the possibility of redemption in everyone.====RAY:  Proverbs notes how "arguments" with the foolish is foolishness by the one arguing. I'm not sure positive thinking means being blind to foolishness, but loving the fool -- not for one's choice of foolishness (if one did choose it), but for the wisdom to choose Love instead.  Jesus also knows that there are those who will reject or have rejected Him. I don't think He loves them any less; but I think He will let them go their way just the same. After all, we ate from the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil even though we were told we "shall certainly die"... And God didn't stop us! Instead, He loved us enough to send His Son. Many are called; but not all answer wisely. And I can still be positive.====JACK:  All I'm saying is that I believe God never writes anyone off so long as there is sand left in the hour glass.====RAY:  Amen...and I am saying the same. Being kind amidst "reason" to otherwise assumes the sand has run out. So, being kind to the one whose sand has run through the hourglass would be all the more Christian!

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I'm very sensitive to criticism and aware of having so many things wrong with me but always pray to really soak it up that I am forgiven and that it is God who is constantly helping me, through so many others, with this miserable condition and terrible weakness because, at the same time, have become aware that people who are really hard and demanding and critical of themselves have a tendency to lay such heavy burdens on others around them too. Don't want to be blinder, just want to keep on knowing God in myself and others better. Thanks for your WW words today--thought-provoking once again. You never let us down in provoking us to cogitate.====JACK:  Jesus said, "Come unto me, all ye who labor and are heavy laden and sensitive to criticism, and I will give you rest."  Take your burden to the Lord and LEAVE it there.

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  On that theme:I 'm reminded of advice for a good marriage:"Before you get married you should go in with your eyes wide open,once you're married you should spend the rest of your relationship with your eyes 1/2 closed"..====JACK:  ...and all this time I thought you were squinting because of the bright lights in the TV studio.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is definitely what the whole world needs-more kindness. Les has that book in his collection.  You are very kind to pass along your winning words every day.====JACK:  A favorite of mine is the Bacharach/David song,  "What the Word Needs Now Is Love, Sweet Love,"  I think I'll Google YouTube and listen to Dionne Warwick sing it...Now!

 FROM WATERFORD JAN:  No one ever had to have anyone explain the meaning of Edgar A. "Bud" Guest's poetry.  They struck a chord in the same way that Winning Words do.====JACK:  I can understand and appreciate that there are nuances to great poetry, but I usually like stuff that rhymes.  I also like the common poetic writings of Carl Sandburg.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  As I indicated earlier, I feel Kindness is one of the most important attributes in a  spouse. Certainly makes him/her "wear well" over the years!!  I like the Samuel Johnson quote in your blog (Good Debt John). So true; We can't "LOVE" everyone, but we can be kind!  "God is within: Don't be without!' (David Shouldice)====JACK:  People have had a lot to say about kindness.  Being blind to some of the things that "irk" us can be a good attribute, as well...remembering that we're not always right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very sensitive to criticism and aware of having so many things wrong with me but always pray to really soak it up that I am forgiven and that it is God who is constantly helping me, through so many others, with this miserable condition and terrible weakness because, at the same time, have become aware that people who are really hard and demanding and critical of themselves have a tendency to lay such heavy burdens on others around them too. Don't want to be blinder, just want to keep on knowing God in myself and others better. Thanks for your WW words today--thought-provoking once again. You never let us down in provoking us to cogitate.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

I think maybe when Jesus said that the poor will always be with you, He might have also said that the unkind, the mean-spirited, the self-righteous, the destructive, the manipulator's, etc., will always be with us as well. We can't "change" others, and lines are seemingly drawn that make even influencing others less frequent. So, we can certainly endure to be kind amidst those who choose otherwise.

Ray Gage said...

Proverbs notes how "arguments" with the foolish is foolishness by the one arguing. I'm not sure positive thinking means being blind to foolishness, but loving the fool -- not for one's choice of foolishness (if one did choose it), but for the wisdom to choose Love instead.

Jesus also knows that there are those who will reject or have rejected Him. I don't think He loves them any less; but I think He will let them go their way just the same. After all, we ate from the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil even though we were told we "shall certainly die"... And God didn't stop us! Instead, He loved us enough to send His Son. Many are called; but not all answer wisely. And I can still be positive.

Ray Gage said...

Amen...and I am saying the same. Being kind amidst "reason" to otherwise assumes the sand has run out. So, being kind to the one whose sand has run through the hourglass would be all the more Christian!