Thursday, October 10, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 10/10/13
“Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.”  (Wayne Dyer)  After college a young friend of mine went to work on an Indian reservation.  She came away from that job with a whole new outlook on the problems of the American Indians.  Perhaps, if we, too, were able to walk in the “moccasins” of others, we’d be more willing to adjust our thinking.  Empathy is different from sympathy.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  My understanding of the American Indian changed as well when I had a young couple (wife was from an Indian tribe in Arizona). They had met in the armed services.. It was actually the Mormons who reflected the most caring influence on the young lady's life. Hearing her story and the fact that she left the reservation to join the Army to improve her way of life put within me a deeper respect for the American Indian as a whole.====JACK:  If more of our Congressmen had "face to face" contact with people other than their major financial backers, their actions might be more empathetic.====REV:  Thought the same...paid to find winning solutions but not to openly bicker about whose at fault for not finding the answers they seek. 0:-/

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Great WW. Last Saturday at a Synod hunger workshop, I heard a young man who worked in the Head Start Program speak about how he does his work with the parents and children. He "thinks about our mission in the community we're seeking to serve...how am I carrying my prejudice, my values, my likes and how can I get over this...adjust our actions to meet this population base where they're at...It's not about "saving" them, it's reframing and letting something come about which is sustainable." I believe this young man who works in the Head Start Program is living out your WW today in a really deeply genuine and caring way. Thanks again, I'll try to live them out too in some way, some how. ====JACK:  We each have to light our own candle in that corner of the world where we find ourselves.

 FROM TL IN TEXAS:  Jack, one of my greatest blessings are your daily words of wisdom. You provide daily sustenance and inspiration! Thank you!====JACK:  Inspiration is mysterious.  It means that the Spirit is in us.  Why?  How?  If the daily Winning Words inspires people to change for the better, it shows that the Spirit's work continues.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Walk a mile in my shoes and you'll end up with sore feet! ====JACK:  I had a friend who was a diabetic.  He sometimes complained about his sore feet.  "It's like I'm walking on needles."  I could sympathize, but not empathize.

 FROM OPTIMISTIC ART:  I really like this one.  Thanks for sharing.====JACK:  Winning Words is often a snapshot of my thinking.  I'm glad that you and I are on the same page with this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great WW. Last Saturday at a Synod hunger workshop at Mount Calgary, I heard a young man who worked in the Head Start Program speak about how he does his work with the parents and children. He "thinks about our mission in the community we're seeking to serve...how am I carrying my prejudice, my values, my likes and how can I get over this...adjust our actions to meet this population base where they're at...It's not about "saving" them, it's reframing and letting something come about which is sustainable." I believe this young man who works in Head Start Program in the Warren community is living out your WW today in a really deeply genuine and caring way. Thanks again, I'll try to live them out too in some way, some how.
S.H. in MI