Thursday, July 25, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 7/25/13
“Don’t do something permanently stupid just because you are temporarily upset.”  (Unknown)  A friend of mine will write a hot letter to someone who has upset him, and then he tosses it into the waste basket.  Not a bad idea!  How do you keep from doing something stupid when you’re upset?  I choose to let some time pass.  To change the subject, but not to change the subject, I like the song, “Something Stupid.”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TRIHARDER:  Great advice!====JACK:  Buy low!  Sell high!

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i use the 24-hr rule. it gives me a chance to cool down, think about it, probably not do it.====JACK:  Some people seem to think that the "5 second rule" for dropped food also applies to the cool-down period when upset.

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  Amen Jack! Did you know that when you get angry your IQ actually drops as blood is diverted from your brain to your body for a fight / flight action? Thank You :-)====JACK:  I wonder what the record is for the lowest IQ?  Some people seem to want to break it.

 FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Good advice.  By definition when angry one almost always says something inappropriate and regrettable. I had two good teachers for that proposition, each in a different way.  I might add that, while I try, I do not always practice what I preach.  Sometimes taking yourself out of the situation, however seemingly awkward at the time, also helps.  I used to walk out in the middle of an intense deposition when I found myself getting upset.  I would ask to excuse myself and explain that I needed a restroom break.====JACK:  Even preachers don't always practice what they preach.  Somewhat similar (but maybe not) is the saying, "A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client."  The bathroom break is a good suggestion.

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  A walk around the block has often given me a chance to cool down. ====JACK:   I suppose there were certain situations that required two, or more, trips around the block.

 FROM DOCTOR PAUL:  I talk to Jack! LOL====JACK:  You didn't have to add LOL.  You could have used VBD.====PAUL:  .AAYF

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  THESE ARE SUCH GOOD WORDS! I THINK OF PEOPLE WHO COMMIT SUICIDE OVER A ROMANTIC BREAK-UP, OR ''"TO SHOW YOU!"  IF ONLY (THERE ARE THOSE TWO WORDS AGAIN!) THEY COULD STOP AND TAKE THE LONG LOOK, AND KNOW THINGS ARE NOT GOING TO STAY DARK AND DEPRESSING, GET HELP TO DEAL WITH WHATEVER...MOST AGREE THAT GIVING THE SITUATION SOME TIME, HELPS A LOT. WHO WAS IT SAID, "DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF...P.S. IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!"  IN THE BIG PICTURE THAT PROVES TO BE PRETTY TRUE.====JACK:  The problem with the depressed is that the can't (or choose not to) see the big picture.  It is so frustrating to try to reason with the unreasonable....but we should not give up trying.====OAKS:  THAT IS SO TRUE... THEY ARE MIRED TOO DEEP TO HAVE A GLIMMER OF A POSITIVE OUTCOME OR FUTURE.  WE'VE DEALT WITH THAT TOO.  PROFOUND DEPRESSION IS A TERRIBLE QUAGMIRE!!

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  I have surprised myself at my age but I find lying down and praying and then taking a nap does wonders, especially when the cat always seems alert to what I am doing and comes to nap with me. It's really surprising how that can get me on balance again.====JACK:  Do you suppose that when cats take cat naps, they're doing it to cool down?  Seriously, taking a "prayer break" seems like a good idea.

 FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Another good one. I have learned over the years the the written word is too easily misinterpreted sooooo when I am upset I will write the letter and put it in the draft file for at least one day. It is amazing the changes for the better that come from that. Of course the only exception is the letters to you. They come straight from the heart, soul, foot in mouth, etc. Remember the old song....." You only hurt the ones you love, the one you should not hurt at all."  All toooooo true.====JACK:  The other day, Mary  was reading and enjoying letters that had been sent to her by her father many years ago.  Other letters, not so nice, can last equally as long.  And, yes, I remember that song.  In fact, I'm listening to the Mills Brothers singing it on YouTube right now.

 FROM TARMART REV:  The good 'ol "count to 10" before you speak works good for me, and the older I am now, the slower I am to get to ten . . . that's even better!!====JACK:  Even better is the Lawrence Welk method...a one and a two and a three and a four etc.====REV:  Good line w/ bubbles to boot!

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  What is it that makes the "upset" only a temporary response? It certainly isn't Time; but what happens during the Time. What do you suppose it is -- reason? reflection? something else?  ====JACK:  For those who know something about steam engines (as you probably do)...  When the pressure in the boiler becomes too great, there's a pop-off valve that opens and relieves that pressure before something "bad" happens.  Some people have better pop-off valves than others.

 FROM NE IN MICHIGAN:  Boy oh boy, can I relate to this one!====JACK:  Sometimes it's surprising to find out that there's a gang of people in the same boat...And sometimes it's not.

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  I agree with you about letting time pass and, love this quote.  Thanks! ====JACK:  I came across a site: 10 Tips to Control Your Temper.  Without listing them, one suggested "talking it through" after things have cooled down.

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  I compose a letter on the computer, wait three days, reread (and sometimes change it) then either send or delete.====JACK:  The DELETE key is a wonderful invention.  So is the SEND key....except when you push it when you meant to push DELETE.  Oops!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Jack! Did you know that when you get angry your IQ actually drops as blood is diverted from your brain to your body for a fight / flight action? Thank You :-)

Anonymous said...

I have surprised myself at my age but I find lying down and praying and then taking a nap does wonders, especially when the cat always seems alert to what I am doing and comes to nap with me. It's really surprising how that can get me on balance again.
S.H. in MI

Anonymous said...

I have surprised myself at my age but I find lying down and praying and then taking a nap does wonders, especially when the cat always seems alert to what I am doing and comes to nap with me. It's really surprising how that can get me on balance again.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

What is it that makes the "upset" only a temporary response? It certainly isn't Time; but what happens during the Time. What do you suppose it is -- reason? reflection? something else?