Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 9/3/13
“If you make a mistake, admit it.  If you don’t, you only make things worse.”  (Ward Cleaver)  “Leave it to Beaver” was a popular TV show, featuring the “idealized” Cleaver family.  Each episode typically featured a moralism, such as today’s WWs.  As I think back, those were good shows.  Speaking of making things worse, Ogden Nash wrote:  “In marriage, when you’re wrong, admit it.  When you’re right, shut up.”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ: ward was voted "best dad" by nick @ nite viewers a few years back. my fave, too!====JACK:  ...but nothing like that "silver-haired daddy of (yours)."

 FROM TARMART REV:  "Nash" . . . brought back an old memory this morning, Jack! . . . an old gentleman's, "interpersonal interlude!" 0;-)   Playmates: Beep Beep (The Little Nash Rambler)====JACK:  Good song.  Nash Rambler wasn't so great as a car.  The Rambler was built by American Motors in Kenosha, Wisconsin and was sometimes referred to as the "Kenosha Cadillac."====REV:  Interesting tidbit . . . one I didn't know previously.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Great WW. I wonder if, whether it's after making a mistake or being right in some situation in a marriage, a person need only admit it once or acknowledge it once but not over and over and over and over again whenever some other questionable situation comes up where one or the other people can use the mistake to beat the other over the head. It's making genuine authentic peace in the relationship that is required in my opinion.====JACK:  In old radio days, stations would fade in and out, and you had to make sure you had a clear channel by adjusting and re-adjusting the dial.  I guess it works that way with some marriages, too.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Someone named Dan Heist said, "If you know you've made a mistake, admit it immediately.  It's easier to eat crow when it's still warm!"====JACK:  Some stuff isn't tasty, warm or cold.  I'm not into eating strange foods.====RI:  I used to think that about raw fish too, but now I'm one of the millions everywhere who eat and love sushi.====JACK:  No thanks!

 FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Best Marriage advice I've heard in a long time. Too bad today's sit coms are all about sex instead of morals.. It is sadly reflected in the attitudes of the young people today.====JACK:  We have many channels to choose from...and I don't know if there's one sit com that I watch.  The channel showing the Detroit Tigers is used most of the time.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  This was true in our house both growing up and the way we taught our children (and grandchildren).  They might not get a punishment if they accidentally did something wrong but if they lied about it, the punishment was much worse.  Growing up, it was we wouldn't be able to watch Milky Party Time, or Sky King, or one of our favorite tv shows.  When our kids were growing up, it was not watching tv at all for a certain time.  The grandkids have to sit in the timeout chair.  (I will be honest with you though, our kids and grandkids aren't as punished as we were.====JACK:  We never once "grounded" our three children...which does not mean that they were perfect.  Somehow, they were taught right from wrong in other ways.  Maybe it was the Cleaver method.====JUDY:  Well truthfully, when we were kids my parents would sit us in the living room because we would never "tattle" on each other.  We were each put in a different chair or couch.  Pretty soon we would all be jumping from chair to chair..couch to couch.  My parents weren't big on punishment either....and our kids can tell you how many times they were punished..on two fingers maybe.  I would never think of punishing my grandkids, but a stern look from "Monnie" makes them upset.

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  As long as there is no fee for non-law-breaking admissions, I agree. However, admitting mistakes requires a lot of self perusal....as forgiving/understanding does. It's a two-way street ....established on logic, I think, more than emotion,.- -It's not a simple process-. But I agree and think-- we're more solid individuals when we can admit to erroneous behavior/actions.  BTW...checking out "ephesean/Ephesian" was for noun or adjective...not noun or verb. There, I admit the error.  individuals --when we can and do adnit to erroneous behavior,-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great WW. I wonder if, whether it's after making a mistake or being right in some situation in a marriage, a person need only admit it once or acknowledge it once but not over and over and over and over again whenever some other questionable situation comes up where one or the other people can use the mistake to beat the other over the head. It's making genuine authentic peace in the relationship that is required in my opinion.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

As long as there is no fee for non-law-breaking admissions, I agree. However, admitting mistakes requires a lot of self perusal....as forgiving/understanding does. It's a two-way street....established on logic, I think, more than emotion,.- -It's not a simple process-. But I agree and think-- we're more solid individuals when we can admit to erroneous behavior/actions.
BTW...checking out "ephesean/Ephesian" was for noun or adjective...not noun or verb. There, I admit the error.

individuals --when we can and do adnit to erroneous behavior,-