Thursday, October 17, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 10/17/13
“Prayer does not change God, but changes the one who prays.”  (Soren Kierkegarrd)  In church last Sunday people were invited to pray for those with special needs.  I prayed in silence, while some spoke aloud.  Why do people pray?  Is it a request for miracles?  Is it to get God to change his mind?  I’ve come to see prayer as a way to let “a friend” know what’s on my mind and to ask the omnipotent one to work his will that is good.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  I wonder if prayer isn't the way to show God how deeply we feel about something...just how passionate we are about it.  (In my former professional life, clients would frequently challenge me about recommendations I was proposing for their projects.  After some serious discussion they would acquiesce, then tell me they just wanted to see how absolutely committed I was to my recommendations.)  I agree with Kierkegarrd that prayer brings greater awareness to the person who prays.  I don't believe as some people seem to, that we can invoke our wishes about something, because we have such little knowledge about the bigger picture and the purpose of the Almighty.====JACK: Do you think God cares whether the Red Sox or the Tigers go to the World Series, even though some people may be praying fervently that it's their team?====RI:  I think God is not concerned with what team goes to the World Series despite the prayers of some people.  But come to think about it, the Bible tells us, "Be careful for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, let your requests be made known before God in heaven."  Hmmmmm!  Perhaps is similar to the child who gets up on Santa's lap each Christmas season, and asks for certain things.  Santa listens, but that's no guarantee the child will get what is wanted.====JACK:  That's why I think it's best to end prayers with the petition...."Not my will, but thy will be done."...and let it go at that.

FROM TARMART REV:  The Scripture found in James always comes to mind when I think of praying for another . . . "The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results" (James 5:16) . . . would be the last to look upon myself as that righteous person, but always feel unrighteous if I don't offer a prayer for someone, especially when asked to do so.====JACK:  God is aware of the fallen sparrow, just as he is aware of the needs of the person who has no one to pray on his/her behalf.  If you happen to forget to pray for someone, be assured that God does not forget that someone.

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  Like.====JACK:  I wonder if God, in heaven, has a computer, and if, when he hears your prayer (or mine), types out on his keyboard...LIKE?

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Totally agree. When I first started praying for people I disagreed with, I soon found out how nice they had become - it was me who had changed in my opinion of them. ====JACK:  There are several hard parts connected with the Sermon on the Mount.  "Pray for your enemies" is one of them.  "Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect" is another.

 FROM DOCTOR JUDY:  I love your words today Jack!!====JACK:  James Montgomery wrote:
Prayer is the soul’s sincere desire,
Unuttered or expressed;
The motion of a hidden fire
That trembles in the breast.

Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
The falling of a tear
The upward glancing of an eye,
When none but God is near.

Prayer is the simplest form of speech
That infant lips can try;
Prayer, the sublimest strains
That reach The Majesty on high.

 FROM HCC CHUCK:  AMEN     to that====JACK:  I like it that prayers usually end with, Amen....So be it!

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  And to thank Him for all the blessings He has given us.  Thy will be done. ====JACK:  When he was younger, my son was asked to give the table prayer.  "Rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub!"  I didn't correct him.

 FROM RUTHIE:  I remind myself to pray, not sway:)====JACK:  I was taught in seminary that the posture when praying doesn't matter.  "If you pray best standing on your head, then do it."  If you like to pray and sway, do it!

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I've found that when I talk to God, often something mysterious happens that in the process I know even better what is in my mind. Sometimes I believe He just might be just patiently listening for me to know more accurately and truthfully what is in my mind, just like a therapist or pastor or good friend will do. And I guess when I just don't get something, He intervenes and does stuff in my life so that I listen and talk more in line with how He is molding and growing me as a person in His image. Whatever, it is a very helpful and constructive process, this praying thing is, I've found.====JACK:  Prayer is your attempt to tune into God, who is always tuned into you.

 FROM r:  I think prayer is what maintains our conversation with God at the forefront of our consciousness. Since God created all other "things", it makes sense that all other things are subordinate to that whom created them. In addition, it makes sense to develop the relationship that is superior to all other relationships. Or...seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. Prayer, or our conversation with God, keeps our eyes focused on that which we are seeking.

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:   On this theme I'm reminded of the quotation: "If God does not seem as close to you as he did at one time,guess who moved?" mmm====JACK:  That's a very moving response!

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Kierkegaard wrote a lot of good things!! I liked what RI in Boston said, regarding our asking or petitioning God but not knowing the bigger picture, so  leaving the answer with the Almighty.  Why some heartfelt prayers seem to go unanswered will have to wait until WE see the bigger picture on the other side!   We are changed through prayer, for sure!====JACK:  I taught that all prayers are answered, similar to the ways in which parents answer the requests of their children..."Yes" or "No" or "Just be patient, and we'll see."

3 comments:

Judy Lipson said...

I love your words today Jack!!

Anonymous said...

I've found that when I talk to God, often something mysterious happens that in the process I know even better what is in my mind. Sometimes I believe He just might be just patiently listening for me to know more accurately and truthfully what is in my mind, just like a therapist or pastor or good friend will do. And I guess when I just don't get something, He intervenes and does stuff in my life so that I listen and talk more in line with how He is molding and growing me as a person in His image. Whatever, it is a very helpful and constructive process, this praying thing is, I've found.
S.H. in MI

r said...

I think prayer is what maintains our conversation with God at the forefront of our consciousness. Since God created all other "things", it makes sense that all other things are subordinate to that whom created them. In addition, it makes sense to develop the relationship that is superior to all other relationships. Or...seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. Prayer, or our conversation with God, keeps our eyes focused on that which we are seeking.