Monday, August 05, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 8/5/13
“It’s like driving your car at night.  You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.”  (E.L. Doctorow)  It’s said that headlights will let you to see 120’ ahead.  Once it was so foggy that I could not see ahead.  I had to open the door and inch along, looking at the center stripe.  Sometimes life situations fog up our faith.  I can relate to the man who said to Jesus, “I believe; help my unbelief.”    ;-)  Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Loved your WW this morning but especially because I am able to picture you driving along so slowly, car door open so you can know where the center stripe was. Thanks be to God you are still here with us!!! ====JACK:  That was only one of several "Thanks be to God!" situations.  We all have them...whether or not we're aware of them.

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  before my dad jumps on this, it's "farther."  hope you pull over in such dense fog next time... & turn on hazards... :)====JACK:  I only prints what I sees.  I guess your dad with have to take the further/father thing up with the author, Professor Doctorow.  Re: Driving in the fog...Yes, sometimes people do stupid things and survive to learn from the experience.  It works the same way when we say certain things when our thinking is foggy.  I've learned from that experience, too.

 FROM TARMART REV:  ... I think of the time I flew in a corporate jet from Willmar to Olathe, Kansas for a three hour stop in which I was able to surprise my mother while they did their business there and flew back home. The whole trip going found me looking out the window at nothing but fog-like clouds engulfing everything outside the jet . . . didn't know we were going anywhere particular, just going!   The pilot was flying strictly by electronic instruments.  Kind of like us at times, flying through life in a fog . . . relying totally on the instruments of  faith in and on our “Master Pilot!” ====JACK:  There was a famous movie, released during WW 2, called, "God Is My Co-Pilot."  I didn't realize it at the time, but maybe God was sitting next to me on that foggy night.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It's probably a good thing that we can only see 120' ahead in life....we might grow faint-hearted if we could see the whole journey ahead of us!  As Johann Wolfgang  von Goethe once said, "With knowledge comes more doubt".(N.Y.post)  One day at a time, Sweet Jesus....have a wonderful one!!====JACK:  With the development of robotic operated cars, we won't need headlights...but I'd rather have some idea where I'm going.  During an airplane flight I'd like to see things as the pilot sees them.  Does that mean I'd like to see things as God sees them?====OAKS:  ON A PLANE, I READ OR SLEEP, RARELY LOOK OUT THE WINDOW, AS I HAVE A TENDENCY TOWARD MOTION SICKNESS....I WOULD GUESS YOU DO WANT, AND TRY TO SEE THINGS AS GOD DOES....YOU ARE MAKING YOUR SR. YEARS COUNT!!====JACK:  I like the Satchel Paige quote:  "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

 FROM CH ON CAPE COD:  We were sailing in Maine with my father last week and it was so foggy one day, that we could not see any of the other boats anchored around us.  We were in our own world.  We had to take the dinghy to shore and back, and used a compass to keep us going in the right direction. ====JACK:  Sailing in the fog without a compass could land you in England.  Do you sound a foghorn in order to warn other boats?

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  How true!  If we just have the faith of a mustard seed!  We should be deeply grateful for such a "Grace-filled" God!  We inch along each day and pray we are on the straight and narrow path even those paths we can't see very well.====JACK:  This song comes to mind as I inch along today.  "Inchworm, inchworm, measuring the marigolds You and your arithmatic, you'll probably go far. Inchworm, inchworm, measuring the marigolds Seems to me you'd stop and see how beautiful they are."

 FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  In today's comics, Peanuts,    Charley Brown told his new phylosophy:  " I only dread one day at a time."      Sounds reasonable to me.====JACK:  Charlie Brown never seems to grow up, and his wisdom always seems relevant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved your WW this morning but especially because I am able to picture you driving along so slowly, car door open so you can know where the center stripe was. Thanks be to God you are still here with us!!!
God bless,
S.H. in MI