Friday, August 23, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 8/23/13
“I never would have amounted to anything were it not for adversity.  I came up the hard way.”  (J.C. Penney)  Penney’s is close to folding.  Where is old “J.C.” when he’s needed?  The first Penney’s store was called, “The Golden Rule,” and the clerks were instructed to treat customers as they, themselves, would like to be treated.  I would suggest going back to that idea…if Penney’s were to ask for my advice.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  people just want the cheapest imported garbage possible... hence, walmart thrives.====JACK:  They don't thrive because of me.

 FROM CL IN SANTA BARBARA:  FYI, CEO Mike Ullman is a good friend and strong Christian. ====JACK:  I personally like Penney's, and I'd like to see them succeed in a tough market.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Since the creation of "self-service" (which actually means "no service - you're on your own"), a generation has grown up without any real experience of what service truly is. There is a fortune to made by those who could restore the experience of service again. That's how I treat and desire to be treated. ====JACK:  Self-service is for impatient people (like many of us).  Who would  want to sit at a gas pump, waiting for an attendant to come and pump your gas, clean your windshield, open the hood and check the oil, and check the tire pressure?  Not me.  I even use the ATM, instead of going into the bank  I haven't yet gotten used to the self-check aisle at the grocery store..

FROM TARMART REV:  Adversity sure will help us discover what we are or are not made of . . . I experience it every time I have to drive around Chicago, IL.====JACK:  Last September I breezed through Chicago (mod-morning) with absolutely no slowdown.  I-Pass allowed me to bypass the toll booths, too   Speaking of adversity, I think Mark Twin said, "A certain amount of fleas is good for any dog."

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is good advice for everyone and for every business.  Have you flown on an airplane lately?  Things have certainly changed there.====JACK:  I remember flying from Detroit to the Twin Cities once on a DC-10 which seated about 300+.  There were only about 10 passengers.  The service was great.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Legend has it that old J. C. took prospective executives to lunch and if they salted their food before tasting it, they were not considered for employment. He wanted people who gathered all of the facts before making a decision.====JACK:  Legends usually surround famous people.  What are some of those that people in the ad business say about you?

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I LIKE THIS TRUISM!====JACK:  I like truisms better than falsisms

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  The Golden Rule is a guide for each of us every day!!!!!!!!!!!!====JACK:  I remember when each Penney's store had a long yellow bar, with the name J.C. Penney on it, across the front, standing for the Golden Rule.  In fact, they were first called, The Golden Rule Store.

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  J. C. Penny was the graduation speaker in 1946 when my wife graduated from Carthage College.     It was a small class – only about 28 in it, and I being a ‘close’ friend of her had opportunity to speak one on one with JC.   He was a dear old man, at that time in his 70’s or +, but very humble and down to earth.   When ever I visit a Penny store I think of him – and how he’d have problems with the way they operate the stores now. ====JACK:  A lot of old-timers would "roll over in their graves" if they knew of happenings in the world today...even in the church.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Our J.C Penney went to high-end, avant-guarde merchandise, which didn't fit the needs of the middle class clientele they served, and it didn't attract the wealthier high-end buyers, either, who disdained to shop at J.C.'s...(they'd probably have said their frock came from "Jacque  Penn-ay" if they did!)  Our store came  very close to closing, and still hasn't turned around, in spite of different merchandising now, tho it is busier. A huge store. My (and Jan's)  first "paying" job was working part time at J.C. Penney's in Moline. I put "paying" in parenthesis, 'cuz every payday, dad would have to give us money to settle our account. We bought more than we earned!! :-) The store manager had us walk through the store modeling teen fashions, on weekends, and we were pretty good sales girls... J.C. himself was highly regarded in the business world.====JACK:  My mother worked at "Monkey" Wards, and we took advantage of the 10% employee discount when buying clothes.  In fact, I even bought a replacement motor for my Model A Ford through the MW catalog.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, I just had a conversation with a woman friend this past Thursday and she said she grew up with a cushy life but somehow developed a strong compassion for those who "had not". Just goes to show whether a person grows up with adversity or not, they can end up nice people anyway. Actually, I wonder if a cushy upbringing isn't more of an adversity to having compassion for the "have nots" and living the golden rule than the hard knocks of deprivation of material stuff.====JACK:  Your response reminds me of the old story of someone hitting himself on the head with a hammer.  "Why are you doing that?"  He responds, "Because it feels so good when I stop."  I don't know if I really want adversity in order to make me feel better when it's over. 

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Since the creation of "self-service" (which actually means "no service - you're on your own"), a generation has grown up without any real experience of what service truly is. There is a fortune to made by those who could restore the experience of service again. That's how I treat and desire to be treated.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I just had a conversation with a woman friend this past Thursday and she said she grew up with a cushy life but somehow developed a strong compassion for those who "had not". Just goes to show whether a person grows up with adversity or not, they can end up nice people anyway. Actually, I wonder if a cushy upbringing isn't more of an adversity to having compassion for the "have nots" and living the golden rule than the hard knocks of deprivation of material stuff.
S.H. in MI