Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 9/25/13
“The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions.”  (Allen Glasgow)  An Alaskan road sign reads, “Choose your rut carefully, you’ll be in it for the next 200 miles.”  I suppose a cemetery could post a similar sign.  Did you know that the standard grave opening measures 7’2” x 32” x 6’ deep?  The choices we make in life affect our future, remembering that all roads (or ruts) lead to the same place.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Roman Chariots are the fathers of ruts. Railroad track widths , I believe, are still using the width of the chariot wheels.  Have a great day.====JACK:  I've read that the earliest human burial dates back 100,000 years.  The size of a modern grave relates to the standard size of a casket.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY: Well said...wherever we go, we end up in the same place...makes the "way" we get there the most Important issue! I heard it once said, "a rut is a grave with the ends knocked out". I suppose it depends on what kind of rut one is in doesn't it? After all, the righteous path is narrow! ====JACK:  I saw a list of "ugly sounding" words, and rut wasn't on the list.  I think that it should be, although I also think that all ruts aren't bad.  Thanks for good thoughts.

 FROM TARMART REV:  Another interesting thought stimulator ...the average grave opening will be measured differently I suppose in the near future as cremation is fastly becoming the burial of choice in our area anyway; however the "rut of death" remains the same.====JACK:  In our local cemetery two cremation burials are permitted in one grave site.   I read that someone had their ashes scattered at Wal Mart, because they loved shopping there.====REV:  How about at certain golf courses where they enjoyed playing...nothing is out of the realm of one's creativeness anymore.====JACK:  One woman had her husband's remains put in an hour glass.  As she turned it over she said, "He was lazy in life, but now I've got him working."

 FROM DR PL IN MICHIGAN:  Yikes! Bad dream last night????====JACK:  It's suggested that you go to bed with roses in your bedroom, if you want to have pleasant dreams.  Perhaps I heard that from our friend, Wesley Berry.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Another difference between a rut and a grave is that you can get yourself out of a rut.  I seem to be in a kind of rut lately, and I'm afraid if I remain too long it may get comfortable .====JACK:   I was riding with a test driver at the General Motors Proving Grounds.  He showed me how to safely get out of a "rut" situation.  "Don't try to turn gradually.  Turn quickly and sharply!"  He then demonstrated it on the test track, and it worked.  Maybe that how it should be done in life, too.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, I don't mind being in a rut--realizing whether I'm walking or driving, especially in the snow, I like to have a rut cleared for me, but I really want to know I'm following someone who can see ahead clearly and who knows where they're going and doesn't head off into the ditch. ====JACK:  Jesus also told them this parable: "Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into a ditch? (Luke 6:39)  Be careful who it is that you blindly follow.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  A lot of Alaskan roads are just two lane ruts.  Many Alaskan town is only accessible by plane or boat.  We went on an Alaskan cruise and it was fantastic.  We also learned a lot about living in Alaska.  I love the cold weather, but you have to love it a lot to live there.  You facts about the grave openings was an eye opener to me!  Hope I'm not measured for one for many many years! ====JACK:  My mother didn't think it was fun living to 102.  Two husbands and too many friends had gone before her.  What kept her going were her children and grandchildren.  We take it, a day at a time.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  The thought reflects a sullen rainy day like today. It can never be suggested that WW generated thinking in a rut. A coupla thoughts...-for some people a rut is a comfortable secure state. You know where you've been and pretty much where and how you're headed, The ruts on the Oregon Trail represented hopeful anticipation to most of those wending their way.  -a box, a hole, a container....not for me. I smile and feel (in anticipation) much like the feeling expressed in Magee's High Flight...."Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...." And whether I am tossed into the air or the sea....it'll be exhilarating and God inspired, I'm sure.====JACK:  In the end, your spirit will soar, but what happens to the discarded body will be for someone else to decide....I think.

3 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Well said...wherever we go, we end up in the same place...makes the "way" we get there the most Important issue! I heard it once said, "a rut is a grave with the ends knocked out". I suppose it depends on what kind of rut one is in doesn't it? After all, the righteous path is narrow!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I don't mind being in a rut--realizing whether I'm walking or driving, especially in the snow, I like to have a rut cleared for me, but I really want to know I'm following someone who can see ahead clearly and who knows where they're going and doesn't head off into the ditch.
S.H. in MI

SBP said...

The thought reflects a sullen rainy day like today. It can never be suggested that WW generated thinking in a rut. A coupla thoughts...
-for some people a rut is a comfortable secure state. You know where you've been and pretty much where and how you're headed, The ruts on the Oregon Trail represented hopeful anticipation to most of those wending their way.

-a box, a hole, a container....not for me. I smile and feel (in anticipation) much like the feeling expressed in Magee's High Flight...."Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...." And whether I am tossed into the air or the sea....it'll be exhilarating and God inspired, I'm sure.