Friday, August 02, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 8/2/13
“We’re all born under the same sky, but we don’t all have the same horizon.”  (Konrad Adenauer)  I live in a neighborhood where there are many trees.  One of the drawbacks is that I never can see the horizon.  The sky is just---up.  A world view must involve looking around and seeing more than just where we live.  In fact, I’d like to see the world as the astronauts see it.  Or, maybe, figuratively, cut down the trees.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TARMART REV:  ...not astronaut, but I can see a great friend, looking beyond Minneapolis/St. Paul, around Chicago and all the way to West Bloomfield, MI!! ====JACK:  That's quite a telescope that you have.  I see that Target has one on sale for $119.99.  Is that where you got yours?

 FROM JF IN TUCSON:  You and Conrad have underscored what Cal and I love about our location.  The trees we have in the back shield us from the drive-through alley, but the lack of any in the front allow us to see the majestic Catalina Mountains to our North.  What joy they are to behold for a multitude of reasons. ====JACK:  I'm always have a good feeling when I see horizons.  It's a freeing experience.....not cooped up anymore.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Have you read My Dream of Stars by a young Iranian immigrant to our country a few years ago?  It is an amazing story in my opinion of what can be accomplished here.====JACK:  Three of my grandparents were immigrants who sought new horizons.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We have trees but the big ones are in the backyard and our backyard in 20 feet higher in the front than in the back.  So, we can look passed the trees at Fish Creek.  The front yard is open to the cul du sac.  If you look beyond the homes, you can see a train about 3/4 of a mile away.  When there is fog off Lake St. Clair, the train sounds like it is coming right through the house.  On the other side of the train tracks is a horse boarding barn.  I am content with my horizon but I know there is a lot more passed the horse barn...a big beautiful world outside our windows.====JACK:  I saw a story about "A View From the Outhouse".:  It showed a picture of a bear, standing in the doorway, looking in.  That's one horizon I don't want to see.

 FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  I'm particularly aware of the trees on summer holidays.   The lake directly behind my condo has fireworks almost every night for two weeks (what's that all about?) but I cannot see a single flare.  The trees are tall and thickly leaved.   I only hear the BOOM.====JACK:  It's the same thing in our neck of the woods.  We can't even see the flare when it's right next door.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Different viewpoints even though under the same "sky" makes for a  diverse and interesting  interaction! Amazing how our horizons expand  as we learn, and experience, and grow older and hopefullyl, wiser!  I read a very interesting quote from Alvin Toffler:: "The illiterate if the 21st Century will not be those who cannot read or write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn." At the rate new  information is discovered, I think he is right!!====JACK:  Even views about what's wrong and right are subject to change.  It doesn't mean that there's no longer any right and wrong.  It's the "what" that changes.

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  Horizons? Trees? Comes to mind---"I think that I shall never see..A poem lovely as a tree...."And at least the first couple lines of the song Beyond the Blue Horizon...an oldie. The stimuli of WW and the comments are, for me, horizon expanding virtually every day.

 FROM RAL IN ILLINOIS:   I moved my chair around the other day so I could view the hummingbird feeder. I didn't see a hummingbird, but found a whole other busy bird world from my new place! It is good to change your view, and I always try to look through the eyes of love:)( Just like my Mama told me)- Happy Day!====JACK:  Do you remember the song, "My Mama Done Told Me?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Horizons? Trees? Comes to mind---"I think that I shall never see..A poem lovely as a tree...."And at least the first couple lines of the song Beyond the Blue Horizon...an oldie. The stimuli of WW and the comments are, for me, horizon expanding virtually every day.