Friday, August 30, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 8/30/13
“Every tomorrow has been uncertain.”  (Warren Buffett)  Did you remember to send Warren Buffett a birthday card?  Many people are very interested in the financial advice given by the “Oracle of Omaha.”  An oracle is someone who speaks wise words.  The ancient Greeks believed that oracles spoke the words of the gods.  Omaha’s Warren just speaks common sense today…when he says that tomorrow is uncertain.   ;-)  Jack.

 FROM TARMART REV:  One thing for certain today, Jack, is that it is Friday . . . I'll await the great possibility, we will visit once again on Monday (the Lord willing, of course)! 0;-)   PS- Happy Birthday, Warren!! ====JACK:  Each minute/second is uncertain, but we take them, one at a time...and move on.  The good Lord willing, and the creek don't rise (we'll have that new barn finished in time for the harvest).  I didn't know the end of that well-known saying.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Not only "tomorrow" is uncertain...today is uncertain too.  Even yesterday is uncertain...we don't know how things we did may come back to haunt us.  We just survive hour by hour.  Some humorous insight about our uncertainty came from my teen son and his friend some years ago as I was driving them somewhere.  We observed a dead squirrel flattened on the road, and the boys commented that squirrel probably woke up this morning thinking, "this is gonna be a beautiful day!"====JACK:  A great observation.  Maybe it was a beautiful day in that it was the day that the squirrel went to "squirrel heaven."  Doesn't it say in the Bible that not even a squirrel (or does it say, a sparrow?) falls to the ground, but that God is aware of it?  I think that there's a message here for all of us in this world.

 FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA:  Not long ago I read a fascinating book about Warren Buffet, called "Tap Dancing to Work". It consisted entirely of stories about, and commentary by, WB that had been printed in Forbes between the late 1970's and 2012.  It was edited by Carol Loomis -- a senior editor at Forbes who became a personal friend of Buffet's over the years, and is a Director of his charitable foundation.  ====JACK:  Tap dancing to work?  I like it!  I don't think I ever tap dance to work, but I really liked my job.  I'm going to see if our library has that book, and, if not, I might even look for it on Half.com.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Missed his birthday again....  I like Warren and I like a lot of what he stands for and his common sense.  He is a true success story.====JACK:  Warren's been a success in more ways than just financially.  Take away the financial equation and would we be calling him a success?  Success comes in various disguises.

No comments: