Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 10/1/13
“The little things?  The little moments?  They aren’t little.”  (Jon Kabat-Zinn)  This quote reminds me of the book, The Tipping Point.  Certain events, little actions begin to cause change.  It may start as just a ripple, but when a few people start acting differently, it can go “viral.”  Little things can make a difference.  Maybe it’s a smile, or a hand-written note of appreciation to someone.  “Little Things Mean A Lot!”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM DOCTOR PAUL:  I loved "the Tipping Point!"====JACK:  Life has many tipping points, some so small that we didn't recognize them at the time.

 FROM TARMART REV:  "I’m a little teapot, short and stout  Here is my handle, here is my spout
When I get all steamed up, hear me shout  Just tip me over and pour me out!"   Don't know why these little choruses come to mind, but they do!!====JACK:  Speaking of "little" choruses, how about..."The little light of mine?"

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  For me, a little thing is our church library. People aren't checking books or DVD's out of our Mustard Seed Library. There are some things which are very important to me and it takes a little cash but I enjoy putting theological books on the shelves in there. And then writing something in the newsletter to the effect that the particular book is in there. It's a little thing and actually, because no one seems to be checking out the books, a person could get really discouraged and hopeless, but I choose to believe that some sort of difference is being made. It is the Mustard Seed Library after all and different from populism or secular libraries.====JACK:  I like these words from Galatians 6:9  "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."  The Mustard Seed is a good name for your library.   Without the seed, there is not fruit.  We need to be patient.  God measures time and result differently than we do.

 FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA:  First, I must apologize for the long time that has passed since we talked. The activity level in the business is accelerating rapidly, to the point that I've been working to the point of mental exhaustion. I'm actually working from home today, just to 'decompress'.   I wanted to acknowledge and confirm your words of the day. There are SO many times we could have given up on bringing Teamability (our technology) into the world -- and so many times that, not having given up, we were rewarded with a miracle. It happened in December of 2009, the company was completely out of cash, nothing more than a trickle of revenue was in sight, but, then, a miracle. The same thing happened at the end of 2010,  a miracle -- completely out of the blue.  I could go on and on with events like this, large and small, and I'm more grateful each time it happens.====JACK:  These words come to mind..."God works in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform."  Sometimes I just shake my head and say to myself, "O, ye of little faith."

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  AS AUDREY HEPBURN ONCE  SAID, "MANNERS....DON'T FORGET ARE KINDNESS. YOU MUST ALWAYS BE KIND!"  MOST OF US LIVE MORE MEANINGFUL LIVES THAN WE REALIZE, AND THE LITTLE THINGS WE DO (AND RECEIVE) ADD UP TO A TIDY SUM OVER  TIME, AND HOW RICH OUR LIVES ARE, BECAUSE "LITTLE  THINGS DO MEAN A LOT!!".  THE TIPPING POINT WAS AN INTERESTING CONCEPT!====JACK:  I remember a farm-oriented radio program in Illinois.  During the broadcast a strong young man was asked to lift a newborn calf.  He did it with ease.  Each day, he would lift the calf.  The reporter wanted to see how many days it would take until he could no longer lift the calf.  That day came.  Eventually, there's a tipping point.  Sooner or later the "little things" add up until we say, "Lord, I can't do it by myself.  I need you."

 FDROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  A little bit of sugar makes the medicine go down."====JACK:  I don't like the taste of some medicines..  Even a spoonful of sugar won't stop me from gagging.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  This is certainly true.  There is nothing better than a picture drawn or colored by a child, a hug from a loved one, a smile from a stranger, and a call from a friend.====JACK:  I sat down for supper with someone recently.  It was the first time I'd seen him since I was his Sunday School teacher long, long ago. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me, a little thing is our church library. People aren't checking books or DVD's out of our Mustard Seed Library. There are some things which are very important to me and it takes a little cash but I enjoy putting theological books on the shelves in there. And then writing something in the newsletter to the effect that the particular book is in there. It's a little thing and actually, because no one seems to be checking out the books, a person could get really discouraged and hopeless, but I choose to believe that some sort of difference is being made. It is the Mustard Seed Library after all and different from populism or secular libraries.
S.H. in MI