Monday, August 26, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 8/26/13
“We shall never know all the good a simple smile can do.”  (Mother Teresa)  Many of the pictures that I’ve seen of M.T. show her with a smile.  As you may know, she formed a group of nuns to care for the sick, the hungry, the homeless.  It’s said that smiling is a sign of friendliness, and “the poorest of the poor” got a smile from Teresa and her sisters.  Do you remember the song…”It isn’t any trouble to S-M-I-L-E?”  It works!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I cover that in my book, chapter on reciprocity.====JACK:  Reciprocity is a pretty big word.  You must have a university education.

 FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  Hugging works too...a friend of ours is a disciple of Amma from India...you familiar with her? Seems like another lady with a remarkable personality and history. ====JACK:  Is it possible to hug without a huggee?  BTW, I notice in church that people sometimes "pass the peace" with a hug instead of  a handshake.  What do you do?====HAPPY TRAILS: Tactical decision made on circumstances.====JACK:  I read that Amma means, "mother," in many languages.  Mothers are generally huggers.

 FROM MK IN MICHIGAN:  My Niece has a baby boy, Charlie and when he first sees you he gives you a quick smile and then he studies you seriously for a reaction, of course your heart is filled when he does that and you smile or laugh and his next reaction is a huge smile and then the study again!  He is a Downs baby they were pretty wrecked at first but the entire family is now seeing what these people of God have to offer!  My Aunt was Downs and we knew how loving they are and what they bring to the table of life!====JACK:  What is the difference between "normal" and "abnormal."  Sometimes I think that our judgments are flawed.
There are smiles that make us happy  There are smiles that make us blue
There are smiles that steal away the tear drops  As the sum beam steal away the dew
There are smiles that have a tender meaning  That the eyes of love alone will see
And the smiles that filled my heart with sunshine  Are the smiles that you gave to me?

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  When you travel, especially out of the country, you realize that a smile is the universal language! I toured the "infant home" of Mother Teresa in India...row on row of cribs with babies, hardly room to walk between them, and the nuns tried to hold or cuddle each  one  periodically which was a BIG job! Pictures and sayings of Mother Teresa lined the walls. Quite an overwhelming task, administered with love....====JACK:  When faced with an impossible task...SMILE.  Do you remember this song?
Mommy told me something a little kid should know.
It's all about the devil and I've learned to hate him so.
She said he causes trouble when you let him in the room.
He will never ever leave you if your heart is filled with gloom.
So let the sun shine in, face it with a grin.
Smilers never lose and frowners never win.
So let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in.

 FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  A simple piece of advice both of my parents and Aunt Elene understood.====JACK:  Arthur Miller wrote, in Death of a Salesman, "He's a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoelace."  A smile is a good start for anyone trying to make a sale.  Does it work in the courtroom, too?====ME:  Anywhere when it is genuine.  My Father used to tell me to "Follow a smile" when you walk into a room full of people you do not know.  I think of him and that piece of advice every time I walk into a crowded room.====JACK:  One thing that I'll always remember about your dad is his smile...a big wide one.

 FROM BADGER DONNA:  I love this song. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I85ApzR43jU
Hope to see you and your smile tomorrow."====JACK:  I, too, like Nat singing about smiling.  There are lots of good songs about smiling.  BTW, you're probably not old enough to remember the comic strip, "Smilin' Jack." .

 FROM IKE AT THE MIC:  Since you’ve referred to Mother Teresa,I thought you might appreciate the following riddle:”What do you call a nun that walks in her sleep? Answer: A roamin catholic..====JACK:  Mother Teresa had a sense of humor..."I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much."

 FROM MOLINER JT:  it takes more muscles to frown than to smile.====JACK:  It's time to give my face a rest.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Excellent WW! This was one of the topics at the Detroit Media Mastery seminar I just returned from.  Smiling is important, so many go through life looking like they were weaned on a pickle.. .  I think I'll go practice.====JACK:  Weaned on a pickle?  I like it.  I prefer the sweet variety, but a dill slice is good, too, when needed.  Too much sweetness, however, turns me off.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Smile and the world smiles with you.====JACK:  The quote continues, "Cry, and you cry alone."  Ain't it the truth?

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We sang that song a lot in Girl Scouts years ago.  It's a good song to make each other smile!  Smiling doesn't cost a thing but has great rewards.  (One of our favorite programs was "Smile your on Candid Camera!"====JACK:  Candid Camera did make me smile.  Other things make me smile, too...like talking with children during the "children's sermon" at church.

No comments: