Monday, September 16, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 9/16/13
“There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still.”  (FDR)  The new Corvette Stingray has a 7-speed transmission which allows the car to reach 60 mph in 3.8 seconds.  Roosevelt, afflicted with polio, was able to drive his 1932 Plymouth at breakneck (non-Stingray) speeds with the Secret Service chasing him.  But, I think the quote relates to the many changes needed to deal with the Great Depression.    ;-)  Jack

   FROM TARMART REV:  ... it's hard to shut those engines down in time for the next stop light ahead when going that fast!! 0;-/ ====JACK:  I'm reminded of this part of a song..."In the back of my mind I hear my momma say  Slow down, baby you're going too fast  You got you hands in the air with you feet on the gas  You're 'bout to wreck your future running from your past  You need to slow down baby
Thinking the faster that I go  The faster that I will reach my goal  The race is not given to the swift  But to the one who endureth."====REV:  Sounds like the makings of a good 'ol country song to me!

 FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  I think the quote has everything to do with life….I like this one a lot.  ====JACK:  There are depressions other than financial ones.  Successful people are able to move on, letting the past be the past.

 FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  Another spin on the idea of time---have you read Mitch Albom's "The Time Keeper"?====JACK:  No, I haven't read that book, but the synopsis looks interesting.  Time is precious, sometimes moving like a 1932 Plymouth and sometimes like a 2014 Corvette.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, this WW I sort of dispute. I think there are many ways of standing still, you can stand still in an agitated and worried and fearful state of mind; you can stand still with a plan and all hopeful that something is going to happen so, when you finally move again, it will be more productive, you can stand still because you're praying and trying to listen to God, you can stand still because you're trying to be kind to someone else and give them a chance to do something important instead of your having to do everything, I figure there are about a million good uses for standing still. Maybe though I'm overthinking whatever point FDR was trying to get across.  Face-to-face with FDR, I would never have dared to have said any of this stuff because he was the President after all and he was taking care of big problems. ====JACK:  James Buchanan was called "The do nothing President."  FDR chose to do something radical to try and bring the nation out of the Depression.  These are words that you might not say, but we have to put them in the original context.  Your point is well taken.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, this WW I sort of dispute. I think there are many ways of standing still, you can stand still in an agitated and worried and fearful state of mind; you can stand still with a plan and all hopeful that something is going to happen so, when you finally move again, it will be more productive, you can stand still because you're praying and trying to listen to God, you can stand still because you're trying to be kind to someone else and give them a chance to do something important instead of your having to do everything, I figure there are about a million good uses for standing still. Maybe though I'm overthinking whatever point FDR was trying to get across.
Face-to-face with FDR, I would never have dared to have said any of this stuff because he was the President after all and he was taking care of big problems.
S.H. in MI