Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 10/2/13
“Their mosquito won’t bite me.”  (African Proverb)  I have a good health plan, and maybe you do, too.  Why should I care about those who don’t?  That’s a question being debated a lot these days.  “Their mosquito won’t bite me!”  Elie Wiesel wrote: “The opposite of love is indifference.”  A question keeps nagging, like a buzzing mosquito, “How far do I go in helping my neighbor?...and who is my neighbor?”   ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  They talk about compromise but one side is being asked to give up a key part of their program and the other side has to give up nothing.   How is this compromise?   It is as if someone stole your pet dog and said " We'll give him back for $3000 but then was willing to "compromise" for $1500.   That is not compromise that is blackmail.   To blame both sides here is hogwash.====JACK:  The parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31) is another one that speaks to this issue.====JOHN:  Notice that Lazarus is in "Abraham's bosom.   Abe was fabulously wealthy.   He had learned the key word is to "share."====JACK:  I've always been intrigued by the story of the Japanese  Kagawa, who would continually give "everything" to the needy.  He couldn't keep a shirt on his back.  Many congregations stress stewardship in Oct and Nov.  How much giving is "enough?"

 FROM HY YO SILVER:  Clever language.====JACK:  Yes, those Africans have a a picturesque way with words, Kemo Sabe.

 FROM TARMART REV:  We have a few churches providing rotated scheduled monthly meals at their churches with the idea of helping the hungry neighbors of our community...many of them ask me why our church isn't doing that with these others, as I'm visiting with them daily at the cafe's and fast-food places around town. When I mention we for some time distributed food from a truck on a monthly basis at our church and that we assist another church in town doing the same presently...they aren't aware of that for they eat out and not at home. Good question, Jack...“How far do I go in helping our neighbor?...and who is our neighbor?” ====JACK:  It's an age-old question.  "Who is my neighbor?"  Society, Congress, churches, and individuals have to ask themselves that question.  When it was discovered that the mosquito was causing the disease of yellow fever, something was done about it.

 FROM DOCTOR PAUL:  Always the diplomat!====JACK:  It's been said that I have a way of sticking the knife in so that people don't know that I've done it...until it begins to twist.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It's not about helping our neighbors, it's about how it's to be accomplished.  There's a huge difference.====JACK:  First, there has to be a recognition that there is a problem and, then, whether or not I'm involved in the solution.  The parable of the Good Samaritan serves as an example.

 FROM WATERFORD JAN:  Some of the Winning Words are sweet, some are pithy, some are humorous.  Today's Winning Words really have a bite--the Health Care muddle, love and indifference, social responsibility. Wow!====JACK:  I didn't specifically mention the Health Care issue, only to say that I have a pretty good plan, while some others do not.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  For those who believe that charity is a function of our government, what can be said to satisfy them? For those who think that their blessings and good fortune is by their own hand, and for themselves, what can be said to satisfy them? Our focus is again misdirected when we look to the foolish to solve anything! Which fool through "compromise" brings forth righteousness? Why would a righteous, clear-minded person rely on fools? ...let alone a government of fools to be charitable on one's behalf? Charitable service is not transferable, is it?  Charity cannot be legislated; nor can the corrupt bear good fruit! The simple-minded have surrendered to the deceit by those who lust-for-power. I am most saddened by the increasing quantity of foolishness that I hear and read from those I would only hope would avoid it. I think what we are witnessing, and will continue to witness, is the consequence of deceitful practices that have flourished in government for decades, and the asleep population who has accepted the dark tales and outright lies because it "sounded good". Proverbs 14:15, "the simple believes everything, but the prudent gives thought to his steps".  Heavenly Father, open the eyes of the blind and quiet the tongue of the liars, so that we may see the Truth and know the fruits of the Spirit, and share them as each of us are directed. ====JACK:  All I'm saying is....If I see someone in need, what is my responsibility?====RAY:  And all I am saying is that it is up to "me" (not us) to serve the one in need! Each one of us needs to be charitable, and not rely on others (a government) to be charitable on our behalf. The servants in the parable of the talents were given different amounts of which they were to be good stewards....each according to his abilities. We are to be good stewards. I will never transfer my stewardship to a government. That is indeed a buried talent; and a very disastrous ending! I'm not talking politics; I'm talking Christianity.====JACK:  We're on the same page.

  FROM A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER:  It is in all our interests to have a healthy nation. People who are not sick are more productive.  We who have coverage also pay for those that don’t now via cost shifting at the premium level.  I believe health care is a basic human right similar to food and education that we are all entitled to.====JACK:  I know that I'm in a better mood and am more productive when I don't have aches and pains.  I don't know that helping the needy is a political issue, but I think that it's a moral one.

 FROM LS IN MICHIGAN:  Govt workers don't get paid, too bad Congress does, also Disabled Vets don't receive their checks. What do the 100% Disabled  do? Tea Party gloats that they have shut down so they can try to get their way. Govt at a standstill with the Debt Ceiling in two weeks has be raised or more bigger problems loom. Sad  (:<)====JACK:  The question remains, "Do I have a responsibility when I see others in need?"  Politicians must answer that questions, too.  "Not to decide is to decide."

 FROM HCC CHUCK:  You rarely see it happen but it is said that "We should give til it HURTS"  who is my neighbor " a friend I have yet to meet"====JACK:  Does it have to hurt so much that we say, "Ouch," or should it just make us uncomfortable?====CHUCK:  not sure about Ouch  but it ought to hurt enough to change some of our habits.  More than uncomfortable====JACK:  Some have a lower threshold of pain than others.  "The Lord loves a cheerful gives" is translated in one version..."The Lord loves the one who gives hilariously.  Maybe we should say, "Give until it feels good."

 FROM PR JAN: This is an interesting proverb, and not a true one.  Obviously, since diseases are spread by infected mosquitos, they bite more than one person and inject the disease cells along with their saliva when they "bite".  So, the mosquito that landed on the malarial person IS your mosquito when it lands on you next! ====JACK:  I suppose the word, tiger, could be substituted for mosquito.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:   I agree with your astute point about indifference; I have experienced it personally and have used it as a tactic with others.  I wonder, though, why is it never seen as indifference to the 85 million families that must pay for the supposed 15 million families that theoretically have no way to pay for health insurance?  Can charity flow from a coercive act? perhaps "we" that are "taken care of" are unable to engage in critical thinking?  Where is the love for the 85 percent that pay for these programs (involuntarily)  I feel the "indifference" as you have defined [the opposite of love] every time another do-gooder  program is proposed (cue Roberta Flack's Where is the Love? song).====JACK:  I'm old enough to remember the uproar (by some) over the inauguration Medicare.  I vaguely recall negativity with regard to the introduction of Social Security.  While these could be classified as "political" in nature, many of us have signed up for them.  There'll always be the poor and needy.  What to do about them? is the underlying question.  A friend of mine who lived in NYC would walk to work.  Each morning she would pack two lunches...one for herself and one for the homeless man who sat in a doorway.on her route.

 FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I just found out that I am losing my health plan.  Someone is coming over on Friday to help me sort thru my options!  Hooray for Obamacare!!    Uff Da!====JACK:  It's good that you have somebody to help you.  I heard tonight that scammers are taking advantage of those who don't have trusted helpers.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Many many people need help, and our job is to choose what is the best after taking care of our families. In the past the churches in our country have taken good care of those in desperate need.  When I worked for Catholic Social Service in Peoria, I worked with the orphans in the orphanage and at the home for delinquent girls.  Now it seems that the government is poised to take over with the foster homes.====JACK:  In Michigan, the state has chosen Lutheran Social Services to administer foster care, because the "Church" does a better and more efficient job of caring for people.  The same goes for refugee resettlement.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It's an age-old dilemma, for sure.Even years ago, while touring our  African Mission Fields, the lowly chicken pox virus would wipe out whole villages, as they had very little resistance to it...it was "their" mosquito!  We have no idea how the  present health plan will work out, but I am willing to pay "some" extra so that those presently not insured can share in coverage.  On the other hand, those employed have to be "taught" to WANT health coverage and budget for it. Many of the poor that we work with, are content to rely on Emergency services, when needed. That has to change.Yes, how far do I go in helping my neighbor???  We wrestle on..====JACK:  There's something in the Bible about wrestling.  Our wrestling is not like rassling...it's real and not fake.

..FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  Very appropriate for the day.  I think the health care bill is humane and has many caring qualities.  And actually in theory it should cost us less as more folks have insurance.   I have been paying nursing home costs for my husband since June.  The costs are beyond believe, I hope it evens out and becomes more possible.  My plan is to move him to the Veterans Home.  He is on the list.  I hope this works for both of us as financially it won't  take everything eventually.  It is a scary time.  I pray and need prayers.====JACK:  Humane is the right word.  To treat people humanely does cost money.  It's a matter of priorities, and people have different minds.  I'm with you daily in prayer..

FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  There are so many arguments on this issue ......what ever you intend....and there is legitimacy on both sides. There has to be responsibility from both arenas to improve the present situation....because the givers/takers are becoming resentful as the giving becomes more difficult and the results do not seem to be making an appreciable difference.. ====JACK:  Jesus got into arguments with the scribes and Pharisees over the way that people should be treated.  I'm on his side.


  






 

4 comments:

Ray Gage said...

For those who believe that charity is a function of our government, what can be said to satisfy them? For those who think that their blessings and good fortune is by their own hand, and for themselves, what can be said to satisfy them? Our focus is again misdirected when we look to the foolish to solve anything! Which fool through "compromise" brings forth righteousness? Why would a righteous, clear-minded person rely on fools? ...let alone a government of fools to be charitable on one's behalf? Charitable service is not transferable, is it?
Charity cannot be legislated; nor can the corrupt bear good fruit! The simple-minded have surrendered to the deceit by those who lust-for-power. I am most saddened by the increasing quantity of foolishness that I hear and read from those I would only hope would avoid it. I think what we are witnessing, and will continue to witness, is the consequence of deceitful practices that have flourished in government for decades, and the asleep population who has accepted the dark tales and outright lies because it "sounded good". Proverbs 14:15, "the simple believes everything, but the prudent gives thought to his steps".
Heavenly Father, open the eyes of the blind and quiet the tongue of the liars, so that we may see the Truth and know the fruits of the Spirit, and share them as each of us are directed.

ray Gage said...

And all I am saying is that it is up to "me" (not us) to serve the one in need! Each one of us needs to be charitable, and not rely on others (a government) to be charitable on our behalf. The servants in the parable of the talents were given different amounts of which they were to be good stewards....each according to his abilities. We are to be good stewards. I will never transfer my stewardship to a government. That is indeed a buried talent; and a very disastrous ending! I'm not talking politics; I'm talking Christianity.

SBP said...

There are so many arguments on this issue ......what ever you intend....and there is legitimacy on both sides. There has to be responsibility from both arenas to improve the present situation....because the givers/takers are becoming resentful as the giving becomes more difficult and the results do not seem to be making an appreciable difference..

SBP said...

I'm not disputing your response, but for my edification can you be more specific?