Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 9/17/13
“Wisdom is the quality that keeps you from getting into situations where you need it.”  (Doug Larson)  The ancient Greeks considered wisdom to be a key virtue… to be able to understand situations and people and make right decisions.  The Bible also speaks of the importance of wisdom.  I particularly like the horse sense that is shown in the Book of Proverbs.  Do you have a favorite among the proverbs?  I like 9:10.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  I like starting right at the top when it comes to Proverbs...1:7 always seems to get me thinking in the right direction, contemplating what I should do in certain situations. 0:-/====JACK:  "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."  (Pr 1:7)   It seems as though you're the "first responder" each day to the "wisdom" of Winning Words.  You prove the truth in the last part of the proverb.

 FROM ED IN CALIFORNIA:  not sure i agree... will comment again post phd writing.  my favorite proverb has to be "A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day." – Proverbs 27:15 Really. For some strange reason i will always remember that one from sunday school... maybe it is because i picture some guy writing the proverbs who just got into a big fight with his wife the night before and decided to see if anyone would notice if he slipped this one in...... Kind of like in college when students slip in funny paragraphs or sentences to see if their professors actually read their papers. I have a friend who got a random, meaningless rather large dragon symbol published on her map in one of her peer reviewed academic papers. She was beyond elated! Maybe I should try this in my dissertation ;)====JACK:  Personally, i thought that today's WWs were pretty benign.  My son wanted to choose Proverbs 26:11 as his confirmation verse, but decided that another one would be more acceptable.

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  My favorite verses for over sixty years is Proverbs 3: 5-6.====JACK:  Your response reminds me of the of Gospel song...."Trust and obey, for there's no other way."  Have you ever sung it?====DP:  Oh yes, we sang that hymn often when I was young !====JACK:  Sing it again!
1. When we walk with the Lord 
 in the light of his word, 
 what a glory he sheds on our way! 
 While we do his good will, 
 he abides with us still, 
 and with all who will trust and obey. 
Refrain:
 Trust and obey, for there's no other way 
 to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey. 

2. Not a burden we bear, 
 not a sorrow we share, 
 but our toil he doth richly repay; 
 not a grief or a loss, 
 not a frown or a cross, 
 but is blest if we trust and obey. 
 (Refrain) 

3. But we never can prove 
 the delights of his love 
 until all on the altar we lay; 
 for the favor he shows, 
 for the joy he bestows, 
 are for them who will trust and obey. 
 (Refrain) 

4. Then in fellowship sweet 
 we will sit at his feet, 
 or we'll walk by his side in the way; 
 what he says we will do, 
 where he sends we will go; 
 never fear, only trust and obey. 
 (Refrain) 

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are two of my favorite books in the bible. In Proverbs one of my favorites verses is: 14:15 (the simple believes everything; but the prudent gives thought to his steps) I find this proverb so useful and applicable today. It seems that in our day critical thinking has been replaced with political correctness. In the latter, wisdom is void, while the "simple" just follow along singing the song given to them.====JACK:  As a follow up, look at 6:16-19..."There are six things the Lord hates,  seven that are detestable to him:   haughty eyes,  a lying tongue,  hands that shed innocent blood,  a heart that devises wicked schemes,  feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community."  And, BTW, show 31:10 to Mary.

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  My favorite quote on wisdom is “Aging is inevitable,wisdom is optional” ====JACK:  Your mind seems to be filled with wise sayings.  You could say. as Jimmy Durante said: "I got a million of 'em!"

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  Thanks…I will pass this one along.====JACK:  Have you ever played the game, "Pass it on?"  Sometimes it's called, "Telephone," a game in which one person whispers a message to another, which is passed through a line of people until the last player announces the message to the entire group. Errors typically accumulate in the retellings, so the statement announced by the last player differs significantly, and often amusingly, from the one uttered by the first.  You could try that with your "Pass it on" today.

 FROM DC IN NEBRASKA:  AMEN -- 9:10====JACK:  Remember 29:11 when "The Big Red" becomes critical of poor Bo.  Our Bo (Schembechler) is an icon in Michigan.

 FROM MOLINER MH:  You sent me to the Bible for this one.  I have any number of Proverbs underlined...22:l, 22:6,20:11, (Your mother must have lived by these also.)  Thanks for "urging" me to seek out the Good Book.====JACK:  Thank you.  25:11.  For picturesque language, I like 30:18,19.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  I echo Moliner MH.....this WW and the comments sent me back to Proverbs...where I had hightlighted many. I keep thinking about how printed words are heard by the "hearers"....each of us has our own experiential basis.... ====JACK:  I have underlined more of Proverbs than any other book in the Bible.  I've often used parts of Proverbs 31 for funerals of mothers/wives.





2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Proverbs and Ecclesiastes are two of my favorite books in the bible. In Proverbs one of my favorites verses is: 14:15 (the simple believes everything; but the prudent gives thought to his steps) I find this proverb so useful and applicable today. It seems that in our day critical thinking has been replaced with political correctness. In the latter, wisdom is void, while the "simple" just follow along singing the song given to them.

SBP said...

I echo Moliner MH.....this WW and the comments sent me back to Proverbs...where I had hightlighted many. I keep thinking about how printed words are heard by the "hearers"....each of us has our own experiential basis....