Monday, June 17, 2013

Winning Words 6/17/13
“Who’s the most important man this country ever knew?” (Spike Jones)  Who’s the most important?  “Barney Google, with those goo, goo, googly eyes.”  He was Google before Google.  Barney, the comic strip character, first appeared on this date in 1917.  In fact, I once belonged to a Barney Google fan club.  I liked Spike Jones’ music, too.  Back to the subject, who would you name as our country’s most important person?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I would say the person with whom I am with most, the person I wake up with every morning, and the person to whom I would be wise to better serve. It's the same person - my wife. Thanks for an easy question!====JACK:  To day would be a good day to tell her so.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Martin Luther King, Jr., and I think I say that because the most pressing challenge in my life right now is how are people going to make a more equitable and just and fair society in my own community which is just adjacent to the City of Detroit so that we have a neighborhood that is peaceful and safe to live in and enjoy having our home in. Yep, it's Martin Luther King, Jr.  ====JACK:  Last night I saw part of the movie, "To Kill a Mockingbird."  When will be ever learn?  MLK Jr was an important teacher.  Each generation needs its teachers and motivators.

 FROM WALMART REV:  ...grew up with heroes...watching some of the old "Saturday Morning Western Shows" I bought at Wal-Mart the other day (150 of them)...these were the Anne Oakley 30 minute westerns (4-5 of them)...the bad guys never got away with their crime...Anne was right on top of things...I could use a few new heroes in my life from those here in America presently...don't hear of them much anymore...seems like everyone has their skeletons exposed to the world (even suggested ones, not always proven to be so) by those wanting to defame a person)...Jack, come to think of it-you are one of my heroes that I can count on to inspire me to greater worth each day! Thanks...====JACK:  In a college speech class, I was asked to give a George Washington's Birthday talk.  The prof gave me an A on the presentation, but also gave me a lecture (in front of the class) because of the content.  I had dug up many historical negative facts about GW.  The class laughed, but I was told that it was inappropriate to try and denigrate honored people for laughs. ====REV:  That is very interesting...definitely a different outlook today..."closet  material" more accepted, sought after and expected, and unfortunately present in all our lives...very humbling to me. Makes me not want to be in the spotlight...but at times will find myself stumbling up to the front row!====JACK:  One of the problems that pastors face....The pulpit is usually placed higher than where "the people" are.

 FROM TS IN INDIANA:  Abraham Lincoln====JACK:  That's a very good answer and just what I'd expect from a "Civil War buff."

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  Abraham Lincoln====JACK:  I thought that you were going to say..." Theodore Celms or Martin Holcomb."

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  Living:  Pres. Obama   Dead:  Tie between George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.  One got us started, the other kept us going.    I am a little worried about where we are going.====JACK:  Worried?  You're in good company.  There was uncertainty after The Revolution, after the Civil War, after the Nuclear Bomb, after the Racial Revolution, after Obama's election, etc.  Before TV, picture news was presented on the movie screens with the title...Time Marches On!====ME:  Probably for many different reasons, there is an absence of political leadership in our country, in both parties.  Long on form, but short on substance.====JACK:  Perhaps it's because we're more media driven than before.  The instantaneous reporting tends to make us more fickle.  It's hard to be a leader when daily polls are taken indicating whether or not people think you're doing a good job.  I'd hate to have a daily performance review.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  I think it is the same person whether looking forward or back: "The common man" (or common person, if you will).  There are no so called important people without the mass of humanity that is America. The common man lifts, builds, shapes, both land, shelter, and means of production he is the foundation of society, without him and her there are no Warren Buffet's, Mellon's, Edison's, Tesla's, or pampered politicians(Romans 12:4-5).    It is the mom, Mrs. Palmer the social studies teacher, it is kid at the fast food joint, the West Virginia Coal mine worker, my Barista Melissa at Starbucks (where I am heading now). It is the Detroit auto worker, even the ones currently in Alabama and Tennessee. It is the man who builds the fence, Jim brokering churches, it is Mrs. J. from Vietnam that tailors my suit, Dana the businessman that risks his capital to provide services for our little town, it is the young team with the next Google, Youtube, or Twitter. It is the college student that figures out the answer is not in a book. It is you, me, your blog readers, that are the most important. All of the Most Important People you read/hear/see in media would not be there without the effort of the common man mixed with their own unique initiative and discipline. Take away the scorecard of money--and then who is the greatest? I'm going with Mrs. Palmer, my sixth grade Social Studies teacher. ====JACK:  Your response reminds me of a favorite music  piece of mine...Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland.  Carl Sandburg also eulogized the Common Man in much of his poetry.

 FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  I too loved Spike Jones and his crazy band.  I would list these men.
Washington, because he set the tempo for the Presidency, Edison, because without him we would be devoid of so much. Franklin, because without him the continental congress would have been divided.
Noah Webster for his contribution to education Carver, who proved color did not separate genius,
Adams, Jefferson, Madison and the other founding fathers who had the vision. John Smith, who had the courage,  Carnegie, Rockefeller, Mellon and the giants of the 19th century who helped America explode into history economically  Far too many that have made great contributions to name just one.====JACK: This shows that you were paying attention during history class.  Just like the United States is strong because of each individual state, it is also strong because of many individual persons...like you.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  WOW!! TRYING TO PICK "ONE" AS THE MOST IMPORTANT??!  IMPOSSIBLE, I'D SAY!  AND THERE HAVE BEEN SOME WOMEN, TOO!  ELEANOR ROOSEVELT, WOULD BE  ONE HELEN KELLER, ETC.  OUR COUNTRY HAS A WONDERFUL LEGACY OF OUTSTANDING PEOPLE WHO HAVE IMPROVED OUR LIVES WITH INVENTIONS, SCIENCE DISCOVERIES, RELIGIOUS LEADERSHIP. HOW BLESSED WE ARE.  AS BILL CLINTON SAID, "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH AMERICA, THAT CANNOT BE CURED BY WHAT IS RIGHT WITH AMERICA."  WELL SAID!====JACK:  You didn't name Barney Google.  Rosa Parks would be a good one.  The first female president should be another on the list.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is a very hard question. In the beginning it would have to be George Washington.  But then you have to consider Abraham Lincoln because we not be one country today but several like South America.====JACK:  It's like asking someone,  "Which person is most important to the family?"

 FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  I had that record--a thick one--about 1/4 inch--on my grandma's old Edison crank phonograph.  I played it all the time when I was at the farm.  Almost wore it out!   I could sing it for you now! ====JACK:  We could sing it as a duet.

 FROM CWR FORMERLY FROM B'MORE:  Snuffy Jones.........====JACK:  Close.  Snuffy Smith.  Also, Spark Plug, Loweezy, Tater, Jughaid, Elviney, Lukey and Parson.

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  There are many but my top 3 choices  Jesus Christ,  Abe Lincoln and Thomas Edison====JACK:  The Mormons believe that the resurrected Jesus lived in America, so I guess that counts.  Lincoln and Edison are worthy choices.

 FROM DS IN MICHIGAN:  H-m-m-m. Define important.====JACK:  Chief, critical, crucial, essential,  exigent, foremost, importunate, mattering much, meaningful, paramount, signal, significant, vital.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Abe Lincoln ====JACK:  I suppose he referred to you as, Chet, too.

 FROM MK IN MICHIGAN:  Now that is a tuffy!  Would depend on where you come from I guess!  Can’t think of one I would pick, for me it would have to be someone who brought about peace, who is your pick?====JACK:  You're right.  It would depend on circumstances.  I would have to choose someone from my lifetime, since historians have a way of writing their own version compared to reality.  I'm going to say, Harry Truman, because he became president by accident and made some difficult decisions which greatly affected the direction of the country.  He was was also the first president I voted for.

 FROM SBP IN FLORIDA:  WW poses a question that I would deign to answer.....To my way of thinking...”Good”  reflects personal effort and commitment...”Better” is what is built upon it...and “Best” reflects the combined efforts of all three.......with the support of equally committed persons.,,,,but I’m limited in my philosophical training/background.  Good Question.  Allows and accepts everyone’s opinions.  Thanks for the darts.====JACK:  I'm taking a poll.  When you cast your first presidential ballot, who did you consider to be the better candidate?

 FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Spike Jones was my favorite band leader at that time. I have several of his records  including "You alwasy hurt the one you love".  He was very inovative with his music..but he finally made special newslines when he went after his wife with a pistol threatening her.  Kind of tarnished the image I had of him.====JACK:  Maybe he'd sipped Cocktails for two...more than he should have. 

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Abraham Lincoln...of course, who else would we say was the most important?  But, we really do think he was!====JACK:  Someone answered, Jesus.

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

I would say the person with whom I am with most, the person I wake up with every morning, and the person to whom I would be wise to better serve. It's the same person - my wife. Thanks for an easy question!

Anonymous said...

Martin Luther King, Jr., and I think I say that because the most pressing challenge in my life right now is how are people going to make a more equitable and just and fair society in my own community which is just adjacent to the City of Detroit so that we have a neighborhood that is peaceful and safe to live in and enjoy having our home in. Yep, it's Martin Luther King, Jr.