Friday, May 24, 2013

Winning Words 5/24/13
“Why do strong arms fatigue themselves with dumbbells?  To dig a vineyard is worthier exercise.”  (Marcus Valerius Martialis)  Several years ago a man that I knew offered his condolences to a neighbor whose husband had died.  “If there’s anything I can do, let me know.”  She answered, “Well, my husband was going to spade the garden.”  If our concern is serious, there are gardens in the world that need spading.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM WALMART REV:  "If there is anything I can do!?" Over-used phrased for a well intended thought, with very limited ability or even true concern to follow through on. Kind of like, "How are you doing!?" Really? I've learned to say, "It is so nice to see you and I hope you are enjoying your day!" 0;-) PS- by the way, Jack...I WILL look forward to hearing from you again on Monday! Have a very pleasant weekend. 0;-)====JACK:  If you say it, mean it.  This applies to many situations (including from the pulpit).  I don't do holidays, so I hope to "see" you on Tuesday.  On Monday, I'll be at Pine Lake Cemetery for the annual community Memorial Day observance.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  "Right shoulder,,.. shovels. Forward, match!"====JACK:  "Hi Ho Hi Ho, it's off to work we go.  We dig, dig, dig, dig, dig, dig, dig, dig.  It's what we like to do."

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It has always been easier to speak the words than to do the word .====JACK:  There's the story of an Indian who was looking at a smoke signal in the distance.  He said to another Indian..."Heap big smoke, but no fire."  Some people blow a lot of smoke, but the fire never gets going.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  WE ONLY HAVE SO MUCH TIME, SO WE HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHEN WE SAY, "I'LL PRAY FOR YOU" OR "WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?"   BUT MOST PROBABLY WE COULD DO MORE PHYSICALLY FOR THOSE IN NEED OF A HELPING HAND THAN WE DO!  THE BRIDGE TABLE, THE GOLF COURSE, THAT GREAT BOOK OR SPORTING  EVENT OR TV SHOW.....BECKON SO SEDUCTIVELY !   A GOOD REMINDER FOR ME TODAY!====JACK:  ....and there are those blessed souls who really mean it when they say it.

No comments: