Monday, October 07, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 107/13
“I arise in the morning torn between the desire to save the world and a desire to savor the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.”  (E.B. White)  I met E.B. White in Freshman English and became reacquainted recently by re-reading his book, One Man’s Meat.  Charlotte’s Web is his, too.  He savored the world and, by words, enables us to taste it, too.  On this Monday, do you have a goal for the day or week?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  "To share and attempt to model the life of the One who did save the world and try to savor the moment in doing so!" Another good thought to ponder this Monday morning- thanks, Jack!! ====JACK:  You've planned your work....Now, work your plan!

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I like it.====JACK:  Is it hard to plan your day?====GEORGE:  I treated it as a tongue-in-cheek statement. One thing I've noticed:  The busier I get, the easier it is to plan what to do.

 FROM CH ON CAPE COD:  To savor the world.  Then, again, looking at our congress, maybe I should aspire to save the world. (Ha!)====JACK:  Ultimately, there is only one Savior.  The rest of us just have to muddle along and make the best of it.  Frustrating, isn't it?

 FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Carol's 2 little girls are reading Charlotte's Web right now.  A chapter a night.  I got to read one to them last week.====JACK:  I can't remember reading the Web, although I've heard much about it.  I read Curious George books to my grandchildren.  That was fun!

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We can't save the world but we can make a difference in our little world. ====JACK:  "And if everyone lit just one little candle  What a bright world this would be "====JACK:  If each person would do something to improve their little world, as you are trying to do, what a bright world this would be.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  You bet!  Savor each bit of it, and look for opportunities to "save" as well.  With  our Congressional gridlock, WHO can SAVE us??!  Help!  As Tim Sanders says in his book "We Are Rich", "THINK OF FIVE THINGS YOU ARE GRATEFUL FOR TODAY....NOW HOW DO YOU FEEL? :-)====JACK:  When counting our blessings, one thing that we take for granted (I mentioned it last week) is the nearness of God, even when we don't sense it.  Probably the greatest of all of our blessings!

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yes, definitely with a granddaughter's wedding at the end of the week here in Tampa and family and friends coming in from all over the country. She is being married at the same church where her mother and father were married thirty years ago.  Now I just get to enjoy the events and the people each day.  It will all be beautiful and fun.  After the wedding there will be an ultimate frisbee tournament where we all be staying and then a reception at the club where everyone will be riding to and from on the Jolly Trolley. Some of her cousins will be altar  boys, flower girl, and general helpers.  I am looking forward to each day now. ====JACK:  ....and the beat goes on.

 FROM LH IN MICHIGAN:  I am jealous.  I would have liked to have met White to tell him how incredibly helpful Strunk and his English grammar usage book was.   I think it was called "Elements of Style". ====JACK:  I should have put met in quotation marks.

No comments: