Friday, July 26, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 7/26/13
“In all honesty, everyone is struggling.  Some are better at hiding it than others.”  (Will Smith)  Harry Golden’s essay, “The Show Must Go On,” tells of a man who was late for work one day and was reprimanded by his boss.  Later in the day, the man quietly said, “My daughter died last night.”  Everyone handles grief and disappointment in a personal way.  Everyone has their struggles.  Try to be understanding today!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  i thin i'll wear my moccasins today to remind about "walking a mile" in someone else's.====JACK:  Be sure to put a pebble in there.====MARY:  oh and, thanks for today's song of the day from "godspell".  can't stop singing it.  great tune and a fun one for " lyric variations".

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I used to say to my clients who thought their suffering was due to circumstances that a better financial position would cure, the wealthy suffer too. They just have the wherewithal to disguise it and distract themselves by things that money can buy. In the end, they too end up in the cemetery right next to the fool (from Solomon in Ecclesiastes -- with some paraphrasing). There is no escape from this life on earth; but for the Life not on earth!====JACK:  One of my favorite Jesus stories is about the rich man and Lazarus...Luke 16.

 FROM TARMART REV:   I'm reminded today of the old KJV of Philippians 2:12, about working out our salvation in fear and trembling. The Message Bible states it this way, "Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God’s energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure." When I read a thought challenging statement or story like today, it always reminds me I have more to learn or remember while I'm working out my own salvation, and yes with fear and trembling at times.====JACK: Working out our salvation is easier when we remember that it is only by "grace."

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  These WW remind me of the two masks that symbolize drama...one with bright eyes and wide smile, the other with teary eyes and melancholy lips.  Some persons integrate the two masks, exposing the happy face but feeling the sad one.  Wasn't there a song years ago about "laughing on the outside, crying on the inside"?====JACK:  One line from that song goes:  "I cry, my eyes are dry The tears are in my heart."  I think I'll go to YouTube and hear Dinah Shore sing it.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Excellent advice for living each day.====JACK:  The Swedes have a hymn that's a favorite of mine....Day By Day.
Day by day, your mercies, Lord, attend me, bringing comfort to my anxious soul.
Day by day, the blessings, Lord, you send me draw me nearer to my heav’nly goal.
Love divine, beyond all mortal measure, brings to naught the burdens of my quest;
Savior, lead me to the home I treasure, where at last I’ll find eternal rest.

Day by day, I know you will provide me strength to serve and wisdom to obey;
I will seek your loving will to guide me o’er the paths I struggle day by day.
I will fear no evil of the morrow, I will trust in your enduring grace.
Savior, help me bear life’s pain and sorrow till in glory I behold your face.

Oh, what joy to know that you are near me when my burdens grow too great to bear;
oh, what joy to know that you will hear me when I come, O Lord, to you in prayer.
Day by day, no matter what betide me, you will hold me ever in your hand.
Savior, with your presence here to guide me, I will reach at last the promised land.

 FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  Great subject for a sermon!====JACK:  I find ideas for sermons every day everywhere.  Jimmy Durante used to say:  "I got a million of 'em."

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Reminds me of a quote by astronaut wife Barbara Cernan: "If you think going to the moon is hard, try staying at home!"  The recent book about the astronaut's wives highlights  their struggles, and the comfort they gave each other.  Yes, everyone does struggle at times, so as one pastor always  puts in his bulletin, "be kinder than necessary to everyone you meet today, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."====JACK:  A pastor that I know would begin every worship service by asking, "Is there anyone or anything we should be praying about today?"  As the people spoke he would jot down notes and refer to them during the Prayer of Day.  When I substituted for him, I followed that example.  On those occasions Prayer Time seemed more real!

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  LAL.====JACK:  YW.

 FROM CWR IN MICHIGAN:  Thanks

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  Today's WW (sermonette) created a feeling of poignancy. People "put on a happy face" to pass on a pleasant demeanor while dealing with difficulties of their own (unspoken). Thank heaven for sensitive caring persons of this sort....and there are many, many of them.

 FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I agree 100%.






2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

I used to say to my clients who thought their suffering was due to circumstances that a better financial position would cure, the wealthy suffer too. They just have the wherewithal to disguise it and distract themselves by things that money can buy. In the end, they too end up in the cemetery right next to the fool (from Solomon in Ecclesiastes -- with some paraphrasing). There is no escape from this life on earth; but for the Life not on earth!

Anonymous said...

Today's WW (sermonette)created a feeling of poignancy. People "put on a happy face" to pass on a pleasant demeanor while dealing with difficulties of their own (unspoken). Thank heaven for sensitive caring persons of this sort....and there are many, many of them.