Friday, July 19, 2013

Jack’s Winning Words 7/19/13
“If only we could get a little older a little later and a little wiser a little younger.”  (Dick Gregory)  In 1968 Dick Gregory ran for President against Richard Nixon.  If only he had been elected…what difference would that have made?  Think about some situations in your life?  I wonder if it’s true that “If only” signifies a regret for the past.  I’d rather see it as a reflection on opportunities that have come our way.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TRIHARDER:  "Youth is wasted on the young."   "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."  Bob Seger====JACK:  I like both quotes, especially the one from our neighbor Bob.  I believe that you are in the midst of a 300-mile ride to benefit the "Make-a-Wish Foundation."  You're as young as your body allows you to be.  Pedal on!

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  It seems that "only" is the crucial word.  Consider "If we could..." compared to "If only we could...", the first implies potential, however the second implies some limitation.  Isn't "only" the pivotal word, suggesting an opportunity missed, and apparent regret?====JACK:  Olney, England, is the town where John Newton lived when he composed the hymn, Amazing Grace.  It's also the site of the Pancake Race which has been held annually since 1445.====RI:  If only I'd known about Olney before I wrote you this morning!====JACK:  The women of Olney have a "timed course" race with the women of Liberal, Kansas each year on Shrove Tuesday.  I'll bet you didn't know that.  You probably don't know what a pancake race is, either.

 FROM TAR-MART REV:  "I’d rather see it as a reflection on opportunities that have come our way..." We've all had a "smorgasbord" experience with them...It's too easy to over-fill our plates to where we can't fully enjoy our meal...best to select on or two healthy portions this time and when in the area again, stop in and try a new one to see how it tastes.====JACK:  How old were you when you began to be conscious of eating-healthy, rather than just eating?  Food for thought!====REV:  65 and 50 lbs. ago.====JACK:  Does the Target popcorn come with salt and butter?====REV:  Just light salt my popcorn...ver good and popped every 15-20 minutes.====JACK:  If you're serious about healthy living, you're going to have to forgo even that light salt.  I watch my diet, but a little bit of salt in the oatmeal makes it taste just right.

 FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  This one goes in my "Favorite Quotations."    I do think "if only" signifies regret.  I spent a lot of time convincing my husband that we do the best we can with the information we have at the time.  Second-guessing oneself is useless.====JACK:  Another comparable expression is:  "What if...."  Life doesn't have "do overs...," at least, not in the same way.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I heard Gregory on Imus in the Morning today.  Everyone has a right to his or her own opinion.  Some elections are won and some are lost.  The real problem, in  my opinion, is the decline of the family in our country.====JACK:  Fill in the blank in this sentence...."If only (                ), we wouldn't have the decline of the family in our country.

 FROM KC IN MICHIGAN:   I just love your winning words.====JACK:  ....and I love sending them out, especially when I get responses from people like you

FROM MADONNA:  I love the Winning Words and read it daily at work.====JACK:  I'm glad to know that Madonna reads Winning Words.  Often times at work people need words of encouragement.  Feel free to share them with others.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Dick Gregory would have made a great president. He would at least have seen the humor in the Washington debacle.====JACK:  Two of my favorites who didn't become presidennt were Adlai Stevenson and Hubert Humphrey.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  "IF ONLY.." CAN MEAN BEING RUEFUL ABOUT PAST DECISIONS THAT CAN'T BE RECTIFIED, OR A WISH FOR FOR THINGS TO CHANGE, LIKE, "IF ONLY" MY GRANDKIDS LIVED  CLOSER, OR I HAD MORE MONEY TO GIVE TO HELP WORTHY  CAUSES, ETC. ETC. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT ADLAI S. AND HUBERT H. WOULD HAVE MADE EXCELLENT PRESIDENTS! IF ONLY THEY COULD HAVE BEEN ELECTED....:-) ====JACK:  Have you read Kipling's poem, IF?===OAKS:  Many times....and sent it often to graduates in  days gone by.

 FROM ANONYMOUS:  "If only..." and "What if...." stimulated very interesting conversation this evening with family members. Thanks, again.`
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"If only..." and "What if...." stimulated very interesting conversation this evening with family members. Thanks, again.`